Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tackle Play « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 16, 2012, 06:02:22 PM

I think the guy is taken for granted .

Absolutely....he has had issues with carrying too much weight in mid-to-latter parts of seasons but that was mostly under Raheem's watch so I'm guessing that won't happen with Toes-on-the-line......

freddy

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 16, 2012, 06:19:32 PM

I totally agree. People need to scratch RT off of the wish list for the offseason. Seems we found one.  Dude has been exceptional in pass blocking, and has been solid in run blocking.

I though Penn did a decent job vs. the Chargers, but the two weeks before that he was average. This is just what Penn is. He peppers in really good performances amongst bad/mediocre performances. The next 4 weeks he will face some pretty wicked pass rush, so he needs to pick it up.

We still need depth behind Dotson though so a late round pick wouldn't hurt. Meridith has shown to be ample depth at Guard, not so sure about tackle though. Also, who is the back-up LT for next year? So yeah, a pick on OT wouldn't hurt. I'm glad Dotson has panned out. I had high hopes for him at the start, thought he may have flopped out but has rebounded nicely.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 16, 2012, 06:23:30 PM

I totally agree. People need to scratch RT off of the wish list for the offseason. Seems we found one.  Dude has been exceptional in pass blocking, and has been solid in run blocking.

I though Penn did a decent job vs. the Chargers, but the two weeks before that he was average. This is just what Penn is. He peppers in really good performances amongst bad/mediocre performances. The next 4 weeks he will face some pretty wicked pass rush, so he needs to pick it up.

We still need depth behind Dotson though so a late round pick wouldn't hurt. Meridith has shown to be ample depth at Guard, not so sure about tackle though. Also, who is the back-up LT for next year? So yeah, a pick on OT wouldn't hurt. I'm glad Dotson has panned out. I had high hopes for him at the start, thought he may have flopped out but has rebounded nicely.

Was speaking of a starting RT. In the last month I have seen people saying that they want us to take a OT in the first few rounds of the draft to play RT. My post was to say that should no longer be on the "wish list". I'm all for adding depth to the OL.

freddy

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 16, 2012, 06:26:43 PM

Was speaking of a starting RT. In the last month I have seen people saying that they want us to take a OT in the first few rounds of the draft to play RT. My post was to say that should no longer be on the "wish list". I'm all for adding depth to the OL.

Cool. Must have missed those. In that case I agree, no biggy.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 17, 2012, 09:08:33 AM

Meredith was the backup at T. The move to G was because Larson was struggling and Trueblood didn't fit. Larson has held his own playing C. It absolutely is great coaching, but for some reason, Trueblood has not responded well to it. Meredith and Larson have.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#20 : November 17, 2012, 09:12:16 AM

I'm so glad Dotson finally got a spot.

I think we have definitely found the RT for the foreseeable future. May have found a future LT even.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 17, 2012, 09:14:53 AM

Meredith was the backup at T. The move to G was because Larson was struggling and Trueblood didn't fit. Larson has held his own playing C. It absolutely is great coaching, but for some reason, Trueblood has not responded well to it. Meredith and Larson have.

Trueblood "has not responded" because he sucks.  Thankfully, this staff recognizes that fact and he'll be off the team next season.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#22 : November 17, 2012, 10:08:44 AM

Well I'm not exactly sure sucks is the correct word, but it's clear that Trueblood isn't the best right tackle on the team this year. I also agree that Dot has done very well at the right tackle spot and I don't think we need to spend a pick early on in the draft for another player. However, depth is certainly a area of concern and you should aways be drafting someone to groom for a starting position.

And my only comment about Biggs post about the pressures and hurries that Penn has posted in the two games against Minnesota and Oakland is that in both games he was playing against top 10 defensive ends. Penn is not a top 10 left tackle, but he's certainly not a bad player and I honestly feel that Penn has played pretty consistent all season. And with with Nicks and Joseph out, he been a leader on the offensive line serving as an example to the younger guys on the line.  What Penn lacks in talent, he has always made up in tenacity. I'm fine with his play and I suspect the coaching staff is too.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 17, 2012, 10:18:40 AM

And my only comment about Biggs post about the pressures and hurries that Penn has posted in the two games against Minnesota and Oakland is that in both games he was playing against top 10 defensive ends.

Agreed that Jared Allen is a top 10 DE, but Oakland's DE that was beating Penn is a part-time player that was just signed off of the street six weeks ago.

freddy

Hall of Famer

#24 : November 17, 2012, 10:22:18 AM

I know he was the backup T, but he has been short of stellar as a back-up guard. Can't have the same guy backing up both positions really. Need to find more depth and I'd prefer Meridith stay at Guard. I'd also like to replace Larsen too if possible. So far he has been better at center than guard but if the opportunity arises, he needs replaced too.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#25 : November 17, 2012, 10:28:44 AM

And my only comment about Biggs post about the pressures and hurries that Penn has posted in the two games against Minnesota and Oakland is that in both games he was playing against top 10 defensive ends.

Agreed that Jared Allen is a top 10 DE, but Oakland's DE that was beating Penn is a part-time player that was just signed off of the street six weeks ago.

I'm sure I saw him playing against Seymoure on more than one occasion as Seymoure moved to the outside. I suspect that if you looked closely, some of those stats were from Penn was battling him.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#26 : November 17, 2012, 11:28:11 AM

Richard Seymore had one QB hurry vs. Tampa, but he plays inside for Oakland.  And he wouldn't be considered a top 10 DE. 

It was Matt Shaughnessy and Andre Carter that Penn was going up against vs. Oakland.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#27 : November 17, 2012, 11:32:56 AM

Draft a run blocker and start him out as a swing tackle. This O-line will be even better when they get the two pro bowlers back.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#28 : November 17, 2012, 11:35:49 AM

Depth has been a concern for this OL for a long time now. Glad Dotson finally got his shot and is proving his worth. You can always sign depth in FA with UDFAs.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#29 : November 17, 2012, 12:31:27 PM

Haven't heard much about "Seymore". UDFA? Definitely not a top tier DE.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tackle Play « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools