Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Biblical economics « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#30 : November 28, 2012, 07:39:57 PM

Wreck Ship, try again.  Is this sentence true:

many conservative Americans view themselves as devout believers in the Bible

Simple, "yes" or "no"

:D
yes

Even your boy One Truth disagrees, but I would not expect anything from you other than a "yes"  Like i said, mold your own reality.  Carry on . .
but this thread isn't about my reality is it? see how you fail even at the most basic level of  following along? but I wouldnt expect anything less from a conservative

not sure that make sense. By definition almost, a thread you create is about your reality, right? I mean you posted the article presumably because you subscribe to the point it makes, right? I just pointed out that it was built on a false premise and you continue to defend that false premise, so I'd say it is about your reality.
It's Not a false premise. The only thing you've pointed out is you're failure to comprehend a philosophical argument.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#31 : November 28, 2012, 07:42:13 PM

It's Not a false premise. The only thing you've pointed out is you're failure to comprehend a philosophical argument.

according to the author why is it "ironic" ? What is the premise that sets up the irony?

Conservative Americans "ascribe to right-wing, dog-eat-dog economic theories" and that is ironic because . . . . "many American conservatives" are "devout believers in the Bible"

not so hard to understand . . . for most
: November 28, 2012, 07:47:10 PM VinBucFan

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#32 : November 28, 2012, 07:58:05 PM

according to the author why is it "ironic" ? What is the premise that sets up the irony?

Conservative Americans "ascribe to right-wing, dog-eat-dog economic theories" and that is ironic because . . . . "many American conservatives" are "devout believers in the Bible"

Listen, I am not a religious person and I'm not conservative, both of which are combined in this article to make a point that I agree with. I'm not OneTruths biggest fan but I respect his convictions so if he can comprehend the article then I'm confident anybody else who possesses rationale thought can process the article. Your obvious fail is confirmation that the author is right and you're still a conservative.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#33 : November 28, 2012, 08:49:08 PM

Listen, I am not a religious person and I'm not conservative, both of which are combined in this article to make a point that I agree with. I'm not OneTruths biggest fan but I respect his convictions so if he can comprehend the article then I'm confident anybody else who possesses rationale thought can process the article. Your obvious fail is confirmation that the author is right and you're still a conservative.

as opposed to the possibility that the article is based on a false stereotype . . . actually two false stereotypes. That you agree with the point is obvious. I pulled one of the legs out of the foundation and you just inserted a different one to keep your treasured conclusion.  Like I said, if the facts dont work . . It is a FACT that conservatives that are devout believers in the Bible make up only a small minority of all conservatives. You did not like that FACT so you just made another one up to keep the argument propped up:

Compared to liberals, conservatives are devout believers in the bible.
: November 28, 2012, 08:50:58 PM VinBucFan

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#34 : November 29, 2012, 07:35:32 AM

doesn't the article say "...many Americans VIEW themselves as devout...". That is very subjective and difficult to argue against ~ or defend for that matter. I agree with it, but you do not. It is simply differing opinions... one cannot be proven or disproven because the statement is purely subjective.
: November 29, 2012, 07:37:57 AM OneTruth

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#35 : November 29, 2012, 01:06:49 PM

There is a group that does practice "Biblical Economics"; they are the Amish. Everyone shares land and resources, but no cars, smart phones, modern medicine, or even electricity.

Think I'll pass

and posting this article on the internet is beyond ironic

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#36 : November 29, 2012, 01:56:40 PM

I do believe this is about the closest dreck ship has ever come to having a point. The fatal flaw in this argument is the supposed benevolence of the democrats here - they're not "giving" anything, they're using money they stole to purchase votes from the poor. There's no charity involved.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#37 : November 29, 2012, 03:05:53 PM

There is a group that does practice "Biblical Economics"; they are the Amish. Everyone shares land and resources, but no cars, smart phones, modern medicine, or even electricity.

Think I'll pass

smart

spartan

Hall of Famer
#38 : November 30, 2012, 03:57:27 PM

I do believe this is about the closest dreck ship has ever come to having a point. The fatal flaw in this argument is the supposed benevolence of the democrats here - they're not "giving" anything, they're using money they stole to purchase votes from the poor. There's no charity involved.

Kinda ironic really. "Progressives" are always running around screaming about fair share etc and how heartless and fanatical religious zealots conservatives are. Yet, when it comes down to it, Conservatives advocate and practice giving of their own time, money and effort to the "unfortunate", and Progressives are very keen to give of other peoples time, money and effort. Especially the money bit.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Biblical economics « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools