Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 11/25/12 vs. Falcons: Analysis of the complete misuse of Gerald McCoy « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

chace1986

Hall of Famer

: November 27, 2012, 01:35:02 PM

Some can label him a bust. Some can say that he just isn't that good. That he wasn't worthy of the #3 pick. Ok. Opinions are opinions. No one is going to see things the same. All that I ask upon reading this thread, is to have an open mind about how Sheridan & Co might be misusing GMC.

Lets get started.

The first two shots below are the first two plays of the game. The defensive play call has all of the DLmen attacking upfield. GMC is highlighted.

This is what GMC does best. Get up field son, and disrupt.

Over the next few plays, you see several successful stretch runs by Rodgers in which the edges weren't sealed properly. We then see 4 play (one of which was a penalty on Roddy White) where GMC is taken off the field. When GMC returns, that when we start to see the BS. The 3 pictures are the last 3 plays of the drive from left to right.

In the first two shots above, you notice that the rest of the DL is getting upfield. Not GMC. The play call has him running a stunt in which the lineman to his left or right needs to first cross his face, then he loops around them. The last shot isn't as bad, but he still isn't getting straight upfield. It's more of a horizontal rush. Luckily Ryan made a dumb decision of tossing it to Rodgers instead of hitting an open target at the goal line. That's all from the first drive that saw GMC get a few nice penetrations on runs. Face one double team on a pass play, and then run three of these retarded stunts.

Below is the first play of the second drive. Here we see GMC going against another double team, not his best effort, but then again it's two against one.

On 2nd and 3, we see a run play go to Turner for no gain. Now..on to 3 and 3. I pull a chunk of hair out every time I look at this pic below.

Lol. Yes, we did only rush 2. Yes, that is Bennett and McCoy dropping back in coverage. Yes, Ryan has all day to pump fake over to Rodgers and find Gonzo for a 1st down.
Let's go to the next play. Below is a shot that shows Bennett(black oval) dropping back into coverage from the LDE spot while McCoy dives over and becomes the edge rusher, while Watson shoots McCoy's vacated gap. Result of the play is another first down.

After a normal rush by McCoy and a loss of 3 by the Falcons, we see the next play, that they don't try to get cute with McCoy and he gets right in Ryan's face for a what could be classified as a pressure/hurry or even QB hit.

The next play is 3rd and 7...and what happens? They try and get cute again and run a stunt in which GMC loops around DTN to his right. There is no one there to get in Ryan's throwing lane since now there are 3 rushers attempting to come at his blindside. Not only do we not get there, but there is ZERO chance that we get those hands up to bat the ball down. Play results in yet another Gonzo 1st down.

This is the play that we see what GMC can do. Its 1st and 10 at the 14 and the Falcons attempt to run a stretch to GMCs side. Ain't happening. He completely demolishes the play resulting in a 4 yard loss. Notice there is nothing fancy about this, its just "get your ass up field and f*ck sh*t up" football.

The next play wee see Ryan break containment and run for a 13 yard gain, resulting in 3rd and 1. GMC should have continued to work up field, but for some reason he shifted left and Ryan was able to get outside both he and DTN. The following play was the TD to Rodgers which you will see below. The reason it is showed is because GMC is not on the field during the play. Screw resting him, it's 3rd and 1 and he is your best penetrator.

The next Falcons drive we see 2 plays and GMC is off the field for both. On the 3rd play, GMC faces a double team on a 3 man rush...but it results in the Barber int. Excellent spin move by Bowers as he forces Ryan to get rid of it and make a quick decision. So no screen shots needed here.
The next two plays are more of GMC not doing what he does best. The shot on the left has GMC running other stunt and not getting upfield. The shot on the right has him lined up at LDE on a 3 man rush. Both plays result in little pass rush and two throws for first downs.

The next two screenshots are not good plays by GMC. The one on the left shows GMC getting beat by a double team from the LG and LT on a stretch run to Turner that results in a 10 yard gain. The right shows him on a vertical pass rush but the RG does a good job in holding his ground. It should be noted though, that Ryan got rid of this ball immediately. As you can see, David comes as a free rusher and still could not get there before he released it. That play resulted in a big gain inside the 20 to Roddy.

The next two plays we see GMC clog the middle on a double team, then him face another double team on the pass play in which Jones got called for offensive PI.

The following two plays we see GMC get good burst, but loses his footing on the first. The second play, we see that GMC is at least the closest defender to Ryan, but probably not close enough to classify as a pressure when watching in real time.

The half ends with two failed throws from Matt Ryan and a missed FG. On the two throws, GMC faced no double teams and did not stunt. He didn't get much pressure on the first play which was the fade to Julio Jones and he had the G dove at his knees on the play where Ryan just threw the ball away.

END OF HALF.

On the first play from scrimmage for the Falcons offense, they hit Julio on the 80 yarder. GMC gets decent penetration and the DC did not have him stunt. He tries to get his hand up to bat it down, but the arch of the throw is to high.

The first play of the next drive GMC bursts through and forces Ryan to throw the screen too early, resulting in no gain.

After a run play of 3 yards, Sheridan gets right back to the cute stuff with another stunt having GMC loop around the right end. Ryan makes a bad throw, 3 and out.

After the DL holds ground and forces a -2 yard run, we see GMC burst through on the designed screen.

That is all the screenshots that I have the time to do. There were only a few more plays that could have been put up anyway, since the Falcons had the fumble by Biggers early in the 4th and had a pretty quick scoring drive. My whole point is that McCoy is best when he is getting straight up the field and not loop around and doing all the things that are meant for speedy ends to do.

GMC was on the field for 32 pass plays. Of those, he was involved in 8 of these ridiculous stunts, and even dropped back into coverage once. You also could consider that on 7 other pass plays, he faced a double team. Not saying that as an excuse, just laying it out there in case some are curious how many times he faces double teams.
All that said, I do understand the criticism. He needs to continue to try and get better at getting after the passer. For me, the encouraging thing is that when he is asked to go straight up field, he has shown the ability to be an excellent penetrator, and hopefully we see more of that penetration in pass rush situations and not just in run D. One thing is for sure, this run D would not be anywhere near as formidable as it is now, and would not lead the league in TFL, if it weren't for #93.

So Sheridan, I ask, please...cut the crap and let GMC get up field!
: November 28, 2012, 09:55:40 AM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 27, 2012, 01:43:00 PM

This is the play that we see what GMC can do. Its 1st and 10 at the 14 and the Falcons attempt to run a stretch to GMCs side. Ain't happening. He completely demolishes the play resulting in a 4 yard loss. Notice there is nothing fancy about this, its just "get your ass up field and f*ck sh*t up" football.

I believe David makes the tackle on this play, therefore McCoy was useless.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 27, 2012, 01:55:31 PM

Yup. David did make the tackle, but the penetration 4 yards deep in the back field made Rodgers completely stop in order to dodge McCoy allowing David to make the TFL.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

#3 : November 27, 2012, 01:58:28 PM

if mccoy doesn't get that penetration david does not make the tackle.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#4 : November 27, 2012, 01:58:33 PM

I knew what this thread was going to be about before I opened it.  I hate all the stunts that he's running and he does too! 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 27, 2012, 02:00:50 PM

Thanks chace. I dont understand why they keep going with these stunts and dont let these guys get after the QB. GMAC said earlier that when they let them get after it they have had success with it. Maybe GMAC needs to step up and call out the coaches more like Sapp used to. Coaches arent always right. In fact they have been wrong more than right this year. Whats it hurt letting the front four get after it the last 5 games. If I was Schiano I would be doing some experimenting with this defense the last 4-5 weeks this season. If the defense improves, playoff chances improve.

britbuc14

Starter

#6 : November 27, 2012, 02:01:33 PM

David made the tackle after Rodgers was forced back inside to avoid being plowed by McCoy

Due to the Head Coaching circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned back on. We appreciate your patience.

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

#7 : November 27, 2012, 02:02:37 PM

Great analysis, Chace. McCoy has brought it up to the coaching staff multiple times. I would really like to know their rationale behind consistently using stunts.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 27, 2012, 02:05:48 PM

Yup. David did make the tackle, but the penetration 4 yards deep in the back field made Rodgers completely stop in order to dodge McCoy allowing David to make the TFL.
Biggs was making fun of the people crying about McCoy's lack of stats.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#9 : November 27, 2012, 02:06:42 PM

" GMAC said earlier that when they let them get after it they have had success with it. "

Worst pass defense in the NFL = success?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#10 : November 27, 2012, 02:10:37 PM

dejavu. They did this crap with GMC and the rest of the line earlier this season, Sapp called McCoy and told him to speak up to the coaches. He did, and the next Sunday our D Line was flying around like we've never seen. (I don't remember when this was, but it was early this season). It seems they have regressed back to the same stuff with stunts. Time for McCoy to speak up again.

Anyone else remember all this??

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 27, 2012, 02:17:06 PM

" GMAC said earlier that when they let them get after it they have had success with it. "

Worst pass defense in the NFL = success?

Well they havent let them get after the QB as much. They have been running stunts mostly. When McCoy told the coaches to let them go, they had success and got pressure. They gotta try something new.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#12 : November 27, 2012, 02:23:23 PM

dejavu. They did this crap with GMC and the rest of the line earlier this season, Sapp called McCoy and told him to speak up to the coaches. He did, and the next Sunday our D Line was flying around like we've never seen. (I don't remember when this was, but it was early this season). It seems they have regressed back to the same stuff with stunts. Time for McCoy to speak up again.

Anyone else remember all this??

I remember it. The next week, the D really stepped up and successfully held a Manning to just a little over 500 yards.

Let's hope it's not Deja Vu.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#13 : November 27, 2012, 02:26:57 PM

wrong Illuminator. I found the article.
http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bucs/2012/sep/29/1/sapps-advice-working-out-for-mccoy-ar-517341/
This was AFTER the Giants game and before the Cowboys game. I remember we got to Romo a lot in that game.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 27, 2012, 02:30:28 PM

I remember it RHBF. And as I recall, it resulted in Tony Romo getting nearly killed. Literally. I thought GMC hit him so hard he died.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 11/25/12 vs. Falcons: Analysis of the complete misuse of Gerald McCoy « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools