Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nnamdi Asomugha « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

kylel6901

Starter

: November 14, 2012, 10:35:24 AM

Jeff McLane of the Philly Inquirer believes the chances of Nnamdi Asomugha returning to the Eagles in 2013 are "slim."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=779&line=247621&spln=1

Just wanna see a show of numbers from Bucs fans as seeing the secondary has struggled so much... If the Eagles decide to cut Asomugha would you be interested in bringing him in for the right price as a Free Agent CB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 14, 2012, 10:42:04 AM

i think its definitely something that should be looked at.  what really needs to be looked at is every play he's been a part of.  what does he do well?  is he still able to do that well?  what does he struggle with?  why has his performance in philly be subpar by his accustomed standards?  is he falling apart?  or is he caught in a bad situation?  is he actually limited as what he can do as a player.  lots of questions i know, sure to upset some.

if he fits in with what we want to do, and his level of play is steady, sure.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 14, 2012, 10:46:54 AM

I wanted no part of him and his contract. I got flamed for saying so. We seem to be playing more man to man than we did two years ago under Morris. At one point man to man coverage was his strength. If that is still the case we can look at him but he wasn't worth the big money back then and isn't worth it now. He's been good but he's never been a guy who created a lot of INTs. It has to be a reasonable contract.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

kylel6901

Starter

#3 : November 14, 2012, 10:46:55 AM

Scouting at beginning of year- He is one of the biggest and most athletic perimeter defenders in the league. He uses his length and strength to reroute receivers. He can be explosive in transition and shows excellent range defending the run as well as the pass. Asomugha, a nine-year veteran, brings experience and a physical presence to the secondary.

Negative criticism thus far in two years with Philly-  Clearly declining at age 31, Asomugha seems to have lost quick-twitch athleticism and certainly no longer possesses speed or burst to recover after wide receivers get past his press coverage. He's also one of the worst tackling cornerbacks in football.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#4 : November 14, 2012, 10:50:59 AM

He's also one of the worst tackling cornerbacks in football.

+1 

I don't see Schiano bringing in a CB that doesn't want to stick his nose in a RB's chest. 

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 14, 2012, 11:02:31 AM

No thanks. I would rather us try to acquire Flowers from the Chiefs, he is a better CB than Nnamdi. Nnamdi has been picked on quite a bit this year. QBs aren't afraid to throw at him like they were when he was at Oakland.

As far as one of the worst tacklers, Nnamdi has only missed 6 tackles this year. Both Wright and Biggers have 9.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#6 : November 14, 2012, 11:08:27 AM

he would be an uprade to Biggers, but at his pricetag he would need to be a #1 and I wound't want to overpay ANOTHER corner right now. The Wright contract is bad enough. I'd rather invest in a veteran lineman than a veteran corner right now personally.

kylel6901

Starter

#7 : November 14, 2012, 11:11:46 AM

Yea I like Flowers a lot! Given around the right defense and system I think he can be a top 10 CB... He does have a big contract though, Flowers just recently signed a contract that I believe was like 6 years 50mil? What do you think it would take for us to get Flowers from KC? Cuz I don't see them cutting him at the seasons end. They have a few players on there Defense that I like... Houston who is untouchable! Flowers, Berry, D Johnson and am intrigued by Allen Bailey for the right price...

cryptfiend

Starter

#8 : November 14, 2012, 11:24:23 AM

philly isn't using him right.

Nnamdi is used to playing press man coverage, but also on one side of the field.  Instead of shutting down the opposing team's number one corner...he shut down an entire side of the field.  Some teams (like philly) might see that as "well, the other team is just going to shift their number 1 over to the other side of the field and then roll"....but then nnamdi's team can shift all of their coverage over there too.

He is clearly declining...but if someone is willing to use him in the exact way that oakland used him...I think he is more than worth the risk of a look, even at a slightly inflated contract (not like the one he has now though)

Ms Elam

Starter

#9 : November 14, 2012, 11:54:31 AM

The problem with bringing in a corner via free agency is he would have to be aclear cut number 1 corner. Any guy who knows he is coming into be the #1 is going to want more money than Eric Wright. We've already over paid Eric, I just don't think its a smart idea to have 2 over paid corners. Dom really dropped the ball with this one. Eric Wright isn't terrible but he isn't worth what we paid and that will pretty much prohibit this team from paying for a true number 1 corner in FA.

kylel6901

Starter

#10 : November 14, 2012, 12:01:56 PM

Some potential Free Agent CB available this off season will be Mike Jenkins, Sheldon Brown, Chris Houston, Brent Grimes, Tracey Porter, Rashean Mathis, Derek Cox, Antoine Cason, Marucs Trufant, Dominique Rodgers Cromartie kinda the best names at the top of the list... also Gamble, Asomugha, D Hall a few guys that could be cap casualties.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 14, 2012, 12:07:51 PM

Im sure we will sign a FA and draft a guy. We need some new blood at that position. Im also excited to see how Leonard Johnson and LaQuan Lewis do with their opportunity. They have a whole half of the season to show what they can do. Who knows maybe we wont even need a corner that badly if these two play well.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 14, 2012, 12:12:52 PM

The problem with bringing in a corner via free agency is he would have to be aclear cut number 1 corner. Any guy who knows he is coming into be the #1 is going to want more money than Eric Wright. We've already over paid Eric, I just don't think its a smart idea to have 2 over paid corners. Dom really dropped the ball with this one. Eric Wright isn't terrible but he isn't worth what we paid and that will pretty much prohibit this team from paying for a true number 1 corner in FA.

if we want anyone with talent that we can trust, it will certainly cost more than eric wright, thats a given.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 14, 2012, 12:15:57 PM

Yea I like Flowers a lot! Given around the right defense and system I think he can be a top 10 CB... He does have a big contract though, Flowers just recently signed a contract that I believe was like 6 years 50mil? What do you think it would take for us to get Flowers from KC?

He is due to make $9.6 and $9.5 million the next 2 seasons. If they are willing to part with him for a 4th, maybe a 3rd...then that would be a good trade. Money shouldn't be an issue for this team next season. Yes, they will need to resign a few guys like Bennett and maybe Roy Miller, but they will roll over the extra $13-15 mil that is available now. Truebloods contract will expire. Davin and QB can be cut saving $10mil+. Ronde will probably retire. Then after the 2013 season, Wright can be cut to sort of counter balance things.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 14, 2012, 12:31:14 PM

Much prefer 26 yo Flowers to 31 and over the hill Aso

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nnamdi Asomugha « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools