Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2012-2013 NBA thread « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#150 : June 21, 2013, 11:33:17 AM

it was very odd game to me.  duncan and parker did about squat, ginoboli had some of the worst TO's ive ever seen in the last couple minutes, and green couldnt buy a basket...yet the spurs were in it till the end.

all while wade and james had great games and battier exploded.  and what was the dagger?  a long jumpshot by james.

i hope some underdogs can pull it off next year.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#151 : June 21, 2013, 11:33:59 AM

Lebron leads the Heat to another Championship.

Much to the dismay of many.

Excellent performance from Wade and James, making Rodman and anybody else that agreed with his "average" assessment look foolish.
Anyone who thinks he would be average in a different area is off base. He is one of the most athletic players to every play and has developed a good enough jump shot. As much as I disliked Lebron leaving Cleveland, he has earned these championships.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#152 : June 21, 2013, 03:05:03 PM

Happy for those whose city won the NBA championship.
For me, the NBA has regressed very badly over the years. Yeah, the athletes today may be 'better', but the acceptance of team play by the PLAYERS has diminished tremendously over the years, which makes games almost unwatchable for me.
Even at that, Wilt Chamberlain would have dominated today's NBA; in the 1973 series in the link below, he played all 48 minutes of ALL 5 games. And that wasn't unusual for him...
The numbers Chamberlain and Russell put up will likely never even be approached, let alone surpassed.

LOL; I understand Bill Russell's game 7 yawn completely, and I have never never been a Celtics fan!  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/bill-russell-yawn-gif/

My all-time favorite TEAM; the '73 Knicks, who had 6 future HOF players, including all 5 starters. Oh, and Phil Jackson was coming off the bench...
They destroyed a very good Lakers team in 5 games in the '73 Finals, who also had several future HOF players in the lineup. And, Pat Riley was a bench guy.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1973_finals.html

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#153 : June 21, 2013, 06:21:17 PM

Lebron leads the Heat to another Championship.

Much to the dismay of many.

Excellent performance from Wade and James, making Rodman and anybody else that agreed with his "average" assessment look foolish.
Anyone who thinks he would be average in a different area is off base. He is one of the most athletic players to every play and has developed a good enough jump shot. As much as I disliked Lebron leaving Cleveland, he has earned these championships.

It's not very difficult to look athletic when defense has practically been eliminated from the game. People keep forgetting that. Didn't watch the game, but I did check the box scores of the previous games and noticed Lebron was doing what he always does in the finals, brick after brick. Eventually any NBA player is going to have a good game, Lebron is lucky Allen bailed him out in game 6 to give him one more chance to turn around what had been a horrific finals for him yet again.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#154 : June 21, 2013, 09:16:17 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-named-nba-finals-mvp-second-straight-045907303.html

James was sensational in Game 7, leading all scorers with 37 points on 12 for 23 shooting, grabbing a team-high 12 rebounds, dishing four assists and snagging two steals in 45 brilliant minutes. He averaged 25.3 points, 10.9 rebounds and seven assists per game in the series, shooting 44.7 percent from the floor, 35.3 percent from 3-point range and 79.5 percent from the foul line.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#155 : June 21, 2013, 09:19:06 PM

As I stated earlier, I am not the biggest LeBron fan.  But I will give him props for turning himself into a great player.  Early in his career, he couldn't hit a long range jumper to save his life.  But he worked hard, and now is damn good outside player.

Now if he could just work on the PR skills a bit, he has got better, but still have a ways to go. Whenever I hear those comments he made a couple years ago, about not giving a rats azz about Joe average fan, I do a facepalm.  Remember those comments?  Joe average fan can go back to their miserable lives, and go back to their personal problems they had yesterday, and will have tomorrow.  At the time,  I don't think he realized who buys his sneakers and jerseys.

On a side note, LeBron and Danny Green, and some other Heat players partied well into the night.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#156 : June 21, 2013, 09:38:34 PM

There really isn't much reason to diss Lebron's game at this point.  I don't care for the guy really and can see hating on the person, but the game is pretty damn solid at this point.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#157 : June 21, 2013, 11:25:41 PM

No question he's greatly improved his skill level. By today's standards, James had a very good game. But nothing special historically, tho'.

The best game I can remember was Knicks beating the Lakers in game 7, 1970. Knick C Willis Reed had been injured late in game 5 which they won to go up 3-2. With Reed out in game 6 and the great Wilt Chamberlain to deal with, the Knicks were blown out. Before game 7, no one (not even Reed) knew if he'd play. He managed to start and played a few minutes before having to leave, which was a story of great courage and determination in itself. The lesser known story is the game Walt Frazier had to lead the Knicks to victory. In the era before the 3 point shot, he scored 36 points, had 19 assists, and 7/5 rebounds/steals. All this from Frazier, normally just a defensive ace, while playing man-to-man on future HOFer Jerry West...

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#158 : June 22, 2013, 09:47:50 AM

No doubt James is very talented.  The difference between James and Jordan is that James may win a lot of championships but, if so, he will need to do so with some established players around him (Bosch, Wade etc).  Jordan turned players into established players, guys like BJ Armstrong, John Paxton etc., role players lifted by Jordan's play and personality.  That's not a knock on James because he is very good, he just has a different personality and approach.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#159 : June 22, 2013, 09:54:12 AM

Yeah, it's a shame Jordan wasn't able to play with a guy that was named one the 50 best players all-time in the NBA and a Hall of Famer.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#160 : June 22, 2013, 10:25:20 AM

Yeah, it's a shame Jordan wasn't able to play with a guy that was named one the 50 best players all-time in the NBA and a Hall of Famer.

Pippen and Ho Grant were both guys who developed with Jordan, coming off the bench, as I recall, during their first year.  That is different than have a "dream team" assembled that includes the like of Dwayne Wade, who was the centerpiece of the Heat and big time NBA player before jioning with James,  and Bosch, who I think was the centerpiece of his team before joining the Heat.  My point was that the Heat was assembled with experienced, high end players.  Jordan developed the team over years having guys like Cartwright, Armstrong, Paxton .  . . all likely play beyond their abilities. 

Btw, with Pippen at the helm sans Jordan . .  what happened to the championships?
: June 22, 2013, 10:27:23 AM VinBucFan

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#161 : June 22, 2013, 10:39:26 AM

Pippen and Ho Grant were both guys who developed with Jordan, coming off the bench, as I recall, during their first year.  That is different than have a "dream team" assembled that includes the like of Dwayne Wade, who was the centerpiece of the Heat and big time NBA player before jioning with James,  and Bosch, who I think was the centerpiece of his team before joining the Heat.  My point was that the Heat was assembled with experienced, high end players.  Jordan developed the team over years having guys like Cartwright, Armstrong, Paxton .  . . all likely play beyond their abilities. 

Btw, with Pippen at the helm sans Jordan . .  what happened to the championships?

And where does Dennis Rodman, another Hall of Famer, being brought in by the Chicago Bulls fit into this little narrative of yours?

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#162 : June 22, 2013, 10:55:40 AM

And where does Dennis Rodman, another Hall of Famer, being brought in by the Chicago Bulls fit into this little narrative of yours?

He illustrates my point, if you took the time to read it:

No doubt James is very talented.  The difference between James and Jordan is that James may win a lot of championships but, if so, he will need to do so with some established players around him (Bosch, Wade etc).  Jordan turned players into established players, guys like BJ Armstrong, John Paxton etc., role players lifted by Jordan's play and personalityThat's not a knock on James because he is very good, he just has a different personality and approach.

Jordan was great, no doubt.  LeBron James certainly appears to be great.  They are just different.

LeBron is an all-around team concept player, on a team that was specifically built around him and two other marquee players, where Jordan stayed with his team and the team developed around him AS THE OBVIOUS LEADER, in all respects.  This is not a shot at LeBron it just highlights the difference in their PERSONALITIES more than in their pure playing ability.  Jordan was a DOMINANT personality and so a guy like Rodman could come to that team because "Jordan Rules" (sts) were going to keep him in line (same reason Barkely could not hang).  Are there even "James Rules"? Does he have that same personality that Jordan had? Maybe the Heat will sign Metta World Peace?  James seems to be a "nice guy" where Jordan was an intimidating personality, at least in the sense that he was a fierce competitor, apparently on the practice court as well as the game court.  Maybe James is that?

Not even sure my comments are controversial to anyone who has seen both players, other than someone being defensive about James, because I am certainly not criticizing him. If anything, he made me a believer in Game 7
: June 22, 2013, 11:12:48 AM VinBucFan

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#163 : June 22, 2013, 11:06:27 AM

He illustrates my point,

Of course it does.

That is different than have a "dream team" assembled

lolz

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#164 : June 22, 2013, 11:10:27 AM

He illustrates my point,

Of course it does.

a fitting end:

"In the planning leading up to Jordan's decision, it was tentatively decided, according to sources, that Rodman would return only if Jordan requested him.

According to players, Rodman became more difficult to deal with at the end of last season and even coach Phil Jackson was becoming frustrated and baffled. Only Jordan's intensity and leadership kept Rodman in line during the playoffs."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1999-01-12/sports/9901120429_1_bulls-coach-patrick-ewing-retirement-of-michael-jordan
: June 22, 2013, 11:16:56 AM VinBucFan

Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2012-2013 NBA thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools