Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon QB N.C. State « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 45

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#465 : April 30, 2013, 01:13:41 PM

Really, 32 pages on a back-up, 3rd round QB. WOW.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#466 : April 30, 2013, 01:59:36 PM

It's April, what else is there to do?  I've been listening to baseball more.  I haven't really followed the whole football off season since the beginning of March when Spring Training really got going.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#467 : April 30, 2013, 03:38:06 PM

Don't worry he'll be starting someday.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#468 : April 30, 2013, 03:52:04 PM

Now when Freeman has a few bad games I can scream at the TV, "play Glennon!"

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#469 : April 30, 2013, 03:56:46 PM

Johnthan Jones actually has a chance at starting and will likely become the starter. Spence and Gholston will probably see quite a few snaps.

But alas. The Red Board and an extremely raw back up QB.

Sig change requested by \"threadkiller\". I delivered with the most disturbing thing I came across on the college boards x)

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#470 : April 30, 2013, 04:00:23 PM

I got in touch with some of my North Carolina State homies. Glennon seems like a solid young man that played behind a junior varsity type of offensive line with some questionable receivers and terrible coaching. However I was led to believe those folks don't believe he will be an NFL long term starting Quarterback. If Freeman isn't it we will need to draft a QB next season.

A lot of Bucs fans are delusional if they think this kids can come in and be the #2 QB.  He simply doesn't have the chops right now to do and is best for him to sit and learn as a clip board holder till next season where he has a year under this system at least.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#471 : April 30, 2013, 04:12:42 PM

alldaway, what proof do you have that he doesn't have the ability to be the #2 guy? I'm not arguing or fighting, but how do you know he doesn't have the ability? Is it film you've watched, or clippings that you've read?
Until practice snaps start coming, he has the playbook to start digesting, and in all honesty, we don't know if he's the next Tom Brady (elite), Ryan Leaf (bust), or Trent Dilfer(avg at best).  It's up to him along with guidance from the coaching staff to see how far he can go. Whether that pushes Freeman to be the best he can be, or takes the starting spot away from Freeman is yet to be seen.
All I hope for is that the best situation happens and we have a winning qb under center guiding the Bucs to the first in awhile, but not the last, playoff run.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#472 : April 30, 2013, 04:19:49 PM

He hasn't been in the system for a year and he doesn't have experience at the NFL level.  Even Gru had to tone down his offense once Grads was the starting QB.  It is as if some of the Bucs fans were born yesterday and just started following football or something.   You have to have borderline dementia to believe a rookie project like Glennon can come in and be a #2.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#473 : April 30, 2013, 04:31:43 PM

He hasn't been in the system for a year and he doesn't have experience at the NFL level.  Even Gru had to tone down his offense once Grads was the starting QB.  It is as if some of the Bucs fans were born yesterday and just started following football or something.   You have to have borderline dementia to believe a rookie project like Glennon can come in and be a #2.
Gotcha, so I'm guessing it's more based on him being a 3rd round selection (that may have been available later) implies project. That's fair. I hope I understand your reasoning correctly.
I'm hoping more of his "issues" that caused him to be a 3rd round guy were linked to bad supporting cast at NC State, but I think I understand your stance now.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#474 : April 30, 2013, 04:33:38 PM

Right?

Its not like having Dan in the game and being able to run the offense the exact same way as Freeman!

White Tiger

Starter
#475 : April 30, 2013, 06:09:49 PM

Gotcha, so I'm guessing it's more based on him being a 3rd round selection (that may have been available later) implies project. That's fair. I hope I understand your reasoning correctly.
I'm hoping more of his "issues" that caused him to be a 3rd round guy were linked to bad supporting cast at NC State, but I think I understand your stance now.

I think that is exactly what's going on, it's important to remember, Freeman came from almost the exact same environment. Freeman's wonderlic was on the higher end for QB's and in training camp & preseason he learned one playbook, but just before the '09 regular seasom began, he got a new coordinator and new  offense. He didn't play till the 4th month of the season, and admittedly - Greg Olson used a dumbed down version of his playbook.  In 2010, his second in the offense and with the same coordinator he did much better - but regressed in 2011 - sophomore slump + a change in offensive line philosophies, and poor decision making. In 2012 he had his 3rd coordinator & another offensive system, even though he set records and led the team to a top 10 ranking in passing and total offense, hevstruggled late in the season when he threw those 8 Int's in two games.

Despite Glennon's talent and intelligence, the play book will be light years ahead of what he's used to, and the defensive schemes & the speed of the defensive players will be nothing like he has been accustomed.

Anything is possible - but it's a lot to expect from a rookie QB - even a talented rookie QB. It's also a fact that over the last 5 years only one (14%) QB's selected in either the 3rd or 4th round started (Russell Wilson) and only one (14%) other could potentially compete for either a back-up/starting job (Nick Foles vs Micael Vick). So, history isn't on his side.

Doesn't mean he won't - but he'll need a whole lot more than just an NFL-ready arm - and we're not in an emergency situation. Unless an emergency happens (which could be a Freeman collapse/injury) he needs to bulk-up, because the defensive linemen & linebackers are much faster than HIM...even though some out-weigh him by 100lbs. The corner backs he sees move like lightning compared to what hes used to ( but he'll get a chance to work against the best/one of the fastest every week so no doubt he will get some great practical experience just from practice), and the defensive coordinators he will see just in our division are masters ar dealing with Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton!

Because he's a Buc, and the possible future of our franchise - I want him to do well - and if it all possible to give him at least one season to get up to speed mentally & physically. I think he's a high character, intelligent young man that's highly motivated. If he's given a realistic developmental schedule, he should have the best opportunity to be a successful NFL QB.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#476 : May 01, 2013, 08:30:46 AM

Thanks White Tiger, I'm hoping Glennon can "buc"k the trend :) --only because I'm stuck on Freeman's up and down streaks, that I can't fully, in my mind, trust that Freeman will become that qb we've been searching for.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#477 : May 01, 2013, 03:06:30 PM

As bad as Tebow with the Jets. If he holds a presser to talk about how hard he's going to try and how great of a teammate he is going to be, i'll call him and cut him personally.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

gone

Hall of Famer
#478 : May 01, 2013, 06:36:14 PM

I got in touch with some of my North Carolina State homies. Glennon seems like a solid young man that played behind a junior varsity type of offensive line with some questionable receivers and terrible coaching. However I was led to believe those folks don't believe he will be an NFL long term starting Quarterback. If Freeman isn't it we will need to draft a QB next season.

A lot of Bucs fans are delusional if they think this kids can come in and be the #2 QB.  He simply doesn't have the chops right now to do and is best for him to sit and learn as a clip board holder till next season where he has a year under this system at least.

Freeman was a "project" QB who was drafted ahead of his level because of the perceived lack of talent after the top in his QB class and even earlier than he would have gone even given that because of the Morris connection.  He wasn't supposed to play at all his first year.   Yet somehow he managed. 

You're the one who is delusional if you think he isn't going to waltz into the QB2.  Dan is not good enough to justify playing him in place of a guy you are developing for the long haul.  And if you pay attention around the league, teams play QBs a lot earlier than they did in the past.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#479 : May 01, 2013, 07:10:19 PM

I agree caradoc.

Orlovsky is horrible.

Steaming pile of garbage.

Glennon will beat him out in camp.
Page: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 45
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon QB N.C. State « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools