Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where are the refs at post kneel-down play? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#120 : December 03, 2012, 04:39:07 PM

I don't deny it'd make the game more interesting, but it's not feasible that the rules committee would have the rules completely change based on what the score of the game is.

Well its not like the team would be just finding out about the rule change. Obviously every team would be aware of the time on the clock and would know what type of strategy to take. You change the rule in the offseason like they did with OT and other rule changes. I see no reason why they wouldnt do this other than make it more complicated than it needs to be. Its a simple change thats not very complicated and would make the game more exciting. People would want to stay until the very end rather than going to "beat the crowd". I see this as a no brainer but they would make it more complicated than it needs to be. Thus the rule would not change. 

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#121 : December 03, 2012, 04:40:21 PM

" They need to get rid of spiking the ball too, that's grounding and should result in loss of yardage."

Proper method is to throw it at the feet of the TE, an eligible receiver.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#122 : December 03, 2012, 04:41:21 PM

Automatic clock stoppage after a play that results in a loss of yards seems brilliant and simple to me. Is there some drawback I am not thinking of?
The only issue I can think of is if you have a lead in a close game and are on defense, you don't want the clock stopped if you tackle the back for a loss or cause a sack, you want that clock running so they have to hurry to the line while rattled.
They could say you have to at least attempt to gain yardage on EVERY play or it is "proof" that you have no interest in having the ball and it results in an automatic turnover at the spot of the foul.

They need to get rid of spiking the ball too, that's grounding and should result in loss of yardage. If you don't bother getting out of bounds to stop the clock it's your own fault.

Hard counts, if the D isn't allowed to try and fool the offense into jumping why should it be allowed the other way? Things should be played on an even field.

Cryin' for a flag should also draw a flag.

I agree . Spiking should be intentional grounding .

You also bring up a good point about the defense not wanting to stop the clock with a lead and being punished for making a good play.  Stopping the clock wouldn't work. Easier way is to make an intentional kneel down a "delay of game " penalty , because you are clearly not trying to advance the ball in a sportsmanlike way.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#123 : December 03, 2012, 05:38:58 PM

Watch that video I just posted.   A center can't block 3 guys jumping offsides directly ramming him before he snaps the ball.

then throw a flag for offsides.  really, its simple.  you also want to ban punt blocks because dekota watson ran into the cowboys punter earlier?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#124 : December 03, 2012, 05:45:15 PM

Hopefully next year the NFL will change the rule.

The rule needs to be changed for Schiano to understand what every other football coach already understands. When the QB goes down on one knee, the game is over. 

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#125 : December 03, 2012, 05:49:39 PM

The rule needs to be changed for Schiano to understand what every other football coach already understands. When the QB goes down on one knee, the game is over.

ever seen a fumble on the center-QB exchange?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Signed

Starter

#126 : December 03, 2012, 05:51:27 PM

Hopefully next year the NFL will change the rule.

Whoa, seriously?

Here I was thinking that when the game clock reads 0:00, the game is over.

Humor me, how would this suggested new rule read?

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#127 : December 03, 2012, 06:17:32 PM

Can't believe there are still people out there who think what Schiano is doing is wrong. Unbelievable. It's such a basic concept, yet so many people seem uncapable of comprehending it.

The game is not over until the clock hits double zeros. Why should a team be allowed to kneel a ball without the defense tyring for 3 plays to waste 2 minutes off the clock and win the game. That's absurd. A defense should come firing after them and try forcing a turnover to win the game (as long as the game is within 1 possession like every situation this year has been). I can't believe no one has done this before, honestly. It makes complete sense.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#128 : December 03, 2012, 06:21:46 PM

If the opposing team doesn't like it, they can run the ball with their RB or kneel down from the shotgun. It's not a surprise anymore. They know it's coming. There is absolutely no excuse for not being prepared or whining about it later. We don't care if you agree with it, we are playing till 00:00. Deal with it.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#129 : December 03, 2012, 06:24:55 PM

I am talking about a possible rule change in the offseason, to eliminate meaningless plays.

Maybe they should stop kicking extra points too. How bout the winning coach throw out a white flag signaling a 'virtual knee'?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Signed

Starter

#130 : December 03, 2012, 06:26:02 PM

If the opposing team doesn't like it, they can run the ball with their RB or kneel down from the shotgun. It's not a surprise anymore. They know it's coming. There is absolutely no excuse for not being prepared or whining about it later. We don't care if you agree with it, we are playing till 00:00. Deal with it.

I'll even accept a fake kneel to TD throw. Make it interesting, they are entertainers after all.

: December 03, 2012, 06:35:35 PM Signed

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#131 : December 03, 2012, 06:35:12 PM

Not sure why the Broncos felt the need to attack the Bucs players because of it either . Even if you disagree with the strategy , the players are just doing what thier coaches tell them to . It's legal and it's already been put on film , so it's no surprise. 

You no right to have a temper tantrum and start throwing punches like a 5 year old at guys who are just doing thier job. All should be fined.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#132 : December 03, 2012, 06:44:06 PM

I am talking about a possible rule change in the offseason, to eliminate meaningless plays.

Maybe they should stop kicking extra points too. How bout the winning coach throw out a white flag signaling a 'virtual knee'?

A play is not meaningless simply because one side decides it is. A play is never meaningless when the game is within one score , no matter how desperate that play may be .

If desperation defines a meaningless play :

Can the defense decide that a Hail Mary is meaningless. Should the offense not be allowed to throw it ?
What is the recieving team decides that an onside kick is meaningless ? Should the kicker be forced to kick deep thereby avoiding further unnecessary collisions.

It takes a total disconnect of logic to make the argument for this type of "rule".

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#133 : December 03, 2012, 06:53:44 PM

Unwinnable argument.

Call the play = "legal" jerk
Don't call it = lazy.

Really, it should not be changed. It's a good play. It shows the never-give -up attitude in the NFL. With that said, I don't feel like anyone should get mad when teams run up the score. It's simple, if you don't want them playing the V-form on you, score enough that it won't matter. If not, expect them to do anything they can to get the ball back. Too many huge games were won by one big play or huge foul up.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#134 : December 03, 2012, 07:20:26 PM

There actually has been a lot of talk about eliminating extra points.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where are the refs at post kneel-down play? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools