Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking to buy a new laptop.(BIGGS Edition) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
: August 13, 2012, 09:01:03 PM

Maybe some of my trusted cohorts can lend me some friendly advice.

First off, I want to spend around 15-1800 dollars.  So I want a GOOD laptop.  I want it to be versatile, I don;t game on the PC much, but I want to keep that option open should I happen to be in the mood to do so.  I want it to be fast.  Have a lot of storage capacity, blu-ray read/write, media friendly, and with a larger screen...15" screen just seem a bit smallish to me, but I suppose I could live with one if the laptop was good enough.

Please lend me some help in this matter.

Currently, I have my eyes on an HP Envy17 (I am not going to get the 3d model, just no need for 3d on a 17" screen, no?)

My other option would be an Apple without the retina screen.  I am not spending 2300 on a laptop.  But Ihave heard it is very user friendly, has a nice screen...

Thanks.
: November 05, 2012, 12:42:26 PM Boid Fink

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 13, 2012, 09:11:38 PM

B-man

I have an old Acer that I love.  My wife has gone through 3 different laptops, in the time I have had this Acer.  I keep saying I am getting a new one soon, and she wants my old Acer when I decide to retire it.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#2 : August 13, 2012, 10:00:34 PM

Acer is about the worst brand you could choose.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 13, 2012, 10:49:10 PM

Acer is about the worst brand you could choose.

Like anyone cares what you think?    Go study up on Bucs trivia, that seems to be your forte.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 13, 2012, 11:18:14 PM

Check out Toshiba Qosimos. 17" screens, big hdds. Solid state holds less but loads quicker. Look for 8gb ram or more in that range. Sorry, typing from phone, otherwise could give you more advice lol

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#5 : August 13, 2012, 11:21:55 PM

I like Toshibas.   

Behind Enemy Lines

Second String

#6 : August 13, 2012, 11:29:54 PM

Asus or Toshiba

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 13, 2012, 11:33:46 PM

A couple of things to look for would be a
usb3.0 port
hdmi out port for your TV
8GB of memory (sometimes buying less when you buy the comp is ok, just make sure the computer can take the amount you wanted to upgrade to, motherboards can be finicky)
SSD hard drives are the future so if you can get one that has one or can be upgraded later that would be great
Some laptops don't like vid card changes so make sure to get what you need because some are tough to change or can't be changed

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 14, 2012, 12:32:53 AM

Alright, for 1600 dollars (yikes), this is what I have put together, so you techies can tell me if this system sounds good, and worth the money I want to spend on it... HP ENVY 17T-3000

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with applicable system recovery)
3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM Processor (2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)...very fast for a laptop...
Radeon(TM) HD 7850M Graphics 1GB GDDR5 Memory [HDMI, DP]
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)...meh...
FREE 2-year Norton Internet Security subscription (not a huge fan, but it has a 99 dollar value).
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - Up to 5.25 hours of battery life +++
17.3-inch diagonal Radiance Full HD Infinity LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)...awesome looking screen, but it is glossy...
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
720p HD video streaming webcam supports Skype (I never skype, but it was a piece of candy)
Intel 3x3 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth
Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard with numeric keypad (really nice looking keyboard)
Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 10 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 10
MAGIX PhotoStory 10 (easy photo software)
2 year limited warranty included
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
and finally...

Beats by Dr. Dre Studio High-Definition Headphones (Gotta stay hip, and the laptop comes with Beats technology to enhance my listening pleasure))

Is this a nice rig fellas?  Be honest.

I am paying1600 dollars for a laptop (again, YIKES!)...but I want a GOOD one.  It is basically replacing my desktop, which I will move elsewhere in my tiny abode.  Looking to save space.
: August 14, 2012, 12:35:56 AM Boid Fink

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 14, 2012, 12:41:24 AM

And it has HDMI out ports...headphone in and out ports...slot loading dvrw...esata, vga port, ethernet port...USB 3.0 port (not sure I can use it on anything...yet)

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 14, 2012, 12:57:31 AM

looks sweet. did you mention how much RAM? I may have missed it.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 14, 2012, 01:02:37 AM

8 G's.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 14, 2012, 01:06:04 AM

yeah man, youre good. I like HP as they are very user friendly if youre not hip to different systems. Asus and alienware make great ones too, but may be at or beyond the high end of your budget.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 14, 2012, 01:07:28 AM

That looks like a nice set-up.  Do tons of comparing on similar models and read reviewer comments.  Newegg is a good place for both.  It looks like that drive will only read Bluray and not write like you wanted.  You could always buy an external bluray burner later.  Would be great for running a TV and gaming but maybe not at the highest settings on some games. I'm not a gamer but I would imagine they are getting pretty advanced now.  .

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 14, 2012, 01:14:11 AM

Also the 7200rpm hard drive would be a little better but I have never had a laptop with one to tell the difference. 
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looking to buy a new laptop.(BIGGS Edition) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools