Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Hindsight....Should the Bucs have stayed at #5 and drafted Morris Claiborne ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 33

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#30 : November 02, 2012, 12:46:23 PM

The difference is that Morris is a 5th round pick, and Martin is a 1st round pick. Martin has to be much, much better than Morris to justify his draft position.

If he singlehandedly wins us a lot of games like he did against the Vikings then there's no complaining to be done. That's what a first round RB should be able to do.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#31 : November 02, 2012, 12:49:56 PM

Morris was a 5th rounder. Are we really playing the blame game here for us not drafting him? Every team in the draft passed on him multiple times. Props to the Redskins for getting him. Shanahan always seems to find good RB's.

#32 : November 02, 2012, 01:21:40 PM

"Morris was a 5th rounder. Are we really playing the blame game here for us not drafting him? Every team in the draft passed on him multiple times. Props to the Redskins for getting him. Shanahan always seems to find good RB's......" ....for his zone scheme.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#33 : November 02, 2012, 01:23:50 PM

"Morris was a 5th rounder. Are we really playing the blame game here for us not drafting him? Every team in the draft passed on him multiple times. Props to the Redskins for getting him. Shanahan always seems to find good RB's......" ....for his zone scheme.
Yep, running backs tend to do better in Shanahan's ZBS. Morris' numbers wouldn't be as good if he was in a traditional offense like Martin is.

smithcar

Starter

#34 : November 02, 2012, 01:30:26 PM

That is a terrible arguement that Martin should be way better because he was a first round pick.  With that arguement, how do we explain Arian Foster?  He shouldn't even be close to the lead in rushing compared to running backs taken in the first round.

benir0

Hall of Famer
#35 : November 02, 2012, 01:31:06 PM

I still think we made the right decision.  Claiborne, to me, has potentially many of the same issues Talib does.  We got the guy we wanted and we are set up to get a couple of CBs in a draft that is deep with them.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#36 : November 02, 2012, 01:35:07 PM

I still think we made the right decision.  Claiborne, to me, has potentially many of the same issues Talib does.  We got the guy we wanted and we are set up to get a couple of CBs in a draft that is deep with them.
You mean Claiborne consistently demonstrates the ability to cover opposing receivers at a really high level, has no history of violence, and no history of drugs? Yeah, sounds just like Talib.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

smithcar

Starter

#37 : November 02, 2012, 01:36:06 PM

No we should not have taken Claiborne, we got the guy we wanted.  Lets play out the rookie season before we say it was a mistake.  Barron plays a huge role in our D, and is playing beside a guy who doesn't know what he is doing so that doesn't help him much.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : November 02, 2012, 01:37:01 PM

I agree with your first point, beniro. But we need pass rushers too. We don't know that Bowers, Bennett or Clayborn will ever be double-digit sack guys. We need THAT. If a stud DE falls to us, grab him in the first. OTOH if Milliner is there when we draft, you pick him. So we still have a few needs to address.

In Verner We Trust

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#39 : November 02, 2012, 01:38:02 PM

Obviously yes. Claiborne has been outstanding here in Dallas and Barron looks like he's a guy who, like people thought, is a good run supporter with issues in coverage, Winning the run game has helped us beat teams like KC and MIN so I guess if you want to beat bad teams we made the right move.

That's not who people thought he was. People thought he was instinctive, tough against the run and someone who could match up very well against the elite TE's in the NFC South. You name another true SS that can consistently lock down faster, smaller WR? Yeah, I thought so.
: November 02, 2012, 01:58:21 PM BucNY

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#40 : November 02, 2012, 01:53:42 PM

Obviously yes. Claiborne has been outstanding here in Dallas and Barron looks like he's a guy who, like people thought, is a good run supporter with issues in coverage, Winning the run game has helped us beat teams like KC and MIN so I guess if you want to beat bad teams we made the right move.

Keeping it real      ^^^^^^^

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#41 : November 02, 2012, 01:59:02 PM

Martin would not have been there at our 2nd rd pick. David most likely wouldn't be there for our 3rd rd pick. The 4th rounder we got directly impacted us getting 2 other players.

And say what you will about passing on Claiborne, we passed on every CB in the draft. Talib, Wright, Biggers, Gaitor, Lewis/Johnson probably (incorrectly) gave them enough confidence to not take a CB. Now that Talib has been suspended/traded, Wright is facing suspension and is always injured, Gaitor injured, Lewis sucking ballsacks - you really wish there was more CB depth. But hindsight is 20/20.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : November 02, 2012, 02:02:51 PM

You mean Claiborne consistently demonstrates the ability to cover opposing receivers at a really high level, has no history of violence, and no history of drugs? Yeah, sounds just like Talib.

Exactly, hell the only "character" issue was the wonderlic and everyone knows CB success is inversely proportional to their wonderlic score -- seriously. Talib had a history of off field problem when he entered the league.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

#43 : November 02, 2012, 02:19:02 PM

That is a terrible arguement that Martin should be way better because he was a first round pick.  With that arguement, how do we explain Arian Foster?  He shouldn't even be close to the lead in rushing compared to running backs taken in the first round.

Exactly.

Kubiak learned the zone under Shanny.

#44 : November 02, 2012, 02:24:37 PM

Martin would not have been there at our 2nd rd pick. David most likely wouldn't be there for our 3rd rd pick. The 4th rounder we got directly impacted us getting 2 other players.

And say what you will about passing on Claiborne, we passed on every CB in the draft. Talib, Wright, Biggers, Gaitor, Lewis/Johnson probably (incorrectly) gave them enough confidence to not take a CB. Now that Talib has been suspended/traded, Wright is facing suspension and is always injured, Gaitor injured, Lewis sucking ballsacks - you really wish there was more CB depth. But hindsight is 20/20.

Absolutely. Barron, Martin & David is much greater than Claiborne & ?  These players could be the foundation for the future.

Good points, but still, Talib being the best CB on the team just didn't relate on the field anyway as far as wins & passing D. I don't really think the DBs will do much worse & could actually do better. We'll see.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 33
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Hindsight....Should the Bucs have stayed at #5 and drafted Morris Claiborne ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools