Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roger Goodell OK with scab refs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 27, 2012, 03:39:17 PM

No surprise to see Charles Woodson complaining about refs. Packers got EVERY call last year.

Pewterman

Starter

#31 : August 27, 2012, 03:40:41 PM

In their defense, the replacement refs have gotten dramatically better. Now they make mistakes that even the old refs would. I'm sad that there's no Ed Hochili to blast away some fools with his huge guns but they can really only get better. I think what we forget is that we hate and scrutinize the refs regardless of who's throwing the flags. World's greatest scapegoats.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#32 : August 27, 2012, 07:03:33 PM

They're obviously slower and forget some of the basic things like giving the number of the player they're penalizing.  They botched the toss a couple of times. I think a billion dollar industry using high school scab refs is pretty bad for the sport and bad for the fans who pay top dollar to see the game.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 27, 2012, 07:22:19 PM

They're switching to high school refs? When did this happen?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 27, 2012, 07:26:54 PM

yea nothing like hyper boll!

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 27, 2012, 07:30:42 PM

In their defense, the replacement refs have gotten dramatically better.

Replacement officials continue to make a mockery of the NFL

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/replacement-officials-continue-mockery-nfl-114253266--nfl.html

Bears K Gould calls replacement refs 'clueless;' Titans DC Gray cites 'Three Stooges'

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19897790/bears-k-gould-calls-replacement-refs-clueless-titans-dc-jerry-gray-cites-three-stooges

Vikings' Chris Kluwe criticizes replacement refs on Twitter

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-08-24/Vikings-Chris-Kluwe-tweets-replacement-referees/57296742/1?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+%28Sports+-+Top+Stories%29

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 27, 2012, 07:31:59 PM

They're switching to high school refs? When did this happen?

yea nothing like hyper boll!

Victor Cruz says he overheard replacement ref saying hed only worked high school games

http://playerperspective.com/nfl-lockout/victor-cruz-says-he-overheard-replacement-ref-saying-hed-only-worked-high-school-games/

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 27, 2012, 07:33:26 PM

Many of these officials come from the high school or college sub-division level, one was fired from the Pac-10 back when it was the Pac-10 in a sweep-through of underqualified refs, another was fired from his teaching job for sending hate crime-level mail, and another may have been fired from the Lingerie Football League.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/replacement-refs/

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 27, 2012, 07:37:29 PM

" another may have been fired from the Lingerie Football League. "

Not my fault, I got distracted.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 28, 2012, 05:27:19 AM

The ref problem will come to a head after the first week of games - especially during a nationally televised game like MNF.

Pewterman

Starter

#40 : August 28, 2012, 10:24:31 AM

The ref problem will come to a head after the first week of games - especially during a nationally televised game like MNF.
I said they got better. Not that they're any good.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#41 : August 29, 2012, 08:23:25 AM

NFLPA head discusses referee issue:

Q: Can the Players Association do more to resolve the impasse between the NFL and its officials?

A: We have done a lot. I stay in touch with Scott Green from the Referees Association. I've met with the National Football League about the issue and made our concerns abundantly clear to them. We've been very public in saying that we believe on a scale of 1-10 the use of replacement referees in the preseason is a 12. That goes up to a 16 now that you're entering into the regular season.

Obviously the game is going to speed up, the demand on the referees increase, the physical strain on our players increases exponentially, and you're facing a situation where the league has made an affirmative decision to remove the people that we consider to be the first responders to safety on the field. It's rather obvious that the only people on the field who are not competing, who remain objective to enforce the rules, to ensure that the players remain safe, are the referees. And to make matters worse, there are really three fundamental facts that are inescapable.
start quote The only conclusion that I have [about the use of replacement officials] is that the league cares more about money than it does about the experience of the [regualr] referees as a vehicle to increase player safety. end quote
-- DeMaurice Smith

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/08/28/smith/index.html#ixzz24wA8JFyz

shadowhawk2020

Rookie

#42 : August 29, 2012, 10:10:50 AM

The biggest problem I have with the backup refs is the amount of time it takes to call even the most basic penalty.  They huddle up amost every time a flag is thrown and it really throws off the momentum of the game.

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#43 : August 29, 2012, 10:29:57 AM

How hard can it be to ref a game? Come on really... The sport is so popular now even layman know most rules. The camera does over half the work

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 29, 2012, 10:32:24 AM

Being a referee at any level is extremely difficult. You know not of that which you speak.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roger Goodell OK with scab refs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools