Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 82

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#405 : December 09, 2012, 07:24:18 PM

You don't have to bring anyone in this year.  Nobody is saying cut Freeman now.  Nobody.  They're saying don't commit to him through 2018.  And I'd rather sign journeymen guys for a few years at a time if necessary until we find a guy than commit to someone who isn't a good QB.
I rather not be the Cardinals.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#406 : December 09, 2012, 07:24:26 PM

Freeman had a bad game. The secondary has been bad all year.

Nobody is saying the secondary is good this year.  Or even mediocre.  They're awful.  But saying Freeman has had a good season is wrong.  He's had an ok season, and an awful game.

And as far as who...I don't know.  I don't know who is going to be available in 2014.  I don't know if we're going to have a top 5 pick if Aaron Murray or someone puts everything together and looks like a future stud.  But I do know that if for some reason you said that today you had to sign Freeman through 2018, or I had to let him walk, I'd let him walk.  Of course, that's not what's on the table, they have til next year.  And if he doesn't get any better, I let him walk after 2013 if he's looking for a long-term deal.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#407 : December 09, 2012, 07:25:07 PM

You don't have to bring anyone in this year.  Nobody is saying cut Freeman now.  Nobody.  They're saying don't commit to him through 2018.  And I'd rather sign journeymen guys for a few years at a time if necessary until we find a guy than commit to someone who isn't a good QB.
I rather not be the Cardinals.

The Cardinals are who I'm worrying about becoming if we invest heavily into a mediocre QB.  They invested heavily in Kevin Kolb, and look what happened.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#408 : December 09, 2012, 07:25:45 PM

Then the same question is posed to you TheAman.  Whom might that be?  Because if the right deal can be struck now - well you get a few years to create a competition at qb, and to improve the rest of the team - as you move foward looking at the qb position.  I am not one who has named Freeman a franchise qb, he is a journeyman.  Nothing wrong with keeping a journeyman qb at the right price.

Therein lies the big question. How long and at what price??

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#409 : December 09, 2012, 07:26:13 PM

To name a couple, Alex Smith and Matt Flynn will be available IIRC.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#410 : December 09, 2012, 07:26:21 PM

Then the same question is posed to you TheAman.  Whom might that be?  Because if the right deal can be struck now - well you get a few years to create a competition at qb, and to improve the rest of the team - as you move foward looking at the qb position.  I am not one who has named Freeman a franchise qb, he is a journeyman.  Nothing wrong with keeping a journeyman qb at the right price.
Not sure you're using the proper definition of journeyman.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#411 : December 09, 2012, 07:27:44 PM

Philadelphia is an incredibly average defense.  They're right in the middle of the league.  This isn't like Pittsburgh or San Fran coming in and Freeman laying an egg.  This was an AWFUL AWFUL HORRENDOUS TERRIBLE game by Freeman, and you need to realize that.  Even if you think Freeman is a good QB, that was a DISASTER game.

If you think this was that bad, then what do you consider Drew Brees' performance against the Falcons a few weeks ago where he threw 5 INT's?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#412 : December 09, 2012, 07:27:55 PM

Sure he had a rough day, no one is disputing that.   But he made a few nice throws too.

Of course, he had some nice throws. Out of his 14 completions, there had to be 2 or 3 nice ones in there somewhere. Its the other 31 throws that concern this Buc fan.

Well....my point is he did enough to win the game.  Sure he was off.  But there are others to blame that are more deserving.........

Gorrer
Leonard
Gaiter.....although he made a few plays.
Sheridan

Its very possible that neither of them will be on the team next yr, meanwhile you'd like to lock Freeman up for 5/6 more years of the craptastic play we saw today? Not me. Let him play out his deal....with some competition, and let the cards fall where they may.
Not that I agree - but just who do you have in mind to bring in, knowing the bucs won't have a top 5 pick? 

Where is it written that it has to be a top 5 pick?
I didn't say it had to be a top 5 pick - just reminding you the bucs will likely have a mid first round pick.  So, how much longer are you going to duck answering the question.  I'll help - if you want to draft a QB this year - pray early and often.  TheAman offered a FA qb - and I ask whom? 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#413 : December 09, 2012, 07:29:34 PM

Philadelphia is an incredibly average defense.  They're right in the middle of the league.  This isn't like Pittsburgh or San Fran coming in and Freeman laying an egg.  This was an AWFUL AWFUL HORRENDOUS TERRIBLE game by Freeman, and you need to realize that.  Even if you think Freeman is a good QB, that was a DISASTER game.

If you think this was that bad, then what do you consider Drew Brees' performance against the Falcons a few weeks ago where he threw 5 INT's?

Absolutely the nut low?  Just because there have been worse, doesn't make this one any better.  That's like saying that Mark Sanchez is an adequate QB because he's better than John Skelton.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#414 : December 09, 2012, 07:29:55 PM

The terms can be changed - the implication is unchanged.  While I don't spend the time many others do watching to see who is coming out in a draft - I have read some of the evaluations of positions - and QB isn't a bumper crop. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#415 : December 09, 2012, 07:31:40 PM

Sure he had a rough day, no one is disputing that.   But he made a few nice throws too.

Of course, he had some nice throws. Out of his 14 completions, there had to be 2 or 3 nice ones in there somewhere. Its the other 31 throws that concern this Buc fan.

Well....my point is he did enough to win the game.  Sure he was off.  But there are others to blame that are more deserving.........

Gorrer
Leonard
Gaiter.....although he made a few plays.
Sheridan

Its very possible that neither of them will be on the team next yr, meanwhile you'd like to lock Freeman up for 5/6 more years of the craptastic play we saw today? Not me. Let him play out his deal....with some competition, and let the cards fall where they may.
Not that I agree - but just who do you have in mind to bring in, knowing the bucs won't have a top 5 pick? 

Where is it written that it has to be a top 5 pick?
I didn't say it had to be a top 5 pick - just reminding you the bucs will likely have a mid first round pick.  So, how much longer are you going to duck answering the question.  I'll help - if you want to draft a QB this year - pray early and often.  TheAman offered a FA qb - and I ask whom?

I don't know who will be available.  I'd take a Shaun Hill or Jason Campbell type for a year.  I could say that Jay Cutler and Tony Romo will be free agents in 2014, but they'll want long term deals, and that's the opposite of what I'm talking about.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#416 : December 09, 2012, 07:32:03 PM

Therein lies the big question. How long and at what price??
Not franchise money - and the length - who cares as the bucs would continue to shop for improvement.  Nice to have someone that rates in the 15-25 range of NFL qbs as your starter, even better as your back up.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#417 : December 09, 2012, 07:32:10 PM

Absolutely the nut low?  Just because there have been worse, doesn't make this one any better.  That's like saying that Mark Sanchez is an adequate QB because he's better than John Skelton.

Freeman had a bad 1st half, but played good in the 2nd half. He had 2 TD's and didn't turnover the ball. That's far from an awful game.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#418 : December 09, 2012, 07:32:39 PM

The terms can be changed - the implication is unchanged.  While I don't spend the time many others do watching to see who is coming out in a draft - I have read some of the evaluations of positions - and QB isn't a bumper crop.

Actually, the 2014 draft has the potential to be very good for QBs.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#419 : December 09, 2012, 07:33:21 PM

I believe the point is players who are universally considered franchise QB's have their boneheaded plays/games, too.

Referencing Sanchez is just stupid because he doesn't have near the good games Brees and Freeman do. He plays like Freeman did today every game.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 82
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs sign QB Josh Freeman to long-term extension now? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools