Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ESPN fires Rob Parker « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #75 : December 15, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »

So if a black man wears cowboy boots, he's not really black? ..Am I missing something here?

It depends on where he's wearing them. If he's wearing them at an inner city club, then no. If he's wearing them at a rural good ole' boys bar, then yeah, I'd say he'd be black then.

I kid. Well, sorta...

What if he is at an inner city Hispanic club...then it would be very appropriate. Would also help to pick up a few "cochinas".

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #76 : December 15, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »

I am a Black man and will always be proud of that fact.

This is a weird statement in and of itself.    I've never once in my life said "I'm a white man and will always be proud of that fact."     We are all whatever color we were born with.   There's no need to be "proud" or "embarrassed" by whatever race you are.    It just is.    Everyone should be proud to be their own individual person, but the color of their skin or their race should not be the focus of why they are proud.
Word

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

« #77 : December 15, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »

TimBuc2:  You are welcome.  Some really great comments on here for a change....along with the "usual".  I should have added "proud Hippie".  Peace out.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #78 : December 15, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »

Skip, the fundamental issue for me is yes, there is prejudice in this world and it is unfortunate. To what degree, who really knows. I have had the benefit of living in Brazil, Mexico, working many years there as well as Canada and Europe. Unfortunalety, prejudice or feeling superior is a human condition for some. In order to feel better about themselves, they look down on others but at the end of the day, IMHO and personal experience it's a very small number, as I believe in the goodness of mankind. I am not one who looks at life through rose colored glasses but my opinion is based on many years of experience. Here's a quick story. MLK was assisanated April 15, 1968. In  June, 3 months later, 15 basketball players, including myself, went to college, were all from inner city, ethnic neighborhoods, all of us economically disadvantaged and would fight at the drop of a hat. Turbulent times to be sure. We all learnd to play ball together, live together and stayed together fin the same dorm, same floor, as roomates for all 4 years. Two of the guys went on to successful NBA careers, each playing 13 years. We all got married, had families and successful careers. Fast forward to today, we all talk on the phone every week, send tons of emails and see each other once a year in Las Vegas and back at school. Each email and each phone call ends with the same  words, I love ya and these guys are the most important part of my life, after my family. This has formed the basis for my adult life and foundation for my family. As MLK said, we judge people by the content of their character and not thee color of their skin. I fell sorry for those that have not had the pleasure of such an experience and have had prejudice, bigotry and hate in their lives. Tough existence.

Love that story... the important aspect of it is that because you guys lived with eachother, you got to learn about eachother. Many don't get to experience that....thus their ignorance.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #79 : December 15, 2012, 06:48:29 PM »

And their loss. Go Bucs

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #80 : December 15, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »

I am an Irish Catholic from Philly, moved here in 92. Bucs fan since. Married abeautiful African American lady in 1975. Have 5 gown/married children with 21 grandchildren of all ages and colors. As a family, we have always given respect and gotten respect. All of our friends tend to be of various ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds. As a family, we are all comfortable in our skin, no mattter what shade and don't really think about color. We are all aware of issues on both sides but as a general statement, it has been my and our experience that most people don't give a rats ass about color as they are too busy trying to make a living and raise a decent family. Most people are good people and the small percentage that make asinine comments tend to get picked up by the media and they run with it to sell advertising. Is there still prejudice in America, you bet. Is is as big as we are led to believe, not even close. So like a fender bender car accident, nothing to see, move along and enjoy your family in light of the murders in Connecticut. God bless those beautiful innocent children and fallen teachers, as well as their devastated family & friends. My prayers go out to them all.

Love it....and you're right, most don't give a sh*t about ones skin color. Diversity broadens horizons. Unfortunately, many still do.... on both sides, as evidenced in this thread. Its unfortunate.

It took the average person 10 seconds to figure out that guy is a racist dumbass.
Still better to hear things in total context.......no?

What a concept!!

Skip, the fundamental issue for me is yes, there is prejudice in this world and it is unfortunate. To what degree, who really knows. I have had the benefit of living in Brazil, Mexico, working many years there as well as Canada and Europe. Unfortunalety, prejudice or feeling superior is a human condition for some. In order to feel better about themselves, they look down on others but at the end of the day, IMHO and personal experience it's a very small number, as I believe in the goodness of mankind. I am not one who looks at life through rose colored glasses but my opinion is based on many years of experience. Here's a quick story. MLK was assisanated April 15, 1968. In  June, 3 months later, 15 basketball players, including myself, went to college, were all from inner city, ethnic neighborhoods, all of us economically disadvantaged and would fight at the drop of a hat. Turbulent times to be sure. We all learnd to play ball together, live together and stayed together fin the same dorm, same floor, as roomates for all 4 years. Two of the guys went on to successful NBA careers, each playing 13 years. We all got married, had families and successful careers. Fast forward to today, we all talk on the phone every week, send tons of emails and see each other once a year in Las Vegas and back at school. Each email and each phone call ends with the same  words, I love ya and these guys are the most important part of my life, after my family. This has formed the basis for my adult life and foundation for my family. As MLK said, we judge people by the content of their character and not thee color of their skin. I fell sorry for those that have not had the pleasure of such an experience and have had prejudice, bigotry and hate in their lives. Tough existence.

Can you name names?   Just curious.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #81 : December 15, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »

Norm Van Lier/Chicago Bulls. Played with Jerry Sloan, Chet Walker, Tom Borweinkle and Bob Love. NBA All Star and ended up being an announcer for thee Bulls during the Jordan years
Kevin Porter/Washigton Bullets. Played with Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Phil Chenier & Kevin Loughery. NBA All Star and held the NBA Assist record for many years
Both dear friends. Van Lier passed away 3 years ago in his sleep. KP is still kicking and lives in Chicago. He went to the same high school as Maurice Cheeks.. DuSable High
« : December 15, 2012, 09:24:57 PM Rusty »

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #82 : December 15, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »

Norm Van Lier/Chicago Bulls. Played with Jerry Sloan, Chet Walker, Tom Borweinkle and Bob Love. NBA All Star and ended up being an announcer for thee Bulls during the Jordan years
Kevin Porter/Washigton Bullets. Played with Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Phil Chenier & Kevin Loughery. NBA All Star and held the NBA Assist record for many years
Both dear friends. Van Lier passed away 3 years ago in his sleep. KP is still kicking and lives in Chicago. He went to the same high school as Maurice Cheeks.. DuSable High

Awesome.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #83 : December 15, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

Van Lier!  Holy Crap! 

That is awesome.  Much respect to that generation of ballers, cool story...

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #84 : December 16, 2012, 08:09:21 AM »

Van Lier!  Holy Crap! 

That is awesome.  Much respect to that generation of ballers, cool story...
Boid, I can assure you, those two guys were ballers. Playing against those guys every day was a great experience. They were tough as nails. They could give it and take it. Van Lier would fight anyone and I have a lot of funny stories and memories. It really hurt when he passed.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #85 : December 20, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »

Dude got off easy IMO.   Should of been canned.

ESPN suspends Rob Parker

December 20, 2012, 3:28 PM ET
 ESPN.com

ESPN has suspended commentator Rob Parker for 30 days for comments he made about Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III during a Dec. 13 episode of "First Take."

The suspension comes one day after Parker issued an apology on his Twitter account. On the show, he was discussing Griffin's answer to a question about Griffin's role as an African-American quarterback, and Parker questioned Griffin's "blackness," citing that the player has a white fiancée and is rumored to be Republican.

Among his comments, Parker, who is black, said: "Is he a brother or a cornball brother?"

In his apology, Parker said he reached out to Griffin's agent with the hope of apologizing to Griffin directly.

"I blew it and I'm sincerely sorry," Parker posted on Twitter. "I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care."

ESPN issued a statement Thursday announcing the suspension.

"Our review of the preparation for the show and the re-air has established that mistakes both in judgment and communication were made," said Marcia Keegan, vice president of production for ESPN who oversees "First Take." "As a direct result, clearly inappropriate content was aired and then re-aired without editing. Both were errors on our part. To address this, we have enhanced the editorial oversight of the show and have taken appropriate disciplinary measures with the personnel responsible for these failures.

"We will continue to discuss important issues in sports on 'First Take,' including race. Debate is an integral part of sports and we will continue to engage in it on 'First Take.' However, we believe what we have learned here and the steps we have taken will help us do all that better."

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #86 : December 21, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »

ESPN and its producers are more at fault than Parker.

Parker is the same guy, who before being hired by ESPN; got fired from the Detroit News for asking Rod Marinelli if he thought "his daughter should have married a better defensive coordinator".

They played the taping of First Take twice after he made the comments, and then on "The Best of First Take".. So yes Parker is a moron, but he has proven that is what he is and why ESPN decided to let that guy speak on their channel is almost as mind blowing than ESPN replaying the ignorant comments 3 times.
« : December 21, 2012, 12:30:40 AM tripblood »

This guy...

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #87 : December 21, 2012, 12:31:15 AM »

Cancel First Take -- The End

This guy...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #88 : December 21, 2012, 01:40:05 AM »

I am with you man.   30 day suspension?  That is a frekin joke.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #89 : December 21, 2012, 06:19:24 AM »

I am with you man.   30 day suspension?  That is a frekin joke.

Personally that shows raises my blood pressure with its race "dicssions" and barber-shop quality sports conversation. Tebow, Lin.. STFU!

Hell, that NFL AM show manages to be better and everyone from that show is a ripoff of an ESPN analyst.

This guy...
  Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ESPN fires Rob Parker « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools