Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bowl Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
: December 02, 2012, 07:10:28 PM

It's rumored N. Illinois will kick Oklahoma out of the BCS, which I'm fine with.  Here are the projected BCS Bowls:

Orange:  Florida State v. N. Illinois
Fiesta:  Kansas State v. Oregon
Sugar:  Florida v. Louisville (pretty cool for Charlie Strong)
Rose:  Stanford v. Wisconsin

Championship:  Notre Dame v. Alabama

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 02, 2012, 09:12:30 PM

heard kent state might, didnt realize n illinois would as well.  orange bowl better hope they travel!  UF louisville would be interesting because of the strong connection...but oregon needs a better opponent imo.  too bad it wont happen.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 02, 2012, 11:09:54 PM

i agree with saban, its weird how the system works.  NIU gets a BCS game but Georgia and Oklahoma don't. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 03, 2012, 06:58:48 AM

herbstreit is fired up about NIU making it, and rightfully so.  good thing the system is going out the window next year.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 03, 2012, 08:56:03 AM

I don't know if I agree with it or not, but teams like NIU, Kent State, and such are at an inherent disadvantage because of the way the system is set up.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 03, 2012, 09:13:09 AM

I don't know if I agree with it or not, but teams like NIU, Kent State, and such are at an inherent disadvantage because of the way the system is set up.

are they really?  NIU's signature wins were kansas and kent state.  kent states signatures wins were rutgers and bowling green.  how is that a disadvantage?

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 03, 2012, 10:21:53 AM

are they really?  NIU's signature wins were kansas and kent state.  kent states signatures wins were rutgers and bowling green.  how is that a disadvantage?

Then how can you make this statement: "herbstreit is fired up about NIU making it, and rightfully so.  good thing the system is going out the window next year."  Florida State's only signature win is Clemson... who's only signature win is... TBD?  Louisville doesn't have any wins vs ranked opponents either.  Kent State and Northern Illinois have more combined wins against top 25 teams (2) than Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville (1) combined.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 03, 2012, 10:24:41 AM

rarely ranked to start season, they play in a mid-major conference so they are not going to have the opportunity to have as many "signature" wins

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 03, 2012, 11:20:20 AM

Then how can you make this statement: "herbstreit is fired up about NIU making it, and rightfully so.  good thing the system is going out the window next year."  Florida State's only signature win is Clemson... who's only signature win is... TBD?  Louisville doesn't have any wins vs ranked opponents either.  Kent State and Northern Illinois have more combined wins against top 25 teams (2) than Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville (1) combined.

Strength of Schedule of BCS Bowl teams:

Florida State - 69
Louisville - 89
Kent State - 116
Northern Illinois - 127

Strength of Schedule of non-BCS Bowl teams:

Oklahoma - 5
Georgia - 41

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 03, 2012, 11:54:34 AM

What was Boise State's strength of schedule the year they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl?   West Virginia's the year they beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl?

Trust me. I'd rather see an Orange Bowl matchup of Oklahoma vs. Florida State, but why play in the FBS (or whatever it's called) if your a team like Kent State or Northern Illinois and you have no shot at play in the big game (s)?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 03, 2012, 12:27:03 PM

louisville doesnt have much of a case either.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 03, 2012, 12:30:54 PM

What was Boise State's strength of schedule the year they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl?   West Virginia's the year they beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl?

i believe boise st was undefeated?  west virginia lost to a top5 team and beat 5 top 25 teams.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 03, 2012, 12:31:52 PM

rarely ranked to start season, they play in a mid-major conference so they are not going to have the opportunity to have as many "signature" wins

if you are a midmajor and want to be considered a big boy, you better find a way to schedule some top competition.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 03, 2012, 01:17:08 PM

if you are a midmajor and want to be considered a big boy, you better find a way to schedule some top competition.

I suppose they could petition for a federal mandate forcing top competition to play them every year.    Maybe UF could schedule them instead of the Ragin' Cajuns and Jacksonville State.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 03, 2012, 05:01:28 PM

I have no idea what those team's SOS were, but neither of those teams lost to a 4-8 bottom-feeder in the Big Ten.  Boise State was undefeated and WVU's lone-loss was to the #3 team in the country.  Both of those squads had much better resumes than NIU does.

Trust me. I'd rather see an Orange Bowl matchup of Oklahoma vs. Florida State, but why play in the FBS (or whatever it's called) if your a team like Kent State or Northern Illinois and you have no shot at play in the big game (s)?

I get the conundrum, but what incentive is it for teams who do actually play a worthwhile schedule?  Why not just schedule scrub after scrub so you can go undefeated?

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bowl Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools