Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greg Olson and Blaine Gabbert « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 20, 2012, 06:42:10 PM

I was never all that big on Olson though I don't think he is as awful as many like to suggest.  But at the time he was promoted he was basically our only option.  Thank the Glazer boys for hiring Jazgs to go along with a HC who didn't know what he was doing and a very green GM.

Yea that was bad. On top of having a rookie HC too. Recipe for disaster. Whats funny is that team probably played better at the end of the year than last years team played after week 4.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 20, 2012, 06:54:26 PM

I was never all that big on Olson though I don't think he is as awful as many like to suggest.  But at the time he was promoted he was basically our only option.  Thank the Glazer boys for hiring Jazgs to go along with a HC who didn't know what he was doing and a very green GM.

What more do you need to see?  His average season produced 4830 yards of offense (which is a bottom-10 average in the league), 4.9 yards per play (another bottom-10 average), and the sixth-worst scoring offense.  It's not like the dude never got an opportunity.  He inherited Marc Bulger and Steven Jackson, fresh of Pro Bowl appearances, and coached them both to the worst seasons of their careers.  He has failed at every stop on the professional level, and the Buccaneers were the only team dense enough to promote him instead of firing him.

It's a miracle the dude even found work.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 20, 2012, 06:59:15 PM

Well as a QB coach Im not surprised. He was pretty respected by Gruden and co when he was here. Exactly why he got the promotion to OC when Jags was fired. 2010 Freeman had a good year statistically. I can see why he got a QB coaching job. As a OC I dont see him getting that chance again.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 20, 2012, 07:04:55 PM

Well as a QB coach Im not surprised. He was pretty respected by Gruden and co when he was here. Exactly why he got the promotion to OC when Jags was fired. 2010 Freeman had a good year statistically. I can see why he got a QB coaching job. As a OC I dont see him getting that chance again.

As a quarterbacks coach:
2004, Joey Harrington - 77.5 rating
2006, Marc Bulger - 92.9 rating
2008, Jeff Garcia - 90.2 rating

As a play caller:
2005, Joey Harrington - 72.0 rating
2007, Marc Bulger - 70.3 rating
2009, Josh Freeman - 59.8 rating
2010, Josh Freeman - 95.9 rating
2011, Josh Freeman - 74.6 rating

It's mystifying.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 20, 2012, 07:13:37 PM

Mediocre coaches like him continue to find work in this league because teams are now not letting other teams steal their coaches under the guise of promotions.  So their only pool are the recently fired or the college ranks.

TheQ

Starter

#20 : August 21, 2012, 03:05:04 AM

Olson sucks at play calling and Coordinating....as a QB coach he should do alright.
Just like RahRah is a great secondary coach, but a poor HC and DC.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 21, 2012, 03:48:29 AM

ANYONE who defends Olsen's body of work is defending stupid.

Mean that from the bottom.

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
#22 : August 21, 2012, 07:01:20 AM

+1

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 21, 2012, 07:16:06 AM

+1

+2

Draft Aaron Donald

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#24 : August 21, 2012, 08:22:02 AM

It's pre season, teams don't game plan until the 3rd game. Love laughing at people's over reactions to practice games.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#25 : August 21, 2012, 08:28:25 AM

He's a decent QB coach , it's coordinating he sucks at...
This.

No one ever said he was a bad QB coach, the dude is just an awful OC. Olson is not the one calling the plays for the Jaguars, like he was the for Bucs.

one of the worst O-coordinators in recent memory... good QB coach

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 21, 2012, 01:05:44 PM

What more do you need to see?  His average season produced 4830 yards of offense (which is a bottom-10 average in the league), 4.9 yards per play (another bottom-10 average), and the sixth-worst scoring offense.  It's not like the dude never got an opportunity.  He inherited Marc Bulger and Steven Jackson, fresh of Pro Bowl appearances, and coached them both to the worst seasons of their careers.  He has failed at every stop on the professional level, and the Buccaneers were the only team dense enough to promote him instead of firing him.

. And what was he given to work with when first promoted here?  Lets see, had to wing a playbook on the fly while performing two jobs.  Had Leftwich, JJ (who had 0 starts) and a 20 yr old rookie at QB.  Had a rb coming off two knee injuries and D. ward.  Clayton and Bryant at WR.  A suck ass OL.  And a injured prone non blocking TE.  Then after that he still had nothing additional except rooks and scrubs in the next two years and didn't even have a training camp one of them.  Not to mention the crappy defense that put him in tough situations. Was he a failure?  Yes.  Not denying that but I honestly don't see any offensive genius surviving that train wreck.
: August 21, 2012, 01:27:42 PM Skull and Bones

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 21, 2012, 01:42:17 PM

. And what was he given to work with when first promoted here?  Lets see, had to wing a playbook on the fly while performing two jobs.  Had Leftwich, JJ (who had 0 starts) and a 20 yr old rookie at QB.  Had a rb coming off two knee injuries and D. ward.  Clayton and Bryant at WR.  A suck ass OL.  And a injured prone non blocking TE.  Then after that he still had nothing additional except rooks and scrubs in the next two years and didn't even have a training camp one of them.  Not to mention the crappy defense that put him in tough situations. Was he a failure?  Yes.  Not denying that but I honestly don't see any offensive genius surviving that train wreck.

I agree with you.  You'll notice in one of my previous posts that I cite 2009 as an "understandable" failure.  No one was taking that personnel disaster to the playoffs.  But my argument was never "Greg Olson failed in Tampa." I'm telling you that Greg Olson has failed at every stop.  His offensive philosophies have never worked for more than a single season.  Your post ignores the fact that he inherited one of the NFL's most talented offenses in St. Louis, and wrecked the entire team with his retarded route concepts and play calls.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#28 : August 21, 2012, 01:53:27 PM

Like I previously said, I'm not a fan of Olsen.  If I owned the Bucs he would have never been hired as OC.  At the time I actually started a thread arguing Steve Logan should be OC over him based on resume comparisons.  Altjough he probably would have been equally as bad.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#29 : August 21, 2012, 01:54:03 PM

Olson is another teams problem now.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greg Olson and Blaine Gabbert « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools