Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did you lease or buy your car? « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: November 09, 2012, 08:24:20 PM

The old debate of leasing vs buying when it comes to car shopping.

Of course the answer is that it depends on several factors. But which do you go with?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : November 09, 2012, 08:47:01 PM

I bought my first few, leased once, and bought every one since then.    It works out about the same.   If you lease, you have to watch your miles.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 09, 2012, 09:29:07 PM

I buy pre-owned usually about 2-3 years old, low miles w/ a manufacturers warranty still in effect. Then I buy an extended warranty on top of that. I also buy cash but that part is what works for you.

Next vehicle will be the VW CC.

Buying an extended warranty as far as value goes may not be a good ROI. But that's a personal thing. I detest all car repair costs.

I would never buy or lease a brand new car again. Total waste of money.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 10, 2012, 08:25:58 AM

I buy pre-owned usually about 2-3 years old, low miles w/ a manufacturers warranty still in effect.

The right move financially. From a pure financial perspective, Durango's approach makes the most sense.

There are other considerations for some beyond financial.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 10, 2012, 11:17:39 AM

I buy pre-owned usually about 2-3 years old, low miles w/ a manufacturers warranty still in effect. Then I buy an extended warranty on top of that. I also buy cash but that part is what works for you.

Buying an extended warranty as far as value goes may not be a good ROI. But that's a personal thing. I detest all car repair costs.

So you purchase "used" from dealerships or private individuals or from a car supermarket like Carmax?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 10, 2012, 12:47:54 PM

So you purchase "used" from dealerships or private individuals or from a car supermarket like Carmax?

It would be more work, but your best deal (with some security behind it) is negotiating with a dealership. You probably can get a better deal from a private person, but with more risk and you run into people who overvalue their car.  Carmax (and the like) are making you pay a small premium for ease of purchase (although it is a good experience for those who don't want the hassle)

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 10, 2012, 01:13:02 PM

I've never done a private sale/ purchase.

My current vehicle I bought from Carmax. My first experience w/ them went okay. Had it shipped in from Miami or somewhere down south. It works well for me, I turn them over every few years. That way I keep current and have never needed any sort of major repair. I take a short warranty on top of that. depending what's left on the mfgrs.

I worked in a business that kept me close w/ car dealers but mostly car dealer groups  >:((which was easily the worst part of my job) So I have a grasp of how dealerships make money and am able to negotiate. By keeping my turnaround at every 2- 3 years I can get a better "trade-in value". So after the trade in I pay the difference in cash. Remember that an in-house finance deal is often more attractive for a dealership. So paying cash or using your own bank isn't something you would want to necessarily share right away. Of course nothing in buying and selling cars is a one size fits all situation.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 10, 2012, 02:18:14 PM

interesting information - thanks for posting/sharing

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 13, 2012, 03:48:13 PM

I buy, wifey gets a new lease every 3 years. That way we always have a good new car to drive.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did you lease or buy your car? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools