Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roger Goodell OK with scab refs « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

Sweep

Hall of Famer
« #75 : September 26, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »

Curious if you defenders of scab refs still feel that way

I certainly can't defend the regular refs/ union putting a gun to the head of the NFL and the fans of the game who want quality officiating for the long term.  They're being offered a generous raise and  a 401 K plan as opposed to a defined pension plan and they're rejecting both.
In addition, Roger Goodell and the NFL has to be given the right to judge an individual referee's performance and the right to fire.  All fans should demand the NFL have this right for the good of the game.

Where the NFL messed up, was not properly preparing these officials or better yet, there were/still are plenty of quality officials they could have used due to the NFL's vast resources.

The game will suffer long term if the NFL caves on the issue of right to fire.  I'd also like to see the NFL be able to make at least some of the refs full time.  The Ref's union wants no part of that.  The judges, lawyers, etc who belong to the union have the best of both worlds...their full time job and a $150, 000 year part time job they can't be fired from.  Not bad, eh?

At this point, the NFL needs to train these guys fast or get better replacements in.    However, the big picture is long term and the NFL should not cave in.
« : September 26, 2012, 10:51:37 AM Sweep »

It’s going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon they’ll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #76 : September 26, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »

The referees have a significant role in the NFL and I have no issues over their negotiating for a better contract. I didn't complain when Brees signed his $40 million contract.

Why would you or should you care what the referees bring home, income-wise?

Sweep

Hall of Famer
« #77 : September 26, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

The referees have a significant role in the NFL and I have no issues over their negotiating for a better contract. I didn't complain when Brees signed his $40 million contract.

Why would you or should you care what the referees bring home, income-wise?

Income wise is where the NFL could "give in" as a compromise, even though the NFL's offer is way more than generous.  They should not cave in on the direct pension vs. 401k plan, though,  imo, out of principle.
The NFL's right to judge performance though should not be negotiable.  The multitude of times in my life as an NFL fan I've heard NFL fans complain that an NFL official can make a bad call without any repercussions  are too numerous to mention.

At this point, though, a good old fashioned Reagan style firing/banning of the air traffic controllers is what the NFL should do  to the union refs  for the long term good of the game.  They most likely won't though, they'll cave in most points and the game will suffer for it.  We'll be back to the regular refs making horrendous, game-changing  calls of their own with no repercussions.

It’s going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon they’ll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

« #78 : September 26, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

For those complaining about the replacement refs, many have forgotten the regular officials make boneheaded calls as well. Quick reminder

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #79 : September 26, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »

Refs are human and will make mistakes, but the NFL refs are the best in the business. Scab refs are rejects from almost every level of football - including those who've been fired from the Lingerie League.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/story/2012/09/25/replacement-ref-who-called-td-wasnt-ready-for-div-i-tutor-says/57842200/1

http://deadspin.com/5946536/official-who-signaled-seahawks-touchdown-was-deemed-not-ready-for-division-i-football-this-summer

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #80 : September 26, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »

Every mistake that has been made has been blown up by the media , and magnified due to the fact that is was made by a replacement ... when regular refs make a bad call we are just told it is part of the game and to deal with it , then it is swept under the rug and forgotten.

Not forgotten by me . I remember how sh!tty the regular refs can be.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roger Goodell OK with scab refs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools