Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ESPN fires Rob Parker « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

« #15 : December 14, 2012, 02:13:15 AM »

I hear many Irish say that they are proud of their heritage. I hear Italian, German, etc... Are you saying the same about them?

I guess if you say you are proud to be Somalian or proud to be Ghanaian or proud to be Nigerian or proud to be Italian, that does make more sense than simply saying you are proud to be a certain skin color.   But that's a different thing altogether from race.

I would really like to know how all of that is different from race? So they all aren't different races? wow

OK well let's see. How about African American? Is that better? Nah, I prefer referring to myself as a Black man, that's my preference, I have been completely OK with it for 52 years now.

You're a White guy ( I guess) and I'm a Black guy. We are both here communicating without tearing each other down. That's what's real and it's all good my friend.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

« #16 : December 14, 2012, 02:33:15 AM »

I am a Black man and will always be proud of that fact. I also love my heritage and realize that my forefathers took a lot so that I can have the rights that I have today. Therefore education is very close to my heart and helping the kids coming up today. That being said:

I will be the first to say that this Parker is a complete idiot. Who cares what color his girlfriend is or anything about his braids? It's just stupid and how does this creep still have a job? Of course, he is entitled to his opinion. I also believe that Parker is the one with the identity problem deep down.

I have encountered people like him and there's a word for them...Troublemakers! You can spot them a mile away, Period.

Good post Tim2.

I will have to reserve comment until I figure out if I am  a brother......or cornball brother.          SMH

Anyone know where the term "cornball" was from? Never heard it used before.

Also, I'm glad you guys have pride, there is no reason not to. However, being "white" myself, I don't go running around saying I'm proud of my race. Not all things I'm proud of, but proud I am nonetheless. I don't however, parade it around in peoples faces.

Seems awfully redundant in light of every race being a slave to another at one point in time in history. Just seems a lot like fingerpointing, tooting horns, or generally standing on a soapbox. All in all, It seems silly to even bring it up. No matter who you are, you should be proud of yourself (unless you happen to be O.J.  ::)).

Why do we not want to talk about race? Like we have to hide it in a closet or something. I have been around, played sports, and worked with many, many whites in my day. We have talked about everything openly, with no disrespect including family, culture, and things I won't mention.

Now, just because you don't say that you are proud doesn't mean that anyone else shouldn't. And by no means am I parading in anyone's face, fingerpointing, or tooting horns. Tooting horns would means that I think that I am better than anyone else. Finger pointing means that I want to blame someone for something. Soapbox could be included with tooting horns.

That is not me or my makeup as a human being. I have too many things going on in my life. I can't get hung up on what context something is taken out of or get mad because someone talked about this, or said that. That is all menial stuff to me, as I have bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

I have implied none of the things that you say, in my statements here tonight. You can read them again and I do however respect your opinions, everyone has them. That's what makes this world go around.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #17 : December 14, 2012, 03:38:48 AM »

I hear many Irish say that they are proud of their heritage. I hear Italian, German, etc... Are you saying the same about them?

Im not touching this race game thats come up with a 10 foot poll, but I will say Im German and proud as **CENSORED** for it. No matter how much I love being in Canada, theres NOTHING that will ever convince me to give up my German citizenship, and to the same extent, my heritage. Just sayin. As far as Im concerned, if people dont like it they can suck on a big one.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #18 : December 14, 2012, 04:03:03 AM »

I am a Black man and will always be proud of that fact. I also love my heritage and realize that my forefathers took a lot so that I can have the rights that I have today. Therefore education is very close to my heart and helping the kids coming up today. That being said:

I will be the first to say that this Parker is a complete idiot. Who cares what color his girlfriend is or anything about his braids? It's just stupid and how does this creep still have a job? Of course, he is entitled to his opinion. I also believe that Parker is the one with the identity problem deep down.

I have encountered people like him and there's a word for them...Troublemakers! You can spot them a mile away, Period.

Good post Tim2.

I will have to reserve comment until I figure out if I am  a brother......or cornball brother.          SMH

Anyone know where the term "cornball" was from? Never heard it used before.

Also, I'm glad you guys have pride, there is no reason not to. However, being "white" myself, I don't go running around saying I'm proud of my race. Not all things I'm proud of, but proud I am nonetheless. I don't however, parade it around in peoples faces.

Seems awfully redundant in light of every race being a slave to another at one point in time in history. Just seems a lot like fingerpointing, tooting horns, or generally standing on a soapbox. All in all, It seems silly to even bring it up. No matter who you are, you should be proud of yourself (unless you happen to be O.J.  ::)).

Why do we not want to talk about race? Like we have to hide it in a closet or something. I have been around, played sports, and worked with many, many whites in my day. We have talked about everything openly, with no disrespect including family, culture, and things I won't mention.

Now, just because you don't say that you are proud doesn't mean that anyone else shouldn't. And by no means am I parading in anyone's face, fingerpointing, or tooting horns. Tooting horns would means that I think that I am better than anyone else. Finger pointing means that I want to blame someone for something. Soapbox could be included with tooting horns.

That is not me or my makeup as a human being. I have too many things going on in my life. I can't get hung up on what context something is taken out of or get mad because someone talked about this, or said that. That is all menial stuff to me, as I have bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

I have implied none of the things that you say, in my statements here tonight. You can read them again and I do however respect your opinions, everyone has them. That's what makes this world go around.

I actually meant no disrespect, so I hope you didn't arrive at that. Mostly just an overall observation from my "white" viewpoint.

I can honestly say that I've had/have such good friends that racial lines can be crossed (such as racial slurs), and it is of no consequence. Most of the time we laugh about it and cherish our differences in a brotherly love type of fashion. They know damn well (some of them are solders) that I would take a bullet for them if I had to.

Case in point. We have a Hawaiian friend we hang out with weekly that is a police officer here in town. He says his friends (other cops) place in "fake" calls to the operator for a Spanish speaking interprater. He would get mad and tell the operator that "he wasn't Spanish!" Obviously annoying. Seems mean from the outside looking in, but to them it was their own togetherness.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #19 : December 14, 2012, 06:45:46 AM »

Michael Jordan went through a similar situation.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #20 : December 14, 2012, 07:46:34 AM »

If a person wants national attention all they have to do is say something stupid. Too bad audiences don't give the same attention to smart and knowledgible people.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #21 : December 14, 2012, 07:57:16 AM »

If a person wants national attention all they have to do is say something stupid. Too bad audiences don't give the same attention to smart and knowledgible people.

Boid does that everyday. Where is his national attention ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

ghost

Second String

« #22 : December 14, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »

I guess if you say you are proud to be Somalian or proud to be Ghanaian or proud to be Nigerian or proud to be Italian, that does make more sense than simply saying you are proud to be a certain skin color.   But that's a different thing altogether from race.

I would really like to know how all of that is different from race? So they all aren't different races? wow

OK well let's see. How about African American? Is that better? Nah, I prefer referring to myself as a Black man, that's my preference, I have been completely OK with it for 52 years now.

You're a White guy ( I guess) and I'm a Black guy. We are both here communicating without tearing each other down. That's what's real and it's all good my friend.

You do know there is a difference between race and ethnicity, right?

I thought you were all about the education..

El Diablo

Starter

« #23 : December 14, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »

@espnmikes
Mike Soltys
Have been asked for comment on Rob Parker comments: The comments were inappropriate and we are evaluating our next steps.

I am guessing this is his boss. They should just go ahead and fire him for this one. What an idiot he is! I actually never minded Rob Parker before this but it's hard to come back from this after the "he's not down with the cause" comment. What does that even mean?

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

« #24 : December 14, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »

Robert Parker is a complete idiot. I guess for us to be "down with the cause" Or to be considered black we have to all grow up in the hood or something dress alike wear baggy pants and only marry black women and  vote democrat. Im black and have a white fiance and didn't grow up in a rough neighborhood. I guess to him im less black now. Well F rob parker. How the hell does this dummy know who RG3 has voted for? Better yet why does he care? I have had many friends from many different places some white some black. None of them come the same tho. Isn't this the same idiot who said something disrespectful to rod marinelli when he was head coach about his daughter or Joe barry a while back? He can't keep his foot out of his mouth.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #25 : December 14, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »

Wow this is a joke. I think RG3 is gonna be one of the all time greats. He's got the attitude and the talent. He just needs to stay healthy.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #26 : December 14, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »

Did i type that?

-------------------------------------------------------

Theoldbuc

Starter

« #27 : December 14, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »

You do know there is a difference between race and ethnicity, right?

I thought you were all about the education..

Ghost, what you don't understand is that as a people black Americans are their own ethnicity. There is something different about those born in slavery and their descendants that is not understandable. We are not African and we were rejected and placed in subjection as less than human for centuries here. That forged a bond and an ETHNIC identity that is like being Irish or German or any other ethnic group.

I am a black man born in America. I have African friends who don't view me as an African. After all, I have never been to Africa, my father has never been to Africa, nor has my grandfather ever been to Africa.  See how that works? Add to that the hostility of slavery, Jim Crow and standard racism and you my understand how a unique ethnic identity would be formed.  There's a little education for you.

Now as for Parker, he is a complete idiot!  He obviously believes that if you date a white person or God forbid, vote Republican, you can't relate to our ethnic history. Wonder what he thinks of our QB?

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #28 : December 14, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

I am a Black man and will always be proud of that fact.

This is a weird statement in and of itself.    I've never once in my life said "I'm a white man and will always be proud of that fact."     We are all whatever color we were born with.   There's no need to be "proud" or "embarrassed" by whatever race you are.    It just is.    Everyone should be proud to be their own individual person, but the color of their skin or their race should not be the focus of why they are proud.

Agreed, it would be fine to be proud of your culture, but something as broad and meaningless as skin color is just stupid, and borderline racist.

A white person living in the south would have absolutely nothing in common with an Eastern European, or middle easterner who has fair skin. Why would you be proud of having the same skin color as each other?

A black person living in the US has absolutely nothing in common with someone in Somalia, or a very dark person from India/Sri Lanka. Why would you be proud of something as meaningless as skin color?

If you're proud to be a part of American southern culture, then that's great. If you're proud about being in the culture of the majority of American black slave descendants, then that's great too.

It's just ridiculous to be proud of your skin color.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #29 : December 14, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »

I am a black man born in America. I have African friends who don't view me as an African. After all, I have never been to Africa, my father has never been to Africa, nor has my grandfather ever been to Africa.  See how that works? Add to that the hostility of slavery, Jim Crow and standard racism and you my understand how a unique ethnic identity would be formed.  There's a little education for you.

I have to admit I have more black friends who were literally born in Africa than I do black friends who were born in the US.    From my experience, I find blacks in the US to have a chip on their shoulder in many cases that blacks in Africa do not have.    Even though I am white, I never feel any racist hatred at all towards me when I am in Africa.   I can't say that in the US.   And I find it interesting that the black friends I do have who were originally from Africa tell me they do not feel comfortable or accepted when they are in the US and are around blacks born in the USA - because they feel they are treated not as part of the American black "brotherhood".    They normally end up hanging out with white people more than with black people.    Then again, these blacks from Africa are normally very well educated, well spoken, and from rich families or they would never be able to come to the US in the first place, so that may have a lot to do with it.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ESPN fires Rob Parker « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools