Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Unions - Best Foot Forward . . .Err . . Best Fist Forward « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 12, 2012, 06:12:15 PM

Here's the scheme.

First, non-dues paying employees receive the same pay and benefits as the dues paying union members......There's the carrot.

But, then later on and after the unions have been emasculated...out comes the stick.

Exactly. Union membership is voluntary. But whether you are in the union or not, as an employee of a company you still get the benefit of union representation, because you get any raises or benefits that the union negotiates. So is it fair that an employee should get the benefit of union representation without having to pay for it, and why would a person choose to pay when they get the benefits anyway?

Once enough people opt not to pay, the union goes bye bye and so does collective bargaining, good wages, good benefits, etc. Management wins, the workers lose.

So why can't Unions just negotiate for their members?

because all those non-union employees would see the success of the union employees and want to join the union . .  . oh . . .wait . . . uh yeah . . . NEVERMIND

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 12, 2012, 07:00:38 PM

So now you're going to act like a pissy little girl because you made a fool out of yourself?

I stand by what I wrote and if you could have proved me wrong on my observation then you would have

and If you don't want the "pissy little girl" response then get your facts straight before you start assigning opinions to me that you have no idea of.....

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 12, 2012, 07:03:43 PM

lol  . .oops sorry I meant lol

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

spartan

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 12, 2012, 07:34:10 PM

The NFLPA isn't a Union!!

Yeah it is

Theoretically you're right, but really? A bunch of lawyers representing a bunch of rich athletes? Not exactly all for the working man is it?

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#19 : December 12, 2012, 08:14:18 PM

If you're not a dues paying member, you don't get to vote on issues like how much will be deducted from your check for the pension fund.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 12, 2012, 08:17:58 PM

In my case, I also do not get any union representation if I feel I have a grievance.  I'm on my own.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 12, 2012, 08:40:49 PM

Yes, the union won't represent you if you don't pay dues. They will, however, continue to deduct your contribution to the pension, and health and welfare, from your check.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 12, 2012, 09:36:06 PM

Yes, the union won't represent you if you don't pay dues. They will, however, continue to deduct your contribution to the pension, and health and welfare, from your check.

But they will represent you and get your job back when you get drunk and stoned at lunch time. Where is the credibility in that?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 12, 2012, 10:20:40 PM

But they will represent you and get your job back when you get drunk and stoned at lunch time. Where is the credibility in that?
And how wrong it that arbitrator's decision - damn.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 12, 2012, 10:47:37 PM

Heck I've secured countless amount of deals imbibing during lunch.

Is that frowned upon?

Guess it just depends on how and if it effects ones performance.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 13, 2012, 08:52:02 AM

Heck I've secured countless amount of deals imbibing during lunch.

Is that frowned upon?

Guess it just depends on how and if it effects ones performance.

Securing a deal and making a car are a bit different don't you think. I am thinking health and safety might have something to say about putting a wheel on for example while stoned. But I guess health and safety doesn't count for to much when you are talking about the customer instead of the Union worker!

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 13, 2012, 08:57:10 AM

"Just cause" and "exclusive negotiation rights" are the backbone of any union contract, and they will go overboard on protecting those two areas.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 14, 2012, 02:28:50 AM

Non union members also pay into the union's pension funds and health and welfare funds. Unions make many times more off of these contributions than they do off of dues.

So f-ing what? You perfer that I use the word "contributions" instead of "dues", then? Fine. How in the smelly hell does that change the underlying point that non-union members still benefit from unions in their workplace because they get any wage or benefit increases that the union negotiates?

Same two useful idiots with no clue what they're talking about.

How about you stay on topic instead of calling people out with irrelevant nonsense before you start insulting people, schmuck.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 14, 2012, 02:31:16 AM

In my case, I also do not get any union representation if I feel I have a grievance.  I'm on my own.

And you wouldn't be if there were no union?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 14, 2012, 02:36:52 AM

If you're not a dues paying member, you don't get to vote on issues like how much will be deducted from your check for the pension fund.

True, but you can take solice in that 2% raise and the extra week worth of vacation days they got for you. I suppose the argument is that you should get that for free? Kinda like...I don't know...a moocher?

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Unions - Best Foot Forward . . .Err . . Best Fist Forward « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools