Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Worst pass defense, ever? ....... No, not even close. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 30, 2012, 12:26:36 AM

Do the Tampa Bay Buccaneers really have the worst pass defense in NFL history?

By Sander Philipse on Dec 29, 8:00

US PRESSWIRE
Worst pass defense, ever? No, not even close.

The past few weeks, we've seen this crazy statistic bandied about: the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are about to set a record for the worst pass defense ever! They've allowed more passing yards than any other team ever! They're historically, unbelievable horrible! They need just 251 yards tomorrow to break this record! Unbelievable!

Here's what I say to that: bull**CENSORED**! I've been watching some Penn and Teller lately.

Here's the problem: this team is set up to give up a lot of passing yards. But that doesn't equate the WORST PASSING DEFENSE EVER. Just a pretty bad passing defense. Yes, the Bucs give up a lot of passing yards -- but context matters, and where and how they give up those passing yards matters, too. First, they've given up a lot of yardage - but they also have 18 interceptions to show for it. That ranks sixth in the NFL. That's right: the worst pass defense in NFL history has forced more interceptions than all but five teams this year.

Here's another fact: we're in a pass-heavy era with more good quarterbacks than roamed the NFL at any point in NFL history. It's also an era that is more pass-heavy than any other ear. It is, of course, no coincidence that three of the four teams that have given up more than 4,500 passing yards in a season came into existence in the past two years. The same two years when many passers set passing yardage records for the NFL, or for their team. The Bucs are simply playing in an era with incredibly effective passers.

Some of the rate statistics would still suggest the Bucs have one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history. They've certainly given up more yards per pass than almost any other team this season. And yet, the defense overall hasn't been that bad: giving up 6 yards per play is bad, but it's not horrifyingly bad.

The outstanding run defense also hurts the pass defense if you view pass defense solely through the lens of yards per attempt. The run defense gives opponents lots of third-and-longs, but those aren't actually good for your pass defense: they create lots of big passing plays on third down that gain big yards -- and still fall short of a first down. That's a success for the defense, but a failure in terms of passing yards. A good run defense allows forces opponents to pass more, of course.

See, when we go to models that actually review defensive efficiency on a down-to-down basis, we get different results. Football Outsiders has the Bucs with the 28th worst pass defense this season. Advanced NFL Stats has them around 29th to 31st this year, depending on which stat you choose. They're not even the worst pass defense in their own year, let alone the worst pass defense ever.

Yes, the Bucs absolutely must address their pass defense this offseason. Most obviously, their cornerbacks aren't good enough, their blitzes aren't nearly effective enough and their coverage concepts expose their weaknesses. They have been really, really bad. But the worst pass defense ever? Don't be silly.

So when you hear everyone bash the team's worst pass defense ever, remember that it isn't actually the worst pass defense ever. It just allowed more yards than any other team, and there's a very significant difference between the two.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/12/29/3813062/do-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-really-have-the-worst-pass-defense-in-nfl

T.I. McCrown: King of the South

Starter
#1 : December 30, 2012, 07:54:29 AM

"Hey, that turd you guys have there, it's not the worst turd. There's some hair and some bugs in there to make it seem bigger, but it really isn't that big of a turd. Plus turds in the past were less likely to be as big as today's turds because of different food. So your turd isn't the worst turd ever."

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 30, 2012, 08:42:24 AM

The worst pass defense ever was the one on that 0-16 Lions team, how do we stack up - it will be us/them:
Comp%: 65.5/68.4
YPC: 12.3/12.9
YPA: 8.1/8.8
INT%: 3.1/ 0.9
QBR: 94.1/110.9

Simple answer, we make any QB we play look like an All Pro on average, they made them look like a HoF'er.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 30, 2012, 09:29:59 AM

Good points; any defense often overloads deeper coverage on 3rd down, giving up the shorter area coverage to better prevent the 3rd down conversion. Been going on in the NFL for decades... Yardage surrendered doesn't reflect quality of the defense. One could argue it's part of the equation, but far from the whole picture.

Zellination

Starter

#4 : December 30, 2012, 09:40:52 AM

Regardless...just watch the games......Nick Foles throws for 381 yards with 6 sacks.......the back end and Line Backers save David cannot cover......Ronde included

bucs63

Starter
#5 : December 30, 2012, 09:56:04 AM

I believe the only real defensive "worst" that we might set today was for passing yards allowed in a season. The rest can be argued with stats forever, but bad is bad and it's likely  Schiano's success will be tied more to his ability to turn the defense around than any progress the offense and Freeman may or may not make in the near future.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 30, 2012, 10:13:41 AM

I think with no Adrian Clayborn, our front seven have created an identity this season. I think that is a bright spot of this losing season, and it will carry over to next season and beyond. With Clayborn back, added DT depth thru FA, and possibly and upgrade for Quincy Black...we will only get better up front. So if we get a more talented secondary in here and improve that end of things, our defense is set to make huge strides in just one season. We could be really, really good next year.
: December 30, 2012, 10:15:46 AM JDouble

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 30, 2012, 10:23:47 AM

Horrible job by Dom. Horrible coaching.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 30, 2012, 10:38:51 AM

"Hey, that turd you guys have there, it's not the worst turd. There's some hair and some bugs in there to make it seem bigger, but it really isn't that big of a turd. Plus turds in the past were less likely to be as big as today's turds because of different food. So your turd isn't the worst turd ever."

LOL pretty much my thoughts but you said it much more eloquently

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 30, 2012, 11:44:11 AM

Biggest piece of propaganda since WWII.

Watch the games...we are the suck on Sundays vs the pass and still do the dumbest blitzes I have seen at the pro level.  It is a college defense trying to be run in the National Football League and the results are exactly what you should get.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 30, 2012, 12:02:40 PM

Much building to do for next season, and hopefully the injured will all be healthy.
     Let's see; on the DL, we lost Price, Claiborne, and Okoye early-on. And Bowers was extremly limited all season. With very little gametime for us recorded by Talib, Wright, and Gaitor, arguably our best 3 CBs, it's amazing we weren't much worse in pass D. Been sayin' for a while if we come up with a stud DT next season and get Claiborne and Bowers totally healthy, our whole defense should get worlds better.
   And on offense, remember Nicks was NOT healthy even when he played early-on; he was never his dominant self...
   On the positive side this year is the number of young FAs, like Leonard Johnson, who got significant PT and show promise for the future. This was very much a learning year for everyone, including the HC. I expect us to have another great draft and FA period next year!

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 30, 2012, 01:29:15 PM

Much building to do for next season, and hopefully the injured will all be healthy.
     Let's see; on the DL, we lost Price, Claiborne, and Okoye early-on. And Bowers was extremly limited all season. With very little gametime for us recorded by Talib, Wright, and Gaitor, arguably our best 3 CBs, it's amazing we weren't much worse in pass D. Been sayin' for a while if we come up with a stud DT next season and get Claiborne and Bowers totally healthy, our whole defense should get worlds better.
   And on offense, remember Nicks was NOT healthy even when he played early-on; he was never his dominant self...
   On the positive side this year is the number of young FAs, like Leonard Johnson, who got significant PT and show promise for the future. This was very much a learning year for everyone, including the HC. I expect us to have another great draft and FA period next year!

When we had out three best corners they gave up 500+ passing to Eli.  This injury excuse has zero to do with the scheme and the crazy slow blitzes.  Some of you can't see it apparently.  It is like some of you refuse to admit that Schiano's college defense is a joke at the pro level.  Come on.

gobuxfla

Pro Bowler

#12 : December 30, 2012, 04:24:04 PM

Thankfully, Green Bay retained the record. There is some pride in this team and that starts at the top!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#13 : December 30, 2012, 04:24:23 PM

record not broken, right? whew!  now lets fix this mess of a defensive backfield with draft and FAs.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 30, 2012, 04:54:23 PM

I would expect major changes in the secondary coming up.  A couple new CB's, Leonard will stick I think.  I thought Gaiter might too, but after that azzchewing today from Schiano I might have to rethink that.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Worst pass defense, ever? ....... No, not even close. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools