Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Itís all coming together because the Bucs are letting #5 play to his strengths « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

ę : November 29, 2012, 12:30:47 AM Ľ

Bucs playing to Josh Freeman's strengths

November, 28, 2012

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

When the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Denver Broncos play Sunday, itís pretty safe to assume weíll see a lot of downfield passing.

Itís what Josh Freeman and Peyton Manning do best.

They each have completed 22 passes thrown more than 20 yards downfield this season, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That ties them with Baltimoreís Joe Flacco for the league lead.

But Freeman is ahead of Manning and Flacco, and every other quarterback in the NFL, in another related category thatís very important. Freeman has 912 passing yards on throws of more than 20 yards. No other quarterback is even close. New Orleansí Drew Brees is second with 744 yards on such throws. Manning has 713 yards and Flacco has 710 yards.

Freeman is thriving in this area for several reasons. First off, heís got a big arm and the Bucs are taking advantage of it. Heís never going to be a guy who completes around 70 percent of his passes, like Brees. But thatís not Freemanís style.

From the day coach Greg Schiano and offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan arrived, they made it clear the offense was going to be designed to run the ball a lot and take shots down the field in the passing game. They signed receiver Vincent Jackson, who had a long history of making things happen down the field.

Itís all coming together because the Bucs are letting Freeman play to his strengths.

Holy Facepalm

Starter
ę #1 : November 29, 2012, 01:52:45 PM Ľ

Sweet

ďThere is going to be a Buccaneer way and theyíre going to be Buccaneer men.íí
ďThere are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, thatís going to determine our success.íí

youngone

Hall of Famer

ę #2 : November 29, 2012, 01:54:17 PM Ľ

Baller

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

ę #3 : November 29, 2012, 01:58:13 PM Ľ

Better resign that dude in the offseason.  If they wait too long he could say F you and become a free agent later on.  Lots of teams would like to have him.   I suppose they could tag him, but that would make the situation even worse.  On the bright side, he seems to like working with Sully, but what if Sully gets a HC opp later on?

He is from KC and might have a dream of saving that franchise.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

ę #4 : November 29, 2012, 02:38:20 PM Ľ

Please just keep Freeman and Sully together. Continuity is undervalued so much. These guys are getting on the same page, please please just keep them together as long as humanly possible.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

ę #5 : November 29, 2012, 07:47:00 PM Ľ

Please just keep Freeman and Sully together. Continuity is undervalued so much. These guys are getting on the same page, please please just keep them together as long as humanly possible.

I think we are good with that combo for at least a couple more seasons.  Then Sully might start getting HC attention.  Hopefully Free sticks around, the sooner they resign him the better.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

ę #6 : November 29, 2012, 10:14:33 PM Ľ

My only beef so far is Freeman seemingly avoiding running when he clearly has short yardage that can easily be had running. Josh is a very inconsistant passer in the short game; on 3rd down, if he's got a sure 1st by running it himself, that to me is what he should do. And Josh is a VERY talented runner...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

ę #7 : November 29, 2012, 10:22:08 PM Ľ

My only beef so far is Freeman seemingly avoiding running when he clearly has short yardage that can easily be had running. Josh is a very inconsistant passer in the short game; on 3rd down, if he's got a sure 1st by running it himself, that to me is what he should do. And Josh is a VERY talented runner...

The last few games, he seemed to be doing a bit more running.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Itís all coming together because the Bucs are letting #5 play to his strengths « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools