Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Overweight news anchor responds to man who called her fat « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : October 07, 2012, 10:30:08 AM

Not true. I know of very few fat people who have regular cardio activity.

And when they do start running(or whatever activity) they start losing weight FAST..

do they also start eating better? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

gone

Hall of Famer
#31 : October 07, 2012, 04:15:50 PM

Absolutely agree. When a person is trying to lose wieght...diet is only a small part of the process....exercise is the most important part of the equation.

disagree completely.  diet is most important imo.  people overrate exercise.

And when they do start running(or whatever activity) they start losing weight FAST..

You are not observing what you think you are observing.  Exercise is not a big part of losing weight.  In fact, science is now showing that exercise actually makes it harder to lose weight.  Our bodies adapt to the demands we put on them and the resources we provide them.  When we are demanding more of our bodies and providing less, our resting metabolism slows down to hoard what we have in our system.  There are plenty of good reasons to exercise, but weight loss isn't really one of them.  You have to have a heavy exercise regimen to counterweigh the change in metabolism.  And that would make it harder to maintain the discipline required to limit intake as your body is craving, so it starts an upward cycle. 

That doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise, and it is certainly part of becoming healthier.  But its for other reasons.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 07, 2012, 04:19:23 PM

It wasnt "eloquently stated".

This guy...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : October 07, 2012, 04:32:25 PM

likely due to altitude

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 07, 2012, 04:33:52 PM

LOL. Precisely

This guy...

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 07, 2012, 04:48:53 PM

Absolutely agree. When a person is trying to lose weight...diet is only a small part of the process....exercise is the most important part of the equation.

You are not observing what you think you are observing.  Exercise is not a big part of losing weight. In fact, science is now showing that exercise actually makes it harder to lose weight.  Our bodies adapt to the demands we put on them and the resources we provide them.  When we are demanding more of our bodies and providing less, our resting metabolism slows down to hoard what we have in our system.  There are plenty of good reasons to exercise, but weight loss isn't really one of them.  You have to have a heavy exercise regimen to counterweigh the change in metabolism.  And that would make it harder to maintain the discipline required to limit intake as your body is craving, so it starts an upward cycle. 

That doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise, and it is certainly part of becoming healthier.  But its for other reasons.

Never thought I new people who have defied science...now I guess I do.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 07, 2012, 05:23:44 PM

Absolutely agree. When a person is trying to lose wieght...diet is only a small part of the process....exercise is the most important part of the equation.

You are not observing what you think you are observing.  Exercise is not a big part of losing weight.  In fact, science is now showing that exercise actually makes it harder to lose weight.  Our bodies adapt to the demands we put on them and the resources we provide them.  When we are demanding more of our bodies and providing less, our resting metabolism slows down to hoard what we have in our system.  There are plenty of good reasons to exercise, but weight loss isn't really one of them.  You have to have a heavy exercise regimen to counterweigh the change in metabolism.  And that would make it harder to maintain the discipline required to limit intake as your body is craving, so it starts an upward cycle. 

This study says a sedentary lifestyle is even more dangerous than smoking...

"The fact of being sedentary causes factors to happen in the body that are very detrimental."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001824/Sitting-dangerous-smoking-study-shows.html

And it depends on the situation. Someone that is clinically obese needs to diet probably more than exercise, especially in the beginning. People who are just 10-20-30 pounds overweight could probably start exercising and end up losing that extra weight as long as they keep up the program. If you are obese, you probably have other issues too like high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and very high cholesterol, which needs get under control. And usually dieting is the fastest way to deal with that.

Where people struggle with exercise is when they plateau. Initially when you start exercising when having been previously sedentary, you will lose pounds pretty quick. But then after a few months the body adapts and you stop making progress. This is when most people end up quitting the exercise and then the pounds slowly come back on. That's why its important to switch up the routine and not allow the body to adapt.

There is also a difference between men and women. Men can usually lose weight with just exercise. Women usually need to diet along with exercise. It's just a metabolic difference between the genders. Men will more easily build muscle, and the body will burn fat to do it. This why men will burn fat sometimes by weight training alone. Women though must have cardio.

Exercise is also needed for a healthy heart. Even people who are fit but sedentary are not as healthy as someone who is fit and exercises regularly. Exercise strengthens the heart muscle and makes the arteries more flexible, lowering blood pressure and warding off atherosclerosis.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 07, 2012, 07:28:57 PM

Absolutely agree. When a person is trying to lose weight...diet is only a small part of the process....exercise is the most important part of the equation.

You are not observing what you think you are observing.  Exercise is not a big part of losing weight. In fact, science is now showing that exercise actually makes it harder to lose weight.  Our bodies adapt to the demands we put on them and the resources we provide them.  When we are demanding more of our bodies and providing less, our resting metabolism slows down to hoard what we have in our system.  There are plenty of good reasons to exercise, but weight loss isn't really one of them.  You have to have a heavy exercise regimen to counterweigh the change in metabolism.  And that would make it harder to maintain the discipline required to limit intake as your body is craving, so it starts an upward cycle. 

Yeah.. Caradoc is just trying to be ironic

This guy...

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#38 : October 08, 2012, 04:36:37 PM

It was a private email that she made public..it wasn't a facebook or twitter posting sent out to bully or berate her in front of people. To get so offended over a personal opinion sent via email....and then use air time to address it....

...wah, wah, wah.

...and the fact that they parade that as "bullying"...lol. Not even close.
While I don't agree with the email that he sent, I completely agree with this post.  It wasn't meant to be bullying.  The fat **CENSORED** is the one that took it public and made a spectical out of it.

gone

Hall of Famer
#39 : October 09, 2012, 01:21:17 AM

Yeah.. Caradoc is just trying to be ironic

No, not ironic.  Just following modern science.  Exercise is certainly good for you, but the positive effects of it are not the weight loss people associate with it, primarily because exercising more makes you hungrier, so people tend to eat more and secondarily because if you are demanding a level of activity from your body and not providing the resources needed to meet it your body will adjust your resting metabolism down to attempt to compensate.  There are many other benefits to exercise, but weight loss is not  a primary one of them.  The weight loss comes from the diet.  We have a sort of collective "received wisdom" about weight loss from over half a century ago, and a great deal of it is simply wrong and never backed by study. 

: October 09, 2012, 01:23:44 AM caradoc

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#40 : October 09, 2012, 04:04:11 PM

That's one BIGGGGGGGGGG bit$%!!!!!!!!

Bohemoth!!!!

I want this lady's email address. Talk about thin skinned.........her whiny ass response is comical.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 09, 2012, 04:29:50 PM

Ya. This is part of why our society is Charmin soft..

At a certain point we should stop trying to end bullying, and just teach people to toughen up

This guy...

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#42 : October 10, 2012, 09:30:35 AM

Ya. This is part of why our society is Charmin soft..

At a certain point we should stop trying to end bullying, and just teach people to toughen up

Bubba The Love Sponge was all over this this morning.

Ned made a pretty damn funny song making fun of the anchor.

Didn't know it was this popular.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#43 : October 16, 2012, 03:17:25 PM

" You hear stories of 200 individuals making use of for a person career at a nearby nursery for any nursery inventory tender. "

I do hear those stories. I hear them all the time.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#44 : October 16, 2012, 03:24:12 PM

I am laughing my ass off right now. That is freakin' hilarious...... Can't stop laughing. :D
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Overweight news anchor responds to man who called her fat « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools