Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: just legalize it already « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14

jbear

Pro Bowler

« #15 : November 15, 2012, 02:40:08 AM »

My brother was just telling me that he thought the same thing about drug policy now that Obama has been reelected.  Thing is why the hell was he sending the feds into states that had legalized it trying to circumvent the states will over the last 4 years.  Even PBS knows Barry was big into the ganja in his younger days.  Fear of the christian right?  Anyway, I'd be more than pleased if there was a big change to drug policy. 

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #16 : November 15, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »

The federal govt has authority to override states rights

WHAAAAAT??????

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
the federal govt has deemed marijuana illegal so regardless of what state legalizes it, the federal govt can still come in and prosecute marijuana related drug charges.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #17 : November 15, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »

WHAAAAAT??????

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
the federal govt has deemed marijuana illegal so regardless of what state legalizes it, the federal govt can still come in and prosecute marijuana related drug charges.

Let me try again, where in the Constitution is Marijuana mentioned?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #18 : November 15, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »

you need to get the big words out of the JG?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #19 : November 15, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »

he was going to find it, but he forgot

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #20 : November 15, 2012, 08:57:10 PM »

WHAAAAAT??????

Amendment X

Constitution ?? What's that?  The feds can do whatever they want !!

I really can't blame Train Wreck for thinking that though , since the feds do ignore the 10th at every turn .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #21 : November 15, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

WHAAAAAT??????

Amendment X

Let me try again, where in the Constitution is Marijuana mentioned?
I'm just the messenger,
Gonzales v. Raich

(b) Congress’ power to regulate purely local activities that are part of an economic “class of activities” that have a substantial effect on interstate commerce is firmly established. See, e.g., Perez v. United States, 402 U.S. 146, 151. If Congress decides that the “ ‘total incidence’ ” of a practice poses a threat to a national market, it may regulate the entire class. See, e.g., id., at 154—155. Of particular relevance here is Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111, 127—128, where, in rejecting the appellee farmer’s contention that Congress’ admitted power to regulate the production of wheat for commerce did not authorize federal regulation of wheat production intended wholly for the appellee’s own consumption, the Court established that Congress can regulate purely intrastate activity that is not itself “commercial,” i.e., not produced for sale, if it concludes that failure to regulate that class of activity would undercut the regulation of the interstate market in that commodity. The similarities between this case and Wickard are striking. In both cases, the regulation is squarely within Congress’ commerce power because production of the commodity meant for home consumption, be it wheat or marijuana, has a substantial effect on supply and demand in the national market for that commodity. In assessing the scope of Congress’ Commerce Clause authority, the Court need not determine whether respondents’ activities, taken in the aggregate, substantially affect interstate commerce in fact, but only whether a “rational basis” exists for so concluding. E.g., Lopez, 514 U.S., at 557. Given the enforcement difficulties that attend distinguishing between marijuana cultivated locally and marijuana grown elsewhere, 21 U.S.C. § 801(5), and concerns about diversion into illicit channels, the Court has no difficulty concluding that Congress had a rational basis for believing that failure to regulate the intrastate manufacture and possession of marijuana would leave a gaping hole in the CSA (Controlled Substance Act).

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #22 : November 15, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »

FYI, I think it is absurd but this has been the case for over 30 yrs

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #23 : November 15, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »

I'm just the messenger,
Gonzales v. Raich

(b) Congress’ power to regulate purely local activities that are part of an economic “class of activities” that have a substantial effect on interstate commerce is firmly established. See, e.g., Perez v. United States, 402 U.S. 146, 151. If Congress decides that the “ ‘total incidence’ ” of a practice poses a threat to a national market, it may regulate the entire class. See, e.g., id., at 154—155. Of particular relevance here is Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111, 127—128, where, in rejecting the appellee farmer’s contention that Congress’ admitted power to regulate the production of wheat for commerce did not authorize federal regulation of wheat production intended wholly for the appellee’s own consumption, the Court established that Congress can regulate purely intrastate activity that is not itself “commercial,” i.e., not produced for sale, if it concludes that failure to regulate that class of activity would undercut the regulation of the interstate market in that commodity. The similarities between this case and Wickard are striking. In both cases, the regulation is squarely within Congress’ commerce power because production of the commodity meant for home consumption, be it wheat or marijuana, has a substantial effect on supply and demand in the national market for that commodity. In assessing the scope of Congress’ Commerce Clause authority, the Court need not determine whether respondents’ activities, taken in the aggregate, substantially affect interstate commerce in fact, but only whether a “rational basis” exists for so concluding. E.g., Lopez, 514 U.S., at 557. Given the enforcement difficulties that attend distinguishing between marijuana cultivated locally and marijuana grown elsewhere, 21 U.S.C. § 801(5), and concerns about diversion into illicit channels, the Court has no difficulty concluding that Congress had a rational basis for believing that failure to regulate the intrastate manufacture and possession of marijuana would leave a gaping hole in the CSA (Controlled Substance Act).

Damn , Train Wreck is right.

Should have known that the commerce clause covers everything and overrides everything. Further proof the constitution is dead.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #24 : November 15, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »

I'm just the messenger,
Gonzales v. Raich

Should have known that the commerce clause covers everything and overrides everything. Further proof the constitution is dead.
who do we have to thank for that?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #25 : November 16, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »

I'm just the messenger,
Gonzales v. Raich

Power hungry career politicians , activist judges , and a brain-dead populace who either doesn't pay attention or actually craves centralized authority over every aspect of our lives... not sure which is worse , but all have played a part.

All I know is that anyone who has read the federalist papers knows that this type of thing was not original intent...

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #26 : November 16, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »

Fed. government can sue the state of Colorado to overturn the legalization of Marijuana, but it doesn't look likely and people would be up in arms.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #27 : November 26, 2012, 09:56:11 PM »

Marijuana Decriminalization Drops Youth Crime Rates by Stunning 20% in One Year
Arresting and putting low-level juvenile offenders into the criminal-justice system pulls many kids deeper into trouble rather than turning them around.
November 26, 2012

Marijuana — it’s one of the primary reasons why California experienced a stunning 20 percent drop in juvenile arrests in just one year, between 2010 and 2011, according to provocative new research.
The San Francisco-based Center on Juvenile & Criminal Justice (CJCJ) recently released a policy briefing with an analysis of arrest data collected by the California Department of Justice’s Criminal Justice Statistics Center. The briefing, “ California Youth Crime Plunges to All-Time Low ,” identifies a new state marijuana decriminalization law that applies to juveniles, not just adults, as the driving force behind the  plummeting arrest totals.

After the new pot law went into effect in January 2011, simple marijuana possession arrests of California juveniles fell from 14,991 in 2010 to 5,831 in 2011, a 61 percent difference, the report by CJCJ senior research fellow Mike Males found. 

“Arrests for youths for the largest single drug category, marijuana, fell by 9,000 to a level not seen since before the 1980s implementation of the ‘war on drugs,’ ” Males wrote in the report, released in October. 

In November, as Males  blogged recently, voters in Washington state and Colorado voted to legalize but regulate marijuana use, like alcohol, for people over 21. California’s 2010 law did not legalize marijuana, but it officially knocked down “simple” possession of less than one ounce to an infraction from a misdemeanor — and it applies to minors, not just people over 21. Police don’t arrest people for infractions; usually, they ticket them. And infractions are punishable not by jail time, but by fines — a $100 fine in California in the case of less than one ounce of pot.

“I think it was pretty courageous not to put an age limit on it,” said Males, a longtime researcher on juvenile justice and a former sociology professor at the University of California at Santa Cruz.

Arresting and putting low-level juvenile offenders into the criminal-justice system pulls many kids deeper into trouble rather than turning them around, Males said, a conclusion many law-enforcement experts share.

California’s 2010 law  still makes it a misdemeanor for anyone over 18 to possess less than an ounce of pot on school grounds, Males noted. For an adult, that’s an offense punishable by a $500 fine, ten days in a county jail or both. A minor caught on school grounds with less than an ounce of marijuana is also guilty of a misdemeanor and faces a $150 fine for the first offense, a $500 fine for a second offense and commitment to youth detention for not more than 10 days.

Before the passage of the 2010 law, Californians caught with less than an ounce of pot were arrested by the thousands every year, ultimately facing a fine of $100 fine and, under certain conditions, referral to drug treatment or education. Many of those arrested were booked, others were released but required to appear in court. They could demand a trial. Strained courts had to take up time ordering diversion treatment programs — a waste of court resources, supporters of a reform said.   

Backed by the California District Attorneys Association, the  new pot law  — passed by state lawmakers — did away with prior requirements that pot offenders be referred to treatment and now allows them to pay a $100 fine akin to that for jaywalking. When Gov. Arnold  Schwarzenegger signed the law, he noted that simple pot possession in California was already “an infraction in everything but name.”

Males said he suspects that many of the 5,831 marijuana arrests of juveniles in California last year may have occurred on school grounds. He doesn’t have data yet to check his theory, however.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #28 : November 26, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »

there's all kinds of diversionary programs for juvenile first time offenders anyway that keeps them out of the juvenile justice system

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #29 : November 27, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »

I'm just the messenger,
Gonzales v. Raich

Power hungry career politicians , activist judges , and a brain-dead populace who either doesn't pay attention or actually craves centralized authority over every aspect of our lives... not sure which is worse , but all have played a part.

All I know is that anyone who has read the federalist papers knows that this type of thing was not original intent...
all I know is that anyone with common sense knows that whatever the original intent of americas four fathers was, is subject to social evolution.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: just legalize it already « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools