Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Today's Schiano Press Conference (Linked Here) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : August 28, 2012, 07:50:33 PM

At this point he is one dimensional and the previous regime did nothing to help him grow. So I don't pretend for a second that he needs to improve many aspects of his game. Even the most adamant Blount supporters admit this. It's pretty clear to non biased folks that he is an absolute beast with ridiculous talent and potential, but he is unrefined and needs to work hard to become a more well rounded back.

i agree on most of this, but its tiresome to blame the previous regime.  im willing to bet logan and olson would have bent over backwards if blount wanted to put in the time.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#31 : August 28, 2012, 07:55:25 PM

Blount is great in the open field, a nightmare for backs to take down. But he doesn't have breakaway speed, he doesn't run very well in short yardage and his vision behind the line is questionable. I think the comparisons to Brandon Jacobs are pretty accurate. Martin is the better back though and should be more of a focal point for the offense.

Buc7

Rookie

#32 : August 28, 2012, 08:35:03 PM

I believe Blount will be fine. Sometimes it takes a demotion too humble you. Good running back. Just young. I for one am happy he is a Buc.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#33 : August 28, 2012, 09:36:45 PM

At this point he is one dimensional and the previous regime did nothing to help him grow. So I don't pretend for a second that he needs to improve many aspects of his game. Even the most adamant Blount supporters admit this. It's pretty clear to non biased folks that he is an absolute beast with ridiculous talent and potential, but he is unrefined and needs to work hard to become a more well rounded back.

i agree on most of this, but its tiresome to blame the previous regime.  im willing to bet logan and olson would have bent over backwards if blount wanted to put in the time.
And if you want to blame it on the previous regime, why has he show no improvement thus far.  He caught one ball on a screen when we split him out wide, but it's not like he couldn't catch the ball before.  He didn't play on 3rd downs because he wasn't a very good blocker as far as skill and wasn't picking up the mental part either.

For those of you that don't see that Martin is a better pure runner I'm not sure what to tell you.  If you understand what you're watching It should be obvious after watching Blount last season and this preseason and comparing that to what Martin has done in just the preseason,

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 28, 2012, 09:54:12 PM

Blount actually DID improve as a runner as the season progressed last year. I commented many times how he was more consistantly getting his pad level down, fighting thru congestion at the LOS using his strength, rather than dancing while looking for that huge hole to open up. He still is noticeably slower to REACT to very rapidly changing conditions along the LOS than Martin. Or even Madu, who has shown significant improvement this pre-season, IMO.

LOL at Schiano's opening comment: "OK, guys, a lot goin' on. So we hit it an' git it". Basically telling the media he's got more important things to do...

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 28, 2012, 10:26:54 PM

Wow.

"LeGarrette's a smart guy.  He can sit down, watch the tape, and see that he got outperformed [by Martin.]"

Cut and dry.
I wonder what BOID has to say about this...he should probably BASH schiano for not seeing how GREAT BLOUNT has been.  Blount is easily top 5 RB in the NFL today yet isn't the top RB on this team...does that make Martin the number ONE back in football now????

Can you please provide a link where someone came outright and said that Blount was a "top 5 RB"?

You might want stop drinking the water out of the brickyard canal.....I've pee'd in it at least twice that I can remember.

I think hes starter material but Martin is much more versatile making him the better player. Blount cant catch and block quite like Martin can. Blount is a great weapon to have though. Not many RBs Id rather run with a lead than him.
So he can FUMBLE the game away???

I never said that. Yes the fumbles were bad last year. Schiano has talked about it though and it looks like something they are all working on and making sure it doesnt happen this year much. I know that if we do see them again that Schiano wont like it much and will likely reduce carries as a result. No different for Martin, WRs or even Freeman. Hes said multiple times that guys who fumble wont play.

+1, BB85.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 28, 2012, 11:00:22 PM

Wow.

"LeGarrette's a smart guy.  He can sit down, watch the tape, and see that he got outperformed [by Martin.]"

Cut and dry.

Ouch.
Cut throat.

I'm not going to say anything but this, I told MANY people on this board Blount is back-up material. Hurdling **CENSORED**'s and being hard to tackle doesn't make you special. Been saying that all this off-season.

You also said Martin wasn't special and only worth a 6th round pick....
Yeah, but I took that back after his good senior year and combine.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 28, 2012, 11:05:03 PM

Well if you're gonna go the "I told you so" route....you can't be taking things back Nostradamus.

Also, hurdling **CENSORED**s and being hard to tackle DOES make you special. Especially when you're 6ft 250lbs.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 28, 2012, 11:24:03 PM

Well if you're gonna go the "I told you so" route....you can't be taking things back Nostradamus.

Also, hurdling **CENSORED**s and being hard to tackle DOES make you special. Especially when you're 6ft 250lbs.
1. Draft stock is nearly impossible to determine for any prospect coming out.(regards to me calling Martin a 6th round talent)
2. Its not hard to realize Martin is a better all around back than Blount.(stated this before TC)
3. Its not hard to realize Blount is limited as a runner(been trying to tell you that)
4. No, it means he is an athletic RB for his size.
: August 28, 2012, 11:27:03 PM Detrimental

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 28, 2012, 11:25:53 PM

So being big as an ox and freakishly athletic....doesn't make a running back special?

I'm willing to bet the every member of every defense that has played against him would disagree.....especially the Packers.
: August 28, 2012, 11:27:42 PM JDouble

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#40 : August 28, 2012, 11:29:19 PM

So being big as an ox and freakishly athletic....doesn't make a running back special?
No it doesn't.  It just makes you an ox and freakishly athletic.  There are plenty of guys in the league that fit that description, but they are not special running backs.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 28, 2012, 11:32:40 PM

I'm willing to bet the every member of every defense that has played against him would disagree.....especially the Packers.
Nope. You can be the "biggest athletic freak" in the world and still not be special.

Cool, wager against them and let me find out what they say.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#42 : August 28, 2012, 11:35:26 PM

If you don't see that Martin is the better pure runner, then you don't understand what you're watching.  It's as simple as that, really.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 28, 2012, 11:35:27 PM

No it doesn't.  It just makes you an ox and freakishly athletic.  There are plenty of guys in the league that fit that description, but they are not special running backs.
THANK YOU!

For instance, Jackie Battle.

You know the 6'2 240 pound 4.42 speed 41" vertical RB that use to play for the Chiefs, notably? Guy is a freak but has had a hard time finding continuity with a franchise.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#44 : August 28, 2012, 11:36:49 PM

Wow.

Cut and dry.

No nonsense!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Today's Schiano Press Conference (Linked Here) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools