Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It could take the Bucs two more years to evaluate Freeman, « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 28, 2012, 12:16:30 AM

Bucs Q&A: What about Freeman's future?

By TBO.com
 Published: December 27, 2012

Q: Are they going to get rid of Freeman?

- James Coggins, Port Richey

A: The Bucs won't be getting rid of Josh Freeman any time soon. They still believe in him, largely because he has played exceptionally well at times. He's still growing but he is fast reaching a point in his career where he has to be more consistent. Though the Bucs remain optimistic about Freeman's future they aren't so sure of it that they will re-sign him to a new contract this coming offseason. They will wait until sometime next year to decide the next step, which may be a new deal at that point or it may include slapping the franchise tag on him for 2014. That would give the Bucs two more years to evaluate Freeman, which would leave them with a better understanding of the player he will ultimately be.

- Roy Cummings

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 28, 2012, 08:11:46 AM

I don't think there's a ton of proof that QB's develop a lot between years 4 and year 6. Not sure what we think we'll learn.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#2 : December 28, 2012, 09:58:23 AM

Two more years isn't enough.    He will still only be 26 by that time.    It takes a man until around 29 or 30 before he really comes into his own.   The Bucs need to lock him up until at least his 30th birthday.   By then, they will know if he will be any good.   

The problem is they drafted him too young.   

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Ms Elam

Starter

#3 : December 28, 2012, 10:38:24 AM

Two more years isn't enough.    He will still only be 26 by that time.    It takes a man until around 29 or 30 before he really comes into his own.   The Bucs need to lock him up until at least his 30th birthday.   By then, they will know if he will be any good.   

The problem is they drafted him too young.
Great point I couldn't agree more.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 29, 2012, 12:50:04 AM

I think that 2013 is a make or break year regardless of what happens. All that he has to do is show good play and consistency. Don't go more than one game in a row by being bad. Have at least 8 great games and a handful of other good ones.

If he doesn't do that, then just let him go, there's no in between. He's had enough time. Don't franchise him, that would just mean that he's had a mediocre season and they're not fully committed.

Even if he has a game manager type season with us winning a lot of games, I would resign him, as long as we're winning because of a clutch play here and there, and not winning in spite of him because he threw a bunch of interceptions or had a few drives where he can't hit anywhere near a receiver.

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#5 : December 29, 2012, 01:02:00 PM

I think if you draft a quarterback in the first round, you need to give him 10 years to develop.   Otherwise you are wasting a first round pick.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 29, 2012, 01:32:11 PM

If it were my choice, I'd let the guy stay out the remainder of the contract.

We went all-in with the guy by labeling him a franchise. If he's not a keeper, and we lose out on a pick or two, big deal. Point is, we have more to lose by letting him go if we don't have a realistic replacement plan. Which, IMO, will only be AFTER next season.

Two more seasons would be too much. Next season he has to show us all he can play consistantly, or be gone.

Still though, I think josh is a good QB. An I loves me the idea of having a QB on my team that can indeed drop some points on a defense at any given game. However, he has to get it to come together. If he can be that great QB we've seen flashes of, all the time, we're nearly unstoppable. That really does need to be looked into first, before diving head-first off a cliff. But two more seasons? No, I think we get enough info after next season.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 29, 2012, 02:00:03 PM

If he's not good enough to re-sign to a real contract after 2013, there's no use franchising him. Get rid of him. This is it.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 29, 2012, 02:03:47 PM

If he's not good enough to re-sign to a real contract after 2013, there's no use franchising him. Get rid of him. This is it.
The problem is that getting rid of him is the easiest thing in the world but it's just one part of the issue,  you still have to put somebody else in at QB and there is nothing out there that is any better right now.
We might be as well letting him play out the last year of his deal and then franchising him while we keep looking.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 29, 2012, 02:27:09 PM

Year #1, no reps as the starter, least experienced team in the league, OC fired, poor coaching, poor scheme.

Year #2, still youngest team in the league, OL injuries, poor coaching, poor scheme, horrendous officiating in Detroit game.

Year #3, no offseason program, more key injuries, more poor coaching, poor scheme, no leadership on or off the field.

Year #4, First year needs addressed in free agency, 6 wins 7 close losses despite injuries and suspensions, better coaching, better scheme, need more talent on defense and OL/TE.

Year #5, Should see single season records shattered with talent upgrades and second season of decent coaching, leadership, and schemes.

The babies will cry when the Bucs get eliminated from the playoffs in the NFCC game. Be patient. Another Lombardi is not that far off.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 29, 2012, 02:34:55 PM

Year #1, no reps as the starter, least experienced team in the league, OC fired, poor coaching, poor scheme.

Year #2, still youngest team in the league, OL injuries, poor coaching, poor scheme, horrendous officiating in Detroit game.

Year #3, no offseason program, more key injuries, more poor coaching, poor scheme, no leadership on or off the field.

Year #4, First year needs addressed in free agency, 6 wins 7 close losses despite injuries and suspensions, better coaching, better scheme, need more talent on defense and OL/TE.

Year #5, Should see single season records shattered with talent upgrades and second season of decent coaching, leadership, and schemes.

The babies will cry when the Bucs get eliminated from the playoffs in the NFCC game. Be patient. Another Lombardi is not that far off.
Seriously, how many "Kool Aid" laced Egg Nogs have you had over the holidays?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 29, 2012, 02:37:37 PM

Year #1 you might want to check the last portion of the season.
Year #2 many were saying the team had turned the corner and Freeman was the answer.
Year #3 he and other leaders on the team failed as the squad quit.
Year #4 a guard and a receiver are added.  Some very good games, and others have reeked due to poor play.  Little in the middle. 

Year#5 with a full off season directed by the same staff he needs to show up and convince the staff he can be the guy, or he will be another qb looking for a team.  His salary is too high for the level of play he is putting out there.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 29, 2012, 02:49:25 PM

I'm a bah humbug kind of guy with no interest in either beverage. I just like my outlook better than yours. It's much more fun than your doom and gloom. I like where I believe this team is headed. The wins will come with Schiano and Freeman. I have no doubt about it.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 29, 2012, 03:07:37 PM

I'm a bah humbug kind of guy with no interest in either beverage. I just like my outlook better than yours. It's much more fun than your doom and gloom. I like where I believe this team is headed. The wins will come with Schiano and Freeman. I have no doubt about it.
It's not doom & gloom here, just a healthy dose of realism.
I'm very happy with coach, 2 of the big FA signings we made, our draft (mostly due to Martin and David), te potential of our line if they ever get healthy at the same time.
Just beause you don't like 1 aspect of the team doesn't mean you are all negative.
You have ripped the DBs over & over, wouldn't that make you all doom & gloom, you have a problem with an entire unit of the team, me just 1 player.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 29, 2012, 05:40:04 PM

Josh needs to pretty much eliminate the brain farts next season for Schiano to keep him as the starting QB of the Bucs. Josh doesn't need to magically become Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees overnight; just show some leadership and play SMART consistanly. Errant throws and mis-reads happen to every QB...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It could take the Bucs two more years to evaluate Freeman, « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools