Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "There was disenchantment with Wright’s play, even before the suspension" « previous next »
Page: 1 2

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #15 : November 28, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »

If we cut him later on in the offseason, not sure any team would pick him up.  If you can't play for the DB starved Bucs, who can you play for?    Is there actually a team out there with DB's than the Bucs?

I suppose he might hook up with some team, at a very modest salary.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #16 : November 28, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »

But he can tackle on perimeter runs! He's physical! Who cares that he can't cover?

The funny thing about ^this^ is that all along we where hearing the that the two biggest secondary acquisitions in the offseason(Wright and Barron), were excellent tacklers and would help to limit big plays.

The reality is that they have been dreadful. They have missed a lot of tackles, and they get abused in every which way when they are on the field. Hope we have better luck with the '13 secondary acquisitions.

We like to sit here and talk smack about the guy, but thinking realistically here... how much do we put on this guys shoulders?

I mean, there has been little to no passrush whatsoever, and aren't those guys up front supposed to make life hell for QB's and make it easier for the secondary?

Coverage is a catch 22, get to the QB and he'll cough it up. Tampa hasn't, so how do we place a large a out of blame squarey on him? Yeah, he sucks, but...

I agree about pass D being more about just the secondary. Our DL and LBs share the guilt. I can admit that part of the problem that a lot of fans(myself included) have with Wirght is that he was sought after and sold to us as a top flight CB who would help solidify the secondary. So automatically, we expect him to come in and be at least solid. It sucks, but his play will be somewhat be tied to his pay. He is nowhere near worth what has spent. His history shows that he really isn't much better than Biggers as a CB, if at all. Coverage has been bad across the board, so I won't sh*t on him too much for that, but what I consider inexcusable are the missed tackles. The dude had been a solid tackler before this year, but he was a bad tackler in most of the games he played.

That's funny though. I NEVER thought of Wright as "solid." I think of the detroit games and shake my head. He is who I thought he was.

However, you never know... Scrabble was supposed to be as "solid" as they get in coverage. Come to find out with him in their new system, once stuck on an island, the guy can't actually cover!

Wright was a reach, and possibly could've done better with a new team. He didn't, and the hope Dom had for a happenstance CB to eventually fill Talib's troubled shoes went all funhouse mirror on the Bucs.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #17 : November 28, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »

But he can tackle on perimeter runs! He's physical! Who cares that he can't cover?

The funny thing about ^this^ is that all along we where hearing the that the two biggest secondary acquisitions in the offseason(Wright and Barron), were excellent tacklers and would help to limit big plays.

The reality is that they have been dreadful. They have missed a lot of tackles, and they get abused in every which way when they are on the field. Hope we have better luck with the '13 secondary acquisitions.

We like to sit here and talk smack about the guy, but thinking realistically here... how much do we put on this guys shoulders?

I mean, there has been little to no passrush whatsoever, and aren't those guys up front supposed to make life hell for QB's and make it easier for the secondary?

Coverage is a catch 22, get to the QB and he'll cough it up. Tampa hasn't, so how do we place a large a out of blame squarey on him? Yeah, he sucks, but...

I agree about pass D being more about just the secondary. Our DL and LBs share the guilt. I can admit that part of the problem that a lot of fans(myself included) have with Wirght is that he was sought after and sold to us as a top flight CB who would help solidify the secondary. So automatically, we expect him to come in and be at least solid. It sucks, but his play will be somewhat be tied to his pay. He is nowhere near worth what has spent. His history shows that he really isn't much better than Biggers as a CB, if at all. Coverage has been bad across the board, so I won't sh*t on him too much for that, but what I consider inexcusable are the missed tackles. The dude had been a solid tackler before this year, but he was a bad tackler in most of the games he played.

That's funny though. I NEVER thought of Wright as "solid." I think of the detroit games and shake my head. He is who I thought he was.

However, you never know... Scrabble was supposed to be as "solid" as they get in coverage. Come to find out with him in their new system, once stuck on an island, the guy can't actually cover!

Wright was a reach, and possibly could've done better with a new team. He didn't, and the hope Dom had for a happenstance CB to eventually fill Talib's troubled shoes went all funhouse mirror on the Bucs.

I would call it a gamble on Dom's part.  And they were desperate at the time.  He rolled the dice and it didn't work out.  It's a miracle he had the drug/suspension clause in his contract.   I am sure they did a lot of homework on the dude,  with his bit of a checkered past.   

So turn the page, send him packing after the season, and invest that recouped money in another free agent.   Sean Smith would be nice, just sayin.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "There was disenchantment with Wright’s play, even before the suspension" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools