Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: America circa Columbus: help « previous next »
Page: 1

gone

Hall of Famer
: October 08, 2012, 10:06:15 PM

Need help finding something.  I was reading a while ago that claimed there may have been tens of millions of people (or more than 100 million) living in North America in large cities (in the eastern Mississippi valley area if I am remembering the term correctly) before the first of the Columbus era explorers, but the diseases they carried basically wiped these cultures out an left only the nomadic tribes that we tend to think of as the actual native population that were encountered when colonization began in earnest.  This wasn't an atlantean/alien conspiracy, just some kind of unusual archaeological argument, one that ups the body count by several orders of magnitude. 

Do any of you guys here who delight in this stuff have any resources on this that you can point me at?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 08, 2012, 10:09:55 PM

I think what you are thinking of are the Mississipian Cultures (aka the mound builders): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_culture

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

gone

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 09, 2012, 12:59:30 AM

Yeah, what I think is I'm remembering someone taking a bit of artistic license with those cultures, because the numbers were massively larger than that - they supposedly outnumbered Europe at the time.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 09, 2012, 10:38:55 AM

Olmecs of the americas comes to mind but that was waay before columbus or aztecs settled in america. About 75,000 yrs ago.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 09, 2012, 11:15:34 AM

Columbus didn't come to America.....

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 09, 2012, 11:19:00 AM

Great post deadzone.

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 09, 2012, 06:26:24 PM

... Eddie Murphy did.

NovaBuc

Starter

#7 : October 09, 2012, 07:32:01 PM

There is a lot of somewhat anecdotal evidence that the native american population was larger than commonly thought and that shortly before/after Europeans arrived, a good portion of the population was wiped out by disease. You might look for a book called 1491: New Revelations of the Americas before Columbus by Charles Mann. It isn't exactly a scholarly work (though at times the author certainly seems to think it is), but does raise some interesting points. Excerpts from Giovanni di Verrazzano's diaries/letters from his several expeditionary trips to South/North America are particularly supportive of the idea that the Americas was more heavily populated than we tend to think today. Also, the information about Cahokia prompted me to find more information about the city and the mounds that were built around it.

In the end, I don't think I agree with most of Mann's conclusions though he presents them well.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 10, 2012, 08:21:49 AM

The idea that the Mound Builders population was potentially massive was popular a few decades ago and built off the idea that the cities were larger and more numerous than we thought. IIRC the fight got into how much these sites were cities vs ceremonial centers in terms of what they meant for population.

There is, or was last I was looking at it, a lot of new research on cities in the Amazon as well implying a much, much larger population there than anyone thought as well.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: America circa Columbus: help « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools