Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano's expectations will be met or else « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 28, 2012, 09:30:17 PM

Schiano's expectations will be met or else

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Dezmon Briscoe chose not to take part in all offseason workouts, and is no longer with the Bucs.

By ROY CUMMINGS | The Tampa Tribune
Published: July 28, 2012

TAMPA --
For a variety of reasons that did not include injury, four players missed parts of the Buccaneers offseason workout program this year. By the time training camp workouts began on Friday all four were gone.

Two (S Tanard Jackson and WR Dezmon Briscoe) were released, two others (TE Kellen Winslow and DT Brian Price) were traded, and it didn't seem to matter a bit that Jackson, Winslow and Price were starters or that Briscoe led the Bucs in touchdown receptions last year.

Yes, there is a new sheriff in town. His name is Greg Schiano, and the message he delivered to his team through those four sudden and shocking roster moves is now clearer than ever.

Schiano is not a coach who will make promises to players he can't keep the way Jon Gruden sometimes did or one who will try to make friends with his players the way Raheem Morris sometimes did.

Schiano is all about teaching football and winning football games, and in his attempt to do that on a consistent basis he will lay out expectations, which he expects to be met, or else.

"Coach (Schiano) is a detailed guy, a guy that really defines what he wants and what he expects and if that doesn't come through, then there is accountability,'' Bucs general manager Mark Dominik said.

"There are clear expectations of what we want to be as an organization and of what we expect from our football players, and coach Schiano has made that very clear to these guys.''

The conditioning test Schiano ran his players through the fist day of camp may be the best example of that. Schiano promised his players for weeks that the test was coming and he delivered on the promise.

In that way Schiano is different even than Tony Dungy. Dungy used to "threaten'' his players with a conditioning test, according to veteran Ronde Barber, but he never actually put them through it.

"He's a very concise speaker, so there is no confusion about what he expects,'' Barber said of Schiano. "Every hour and every minute of the day is scripted and that's good for this team. We need that.

"Our expectations are not to be a rebuilding team with a first-year head coach. He's coming in here to win and that's good. I appreciate that philosophy so the sooner we all buy in to his way of doing things, the better off we'll be.''

Two better than one

Schiano is not a big fan of the rule in the new CBA that does away with two-a-day workouts in training camp. Schiano says the rule is forcing him to work his players harder in one practice than he might in two.

"It really quite frankly would be better to have two (practices) instead of burning them up in one, but we have to get the work done so we're attempting to work through it,'' Schiano said.

The single workouts have so far run for about two-and-a-half hours each with only two five minute breaks. Players were clearly dragging near the end of both workouts but Schiano believes that will change.

"We'll get accustomed to it,'' he said. "And we'll get acclimated again because that has got to become an advantage of ours as we progress without running ourselves down at the same time.''

Woulda-shoulda-coulda

Briscoe was one of those who failed Schiano's conditioning test and he believes that had something to do with his release. But he also believes he was never a part of Schiano's plan going forward.

Speaking to reporters in Washington, where he landed after Dallas, Cincinnati and Philadelphia also put in waiver claims on him, Briscoe said he believes he's still be a Buc if Raheem Morris were still their head coach.

"The coaching staff, they pretty much hand-picked their guys and knew who they wanted,'' Briscoe said. "And with the disciplined program they're running (and) me not showing up to voluntary workouts, I think that made a big difference as to why I'm not there now."

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 28, 2012, 09:32:10 PM

Without reading. Schianos's expectation must be met, or else... or else you'll be traded or released. We got that. Thanks!

youngone

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 28, 2012, 09:34:35 PM

Without reading. Schianos's expectation must be met, or else... or else you'll be traded or released. We got that. Thanks!
there ya go, now you're getting with the program!

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 28, 2012, 09:34:56 PM

Desmon Briscoe chose not to participate in all offseason activities? Where did he get that Nike jersey from then? He wasn't in camp to have worn it. I also read he showed up for week 2 of Voluntary OTA's.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 28, 2012, 11:40:27 PM

It doesn't take a lot of analysis to figure out Mr. Briscoe doesn't have a real good handle on the concept of "accountability"... In other words, when the bar is set and he fails to meet the standard being set for the TEAM, instead of owning up to or correcting his failure, he accuses his coach of wrong-doing when other players do meet the standard... ::) ::) From reports we've all read, the whole team was well aware of what Schiano's expectations were...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 28, 2012, 11:42:26 PM

For a variety of reasons that did not include injury, four players missed parts of the Buccaneers offseason workout program this year. By the time training camp workouts began on Friday all four were gone.

thats not ego.  thats letting guys decide for themselves if they want to be Bucs.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 28, 2012, 11:54:48 PM

thats not ego.  thats letting guys decide for themselves if they want to be Bucs.
Voluntary, plus Briscoe reported to 2nd week of OTA's. Price was still dealing with the recent loss of his sister too. Or am I wrong?

bashear

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 28, 2012, 11:58:32 PM

Frightening efficiency.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 29, 2012, 12:01:09 AM

Voluntary, plus Briscoe reported to 2nd week of OTA's. Price was still dealing with the recent loss of his sister too. Or am I wrong?

so briscoe is half-committed.  great.  im glad its not good enough for the standard schiano is attempting to set.  price is always dealing with something, and the Bucs grew weary of it.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 29, 2012, 12:26:46 AM

"**CENSORED** CAMP, I HAVE TWITTER TO UPDATE"  ::)

Sound right to you?

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#10 : July 29, 2012, 12:36:15 AM

JennaLaineBucs
#Bucs DT Gerald McCoy on Brian Price signing with the #Bears: "That's one of my family members." http://lockerz.com/s/229080150

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 29, 2012, 12:38:36 AM

Not impressed with the roster moves being made.  They smack of a man trying to make a point without getting solid value in return.  That is not good NFL football.  It sucks, to be honest.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : July 29, 2012, 12:54:09 AM

Not impressed with the roster moves being made.  They smack of a man trying to make a point without getting solid value in return.  That is not good NFL football.  It sucks, to be honest.

what do you believe price, briscoe, tjax, and kw2 are really worth?

i dont love cutting the guys, i thought they had potential.  but im not upset over a lost 7th either.  those guys didnt want to be a part of the Schiano Way...so good riddance.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 29, 2012, 12:59:46 AM

what do you believe price, briscoe, tjax, and kw2 are really worth?

i dont love cutting the guys, i thought they had potential.  but im not upset over a lost 7th either.  those guys didnt want to be a part of the Schiano Way...so good riddance.
There is the WINNING way, or the SCHIANO way.  To date, winning is far greater than Schiano is.

Not impressed with ditching guys just to ditch them to MAKE A POINT.  This is not college.  This is not Friday Night Lights.

You need to recoup some value, considering what was originally gave up to get them.  All these cats that were ditched were scooped up VERY quickly, and have shown various stages of production.  To throw them away like so much garbage is plain and simply...goofy.  Dom is getting bullied, and it is obvious.  And Schiano needs to realize a few things.  One of the first is that this isn't college.  And teh second is you need to build via the draft.  And the more you acquire, the better off you are. 

It was just simply a mistake on S's part to do things the way he has.  It just...IS/WAS.  Nobody is going to change my mind on this.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 29, 2012, 01:06:32 AM

Or?   I want it all. 

And I thinks it's clear there is a standard applied that everyone must consistently comply with or accept the consequences. 

Its not to make a point.   But I'm certain it's a standard.  I'm good with it. 

Better than anything we've had in the last 10 years.   Biotch when there is something to biotch about IMO...   

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano's expectations will be met or else « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools