Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NHL officially locked-out.....again « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: September 16, 2012, 05:31:10 AM

NEW YORK The clock struck midnight, and the NHL turned into another sports league closed for business.

Unable to reach agreement on a new labor deal, the National Hockey League locked out its players at 12:01 a.m. Sunday, the third major pro sport to impose a work stoppage in the last 18 months, behind the NFL and NBA.

The action also marks the fourth shutdown for the NHL since 1992, including a year-long dispute that forced the cancellation of the entire 2004-05 season when the league successfully held out for a salary cap.

That fight ended with the latest collective bargaining agreement, and when it ended Commissioner Gary Bettman followed through on his longstanding pledge to lock out the players if no deal was in place.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the shutdown was in effect. The union said it would have no comment.

The sides were so far apart in their discussions that they didn't even meet face-to-face for negotiations on Saturday.

The core issue is money how to split a $3.3 billion pot of revenue. The owners want to decrease the percentage of hockey-related revenue that goes to players, while the union wants a guarantee that players annually get at least the $1.8 billion in salaries paid out last season.

Hours before the deadline, the lockout was considered a foregone conclusion.

"We talked with the union this morning, and in light of the fact that they have nothing new to offer, or any substantive response to our last proposal, there would be nothing gained by convening a bargaining session at this time," Daly said in a statement earlier Saturday. "I'm sure that we will remain in contact in the coming days."

The dispute is latest chapter in labor unrest that has vexed American professional sports. The NFL was locked out for much of the offseason in 2011 while the last NBA season was shortened from 82 games to 66 and began on Christmas.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20120915/SPORTS/120919897/1004/sports

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : September 16, 2012, 07:46:54 AM

Tried to watch the sport. Went to a ton of Bolts games in 2009-10, went to practices at the forum and Brandon. Watched the games on SunSports. I tried again in 2010-11 as well. Can't seem to get interested. So I don't care if they have a season or not.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 16, 2012, 10:49:44 AM

Man this totally sucks! I am a big Lightning and hockey fan. Damn greedy owners and players. This hurts the fans more than anybody.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 16, 2012, 10:12:55 PM

Two lockouts in less than ten years.  What a bunch of fools.  It took steroids and home runs for baseball to be noticed again after not having a world series in 1994.  I'm not sure what kind of gimmick the NHL could put forth. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 16, 2012, 11:17:11 PM

Bettman needs to get the ax at commissioner. 3 lockouts in the 15 or so years is not good. Should have gotten it right the first time. I expect them to get it together and get a deal but not for some time. I do think we will have a season but how much will be lost is the question.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 17, 2012, 06:54:21 AM

Plain and simple the players and owners are both greedy. But I am not on the players side on this one. Owners had a deal for 50/50 and players wanted more. That is greed at it's finest.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 17, 2012, 02:33:02 PM

Its rumored that they are separated by just a few percentage points and the owners are refusing to meet the players in the middle(54% for players vs 49% for players).

Another lockout over a 5% difference.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler

#7 : September 17, 2012, 04:47:56 PM

Hopefully hockey will just go away. The sport sucks, and I hate when their highlights interrupt sportscenter.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 20, 2012, 11:31:11 AM

Hopefully hockey will just go away. The sport sucks, and I hate when their highlights interrupt sportscenter.

I dont see how anybody who likes football wouldnt like Hockey. Big hits, fast paced and fights. How could anybody hate that? Such a great game.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 06, 2013, 07:15:03 AM

NHL, NHLPA agree to framework of new CBA

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association reached agreement on the framework of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement early Sunday morning.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 06, 2013, 11:34:09 AM

Yea! Just in time too.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 06, 2013, 12:44:10 PM

in time for what? Baseball's Spring Training?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 06, 2013, 01:23:12 PM

Footballs over. Hockey time!

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 06, 2013, 02:33:31 PM

good for hockey fans - but don't they practically let every team except the worst 4-6 teams in the playoffs?

why have a season anyway?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 06, 2013, 09:01:55 PM

Because Hockey's the **CENSORED**!
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NHL officially locked-out.....again « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools