Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Hindsight....Should the Bucs have stayed at #5 and drafted Morris Claiborne ? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 33

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#345 : December 31, 2012, 11:49:29 AM

Again, not taking sides....but I really don't know many safeties that have awesome rookie years. It seems like that is kinda rare.

You sure ? Because it sounds like you are taking my side ,  lol.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#346 : December 31, 2012, 11:51:19 AM

Again, not taking sides....but I really don't know many safeties that have awesome rookie years. It seems like that is kinda rare.

He's the buc rookie safety. Around here he better be awesome.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#347 : December 31, 2012, 11:55:11 AM

Grimm set the bar kinda high.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#348 : December 31, 2012, 11:59:56 AM

Some people thought Harrison Smith was really good this season and in recent years Jairus Byrd, Earl Thomas, and Eric Berry have all been good.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#349 : December 31, 2012, 12:01:33 PM

So then Barron better be as good as them in his rookie year or it was a total failure.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#350 : December 31, 2012, 12:03:34 PM

This is another reason why you shouldn't use a Top 10 pick on Safety, but the last couple Safetys picked high were Eric Berry and Earl Thomas.  They both played better than Barron their rookie years.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#351 : December 31, 2012, 12:20:43 PM

So then Barron better be as good as them in his rookie year or it was a total failure.
We'll see what happens in the coming years, but at the time myself and others felt if you're going to spend a top 10 pick on a safety, he needs to end up being a top 3-5 safety and that you have less margin for error than at the premium positions. Maybe he'll have a big jump in year two or three, but right now he's behind where you'd want him to be.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#352 : December 31, 2012, 12:40:24 PM

This is another reason why you shouldn't use a Top 10 pick on Safety, but the last couple Safetys picked high were Eric Berry and Earl Thomas.  They both played better than Barron their rookie years.
Stat-wise they were only slightly better as rookies , and they did not have the worst starting corners in the history of the league on either side of them to try and over-compensate for like Barron did...and as I pointed out , it can be argued that Barron's rookie season was better than that of Palomalo and Reed. 

Point is , no one really knows yet .  I've seen the flashes, though, and I still think this kid is going to be a great player for us .

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#353 : December 31, 2012, 12:45:11 PM

Stat-wise they were only slightly better as rookies , and they did not have the worst starting corners in the history of the league on either side of them to try and over-compensate for like Barron did...and as I pointed out , it can be argued that Barron's rookie season was better than that of Palomalo and Reed. 

Point is , no one really knows yet .  I've seen the flashes, though, and I still think this kid is going to be a great player for us .
Conventional stats mean nothing for safeties. Ed Reed has only had as many tackles as Sabby Piscitelli had in 2009 once in his career.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#354 : December 31, 2012, 12:50:35 PM

Conventional stats mean nothing for safeties. Ed Reed has only had as many tackles as Sabby Piscitelli had in 2009 once in his career.

Tell us how they compare in sacks , ints , and forced fumbles  . Then tell us how they all compare cumulative over the course of thier entire careers.

Taken as a whole they do mean something , Mr. Contrarian.
: December 31, 2012, 12:53:57 PM Fire Mark Dummynik

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#355 : December 31, 2012, 01:18:29 PM

Tell us how they compare in sacks , ints , and forced fumbles  . Then tell us how they all compare cumulative over the course of thier entire careers.

Taken as a whole they do mean something , Mr. Contrarian.
The point is the average safety will play around 1,000 snaps over the course of a season and on the high side will tally 80 tackles, 1-2 sacks, 3-4 INT's, and 1-2 forced fumbles, but will still affect the other 900 snaps in which he receives no statistical measure. Ed Reed is amazing not because he gets 2-3 more INT's than everyone else does each year, he's amazing because he owns it on 900 plays in which he doesn't get credit for anything.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#356 : December 31, 2012, 01:21:38 PM

Barron was drafted at a spot where you'd better know he's on the field every game. Did you know he was on the field in at least 12 of our 16 games? No. There is a reason S's don't rise like that in the draft because it is hard, really hard, for them to be consistent impact players. Barron wasn't. He might be a nice average safety in the league. He might get a lot of fines for hits that makes the slobbering fools around here cheer but in the end we paid filet mignon price for a guy who is giving us at most flat iron results.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#357 : December 31, 2012, 01:27:02 PM

but in the end we paid filet mignon price for a guy who is giving us at most flat iron results.

who was filet mignon this past season?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#358 : December 31, 2012, 01:31:14 PM

Barron was drafted at a spot where you'd better know he's on the field every game. Did you know he was on the field in at least 12 of our 16 games? No. There is a reason S's don't rise like that in the draft because it is hard, really hard, for them to be consistent impact players. Barron wasn't. He might be a nice average safety in the league. He might get a lot of fines for hits that makes the slobbering fools around here cheer but in the end we paid filet mignon price for a guy who is giving us at most flat iron results.

Mark Cotney was a better strong safety than Barron.   Cotney was a 7th round pick.   Cotney was also a harder hitter.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#359 : December 31, 2012, 01:32:27 PM

Barron had two game-saving pass breakups this year. Are people really arguing about whether he was a bad pick after one year? A little patience, people!

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.
Page: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 33
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Hindsight....Should the Bucs have stayed at #5 and drafted Morris Claiborne ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools