Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve Yzerman « previous next »
Page: 1

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
: October 07, 2012, 01:06:22 PM

I just thought Id start a thread to Show Mr. Y some love. I know hes doing some great things as the GM down there in Tampa for your Bolts. Ive always hated the Wings (Im a Habs fan, and have been since before we got the Sens) but as a kid playing hockey growing up in Ottawa you cant help but know Stevie Ys name and have love for him. We renamed the Nepean Sportsplex (we both grew up in Nepean, now amalgamated into the city of Ottawa) the Steve Yzerman arena about 15 years ago (while he was still playing for the Wings, I think it was '97 when they did it, right after one of their cup runs), and I grew up playing hockey there on the multiple rinks they have. I remember hed come back home in the offseason and play road hockey with us like it was nothing, he just loved the game and being able to do what he does. Im glad hes doing good in his current role and just thought Id mention him on here since hes now in the Tampa area coz I just read a Q+A with him on nhl.com about his current role and it brought back a bunch of memories. I hope you guys realize what you have down there because hes always been a class act (on and off the ice) through and through 100%. While hell probly never read this, if he does, thanks a million Steve, its been a ride. What do you guys remember about him, or your thoughts of?

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 08, 2012, 02:27:47 PM

Very cool! Thats awesome he would come play with you guys.  Trust me Germcanbuc, the real Lightning fans know were very lucky to have Yzerman as our GM. Hes done so much with this team since he got here. Last season was a low point for him but its only going to go up. Completely ignoring what he did for this team 2 seasons ago, what hes done with our prospects is nothing short of amazing. We had one of the worst crop of prospects and now is a strength of the team. That was done in less than 2 offseasons. They won the Calder Cup last year with a bunch of prospects he basically found and signed him self. A lot of them were undrafted and actually have a shot to earn spots on this team in the near future.

One interesting thing hes doing which is very old school is hes drafting Russian players with high skill that arent sure about playing in North America. Usually thats very taboo in the NHL because a lot of those guys dont want to come over here and play. Its like wasting a draft choice. Thing is Yzerman has ties over there and has been able to convince some players to come and play over here. We expect that trend to continue because a lot of those players know each other and if their friends come over they have a high chance of coming over to play too. Some are already coming to play here. So hes got that competitive advantage for the future.

This offseason he was able to fill some needs on defense and at Goaltender which were easily our teams flaws last season. They should be much stronger this year in those areas and with our offense being deadly we should be able to make a run again this season. (if there is one) But so far Yzerman has been a special person to add to this team. With him, Vinik, and Todd Lieweke in charge of this team, dont be surprised if Hockey becomes huge in this town. They are going to be winners for a long time if they keep it up.
: October 08, 2012, 02:29:58 PM BucBalla85

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 08, 2012, 04:31:41 PM

I suspect even the fake Lightning fans know they are lucky to have Yzerman as GM.  Don't care for the Red Wings either... they and Montreal are like the Yankees of baseball - they always have the money to get the players... Vinik has been a huge HUGE upgrade as an owner.... just tossing that in...

It is interesting to watch Yzerman - he does seem to reach out to get the type of player he wants and the team needs.  I was surprised at the HC selection... expected to see someone like the Wings would picks.  And Boucher doesn't seem to be like that - watching he and Yzerman work is a pleasure.  At this point if the goalie position is solid I think they have a roster to compete with anyone.  We will see.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 08, 2012, 04:45:32 PM

It is interesting to watch Yzerman - he does seem to reach out to get the type of player he wants and the team needs.  I was surprised at the HC selection... expected to see someone like the Wings would picks.  And Boucher doesn't seem to be like that - watching he and Yzerman work is a pleasure.  At this point if the goalie position is solid I think they have a roster to compete with anyone.  We will see.

Agree about the Goalie position. They got Lindback this summer and he is supposed to be a very good goaltender ready for a starting role. Only drawback is hes never been a starter. So he kind of took a risk there. He didnt want to have to trade too much away to get a veteran like Luongo but wanted somebody who was young and ready to take over. They said if Rinne wasnt in Nashville Lindback would have been the starter no doubt so thats a good thing. They also say he has just as much potential as Rinne which would be outstanding for the Lightning if true. Then again Smith was supposed to be a great goalie and has been but wasnt for his time in Tampa. You just hope its not a system thing. However Lindback is a big guy (good for poor defenses) and he moves fast for his size. He should be an upgrade over what we had last year is what Im saying. I look forward to seeing how he does if we ever get hockey going again.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 08, 2012, 04:51:29 PM

I loved Yzerman as a player and even though I do not follow closely looks like he is still doing great

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 08, 2012, 05:40:24 PM

Agree about the Goalie position. They got Lindback this summer and he is supposed to be a very good goaltender ready for a starting role. Only drawback is hes never been a starter. So he kind of took a risk there. He didnt want to have to trade too much away to get a veteran like Luongo but wanted somebody who was young and ready to take over. They said if Rinne wasnt in Nashville Lindback would have been the starter no doubt so thats a good thing. They also say he has just as much potential as Rinne which would be outstanding for the Lightning if true. Then again Smith was supposed to be a great goalie and has been but wasnt for his time in Tampa. You just hope its not a system thing. However Lindback is a big guy (good for poor defenses) and he moves fast for his size. He should be an upgrade over what we had last year is what Im saying. I look forward to seeing how he does if we ever get hockey going again.

We will see if this guy is the ONE.  If not Yzerman has the system full of goalies - one of them will work out shortly - like within the next few years.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#6 : October 08, 2012, 09:58:56 PM

they and Montreal are like the Yankees of baseball - they always have the money to get the players... Vinik has been a huge HUGE upgrade as an owner

I would liken the Rangers more to the Yankees (not just because of the city) than Montreal, but that could be a bit of homerism on my part being a huge Habs fan....As for the ownership thing, thats what I keep getting too is that hes really been able to come in and rejuvenate that franchise due to the fact the he really does care. Signing Steve as the GM showed that if you ask me. Vinik really seems intent on building a championship team that the community can get behind, or at least thats how Ive perceived it in his time with the franchise.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 08, 2012, 10:38:42 PM

We will see if this guy is the ONE.  If not Yzerman has the system full of goalies - one of them will work out shortly - like within the next few years.

Andrei Vasilevski, who they drafted in rd 1 is also supposed to be very good. Good enough to take Lindbacks job even if Lindback is playing well good. They expect Lindback to be the guy but if for some reason he isn't they have Vasilevski ready to come play in about 2-3 years.

Stratobuc

Starter
#8 : October 09, 2012, 12:29:29 AM

I thought it would take a few seasons for them to assemble the players to play the system they want. As a Lightning fan, I feel very fortunate we were able to acquire Mr. Yzerman, who is certainly one of the best ever ambassadors of the great game.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve Yzerman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools