Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon QB N.C. State « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45

White Tiger

Starter
#480 : May 02, 2013, 01:53:04 AM

I got in touch with some of my North Carolina State homies. Glennon seems like a solid young man that played behind a junior varsity type of offensive line with some questionable receivers and terrible coaching. However I was led to believe those folks don't believe he will be an NFL long term starting Quarterback. If Freeman isn't it we will need to draft a QB next season.

A lot of Bucs fans are delusional if they think this kids can come in and be the #2 QB.  He simply doesn't have the chops right now to do and is best for him to sit and learn as a clip board holder till next season where he has a year under this system at least.

Freeman was a "project" QB who was drafted ahead of his level because of the perceived lack of talent after the top in his QB class and even earlier than he would have gone even given that because of the Morris connection.  He wasn't supposed to play at all his first year.   Yet somehow he managed. 

You're the one who is delusional if you think he isn't going to waltz into the QB2.  Dan is not good enough to justify playing him in place of a guy you are developing for the long haul.  And if you pay attention around the league, teams play QBs a lot earlier than they did in the past.

I do hope you mean that for the back-up position 'doc - because I can't for the life of me understand what the problem could possibly be with a 25 year old starting QB who just led your team to a franchise record, and for the first time in a long time - BECAUSE OF Freeman's effort - we were ranked in the TOP 10 in passing and total offense.

Freeman threw for 4065 yds, 27 TD's, 17 Int's...I'm not sure what else anyone could expect of him - its not like he can play starting Corner Back...

our passing game was ranked #9, our running game was ranked #10 - our total offense was ranked #10!

Our defense - where we made the most significant investment in a VERY long time - ranked #29.

It's a shame the defense let Freeman twist in the wind - last season and ALL offseason.

gone

Hall of Famer
#481 : May 02, 2013, 02:12:05 AM

I got in touch with some of my North Carolina State homies. Glennon seems like a solid young man that played behind a junior varsity type of offensive line with some questionable receivers and terrible coaching. However I was led to believe those folks don't believe he will be an NFL long term starting Quarterback. If Freeman isn't it we will need to draft a QB next season.

A lot of Bucs fans are delusional if they think this kids can come in and be the #2 QB.  He simply doesn't have the chops right now to do and is best for him to sit and learn as a clip board holder till next season where he has a year under this system at least.

Freeman was a "project" QB who was drafted ahead of his level because of the perceived lack of talent after the top in his QB class and even earlier than he would have gone even given that because of the Morris connection.  He wasn't supposed to play at all his first year.   Yet somehow he managed. 

You're the one who is delusional if you think he isn't going to waltz into the QB2.  Dan is not good enough to justify playing him in place of a guy you are developing for the long haul.  And if you pay attention around the league, teams play QBs a lot earlier than they did in the past.

I do hope you mean that for the back-up position 'doc - because I can't for the life of me understand what the problem could possibly be with a 25 year old starting QB who just led your team to a franchise record, and for the first time in a long time - BECAUSE OF Freeman's effort - we were ranked in the TOP 10 in passing and total offense.

Freeman threw for 4065 yds, 27 TD's, 17 Int's...I'm not sure what else anyone could expect of him - its not like he can play starting Corner Back...

our passing game was ranked #9, our running game was ranked #10 - our total offense was ranked #10!

Our defense - where we made the most significant investment in a VERY long time - ranked #29.

It's a shame the defense let Freeman twist in the wind - last season and ALL offseason.

I'm not under any delusion that Glennon will start this year, rest assured.  I was talking about him being QB2, not 1.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#482 : May 02, 2013, 06:07:59 AM

After watching all the footage that i could find on Glennon, one thing that is overlooked IMO is just how accurate of a passer he is.  His comp % is deceiving in that his WR's drop an inordinate amount of passes, but the throw is usually right on target and allows the receiver to run after the catch.  I bet with our WR crew his comp % would be 63% or better.

JoshMcCrownUs

Starter

#483 : May 02, 2013, 07:40:30 AM

Watched a lot of youtube on glennon last few days, and I'm definitely intrigued by the potential, but he probably needs at least a year of clipboarding to learn the offense / catch up with the speed of NFL defenses. Also don't like his odds against free blitzers, so his pass protection calls better be rock solid if/when he does come in

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#484 : May 02, 2013, 10:17:21 AM

Watched a lot of youtube on glennon last few days, and I'm definitely intrigued by the potential, but he probably needs at least a year of clipboarding to learn the offense / catch up with the speed of NFL defenses. Also don't like his odds against free blitzers, so his pass protection calls better be rock solid if/when he does come in
He's got the arm, and supposedly the smarts, but you are spot on about the speed and complexity at this level.
Biggest questions are, will disguised coverages confuse him? Will he stare down receivers like they are Eva Longoria? Will pressure make his feet look like a Dancing with the Stars episode?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#485 : May 02, 2013, 10:19:47 AM

Most likely he'll struggle with all three just like a rookie should...

Hopefully, for the benefit of all involved he's able to ride the bench for a season or two before they have to make a decision on him.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#486 : May 02, 2013, 02:21:07 PM

this is not a "he'll start in 13" comment, but how does Glennon acclimate himself to the speed of the game without playing the game? I'm sure he'll get good playing time in preseason, but other then that, where will he get his feet wet without playing actual games?
Will practice give him the needed development time for "speed of the game"?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#487 : May 02, 2013, 02:36:03 PM

No. Only way to adjust to the speed is to play. The clipboard holding helps with the mental aspects of the game such as learning the offense,  audibles,  things like that.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#488 : May 02, 2013, 02:48:49 PM

this is not a "he'll start in 13" comment, but how does Glennon acclimate himself to the speed of the game without playing the game? I'm sure he'll get good playing time in preseason, but other then that, where will he get his feet wet without playing actual games?
Will practice give him the needed development time for "speed of the game"?
The problem is the time for the Bucs to acclimate a QB was in 2009 and 2010 when they had the lowest payroll in the NFL. Now that the Bucs have some of the highest paid players in the league, it's not as conducive to let a QB acclimate when the games count for real. They need to win now.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#489 : May 02, 2013, 02:51:49 PM

this is not a "he'll start in 13" comment, but how does Glennon acclimate himself to the speed of the game without playing the game?
That's a really fair question. In truth you can't.
Yeah, practice will help some, he'll be throwing to VJax, MW (and probably Revis too. lol)
Film study can help determine closing speeds and emphasize when to pull the trigger. But the biggest difference is he wont be wearing one of those "please don't kill me jerseys.
Agree his development is a process, not an event. It's the smartest path to being ready to start.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#490 : May 02, 2013, 02:54:50 PM

Many QBs are simply thrown in the deep end of the pool.  I think Tom Brady played in one game his first year and then had a few years of 80s QB ratings. Aaaron Rodgers played in a couple games each season for several seasons (maybe mop up duty? not sure) and then became the full time starter

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#491 : May 02, 2013, 03:19:01 PM

Freeman was a project when he was drafted but not as much as Glennon though. You are pretty much convinced that there is little difference between Glennon as a rookie and rookie Freeman but in reality it is more like a chasm form my view.  Freeman showed traits in college he can lead come back victories, hence why he has shown this at the NFL level.  Glennon ,in comparison, when under pressure wilted.  This is why Freeman was a first round pick while Glennon was a third round pick (arguably would have been a fourth round back).  Glennon is closer to Simms than Freeman in terms of time needed to develop.

People hate on Orvlosky for some odd reason but Glennon doesn't have the skills necessary to displace him yet.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#492 : May 02, 2013, 04:13:49 PM

Orlovsky is a horrible NFL QB.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#493 : May 02, 2013, 04:18:45 PM

...apparently....so is Glennon..

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#494 : May 02, 2013, 04:31:58 PM

Orlovsky is a horrible NFL QB.
I wouldn't go that far. Josh Johnson is horrible.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon QB N.C. State « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools