Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What's the future like for RB Michael Smith? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 01, 2013, 12:04:47 AM

Bucs Q&A: What's the future like for RB Michael Smith?

By TBO.com
 Published: : December 31, 2012 - 7:13 PM

Q: What is the plan with Michael Smith? He's never activated. Will he back up Doug Martin at some point? He's a real burner.

Alan, Zephyrhills

A: The Bucs definitely have a plan for Michael Smith and you'll probably see it come to fruition next year. A lot depends on whether they retain LeGarrette Blount or not, but the Bucs see what you see and believe Smith has a lot of value. He was inactive for the most part this year for a couple of reasons. First, the Bucs had a greater need for bigger bodies on special teams in other spots than return man and there was also a desire to keep Smith practice squad eligible for next year. Smith is definitely part of the future here.

Roy Cummings

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 01, 2013, 02:30:56 AM

As bad as the return game was this season, I would think they would have at least given him a shot at returns.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler
#2 : January 01, 2013, 02:55:12 AM

KR.  He was buried behind Blount and Ward.  With Blount likely to be gone, there will be a spot for him.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 01, 2013, 06:59:38 AM

Looks more like an assistant coach than player on sundays. Allways around Byner taking notes.

Bucs1320

Practice Squad

#4 : January 01, 2013, 07:28:25 AM

Getting rid of LeGarrette Blount just doesn't seem like the right move to me. The guy went to high school right here in FL, which would seem to give him more motivation because he's playing in front of his friends and family. I say keep the local guy if possible.

ufcguy32

Starter

#5 : January 01, 2013, 08:18:53 AM

i think we find a proven vet. these guys are scrubs who dont even belong out there. its a joke to me to think any of these guys should be our answer next yr

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
#6 : January 01, 2013, 12:29:05 PM

Getting rid of LeGarrette Blount just doesn't seem like the right move to me. The guy went to high school right here in FL, which would seem to give him more motivation because he's playing in front of his friends and family. I say keep the local guy if possible.

LG will be packaged in a trade, case closed. He is RFA, they will do his contract and then make him part of a trade at draft time. He has no future here and is not in the plans.  If I had to guess besides his lack of intensity, his lack of football IQ ( I don't think he could ever learn the playbook )

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 01, 2013, 12:42:53 PM

Running back is not a position where guys sit and get better. I mean, young running backs can obviously get better as time goes on, at everything from pass protection and receiving, to ball security and patience/vision.....but from day one they either have the ability to run the ball or they don't. Smith does not. He is a straight line runner and that does not equate to NFL running back. As desperate as we were for a returner this year, he couldn't even get activated for that role. I think people are kidding themselves if they think this guy is ever going to be a big contributor.

I pray that Schiano isn't fooling himself. We obviously aren't keeping Blount, so it is very important that we get a real solid #2 RB in the draft. Monte Ball if he slips, or perhaps Dennis Johnson in the 4th or 5th would be nice. All I know is Martin can't continue to have 368 touches per season if we want him to last. We need a legit #2 and Smith ain't it.

Draft Aaron Donald

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 01, 2013, 12:48:16 PM

They put him vs the Raiders and he immediately fumbled. They put him in vs the Rams and he immediately gave up a blind side sack. He'll likely sign a RFA tender that the Bucs won't match.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 01, 2013, 04:40:23 PM

LG will be packaged in a trade, case closed. He is RFA, they will do his contract and then make him part of a trade at draft time. He has no future here and is not in the plans.  If I had to guess besides his lack of intensity, his lack of football IQ ( I don't think he could ever learn the playbook )

That seems to be the case.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 01, 2013, 04:46:48 PM

I pray that Schiano isn't fooling himself. We obviously aren't keeping Blount, so it is very important that we get a real solid #2 RB in the draft. Monte Ball if he slips, or perhaps Dennis Johnson in the 4th or 5th would be nice. All I know is Martin can't continue to have 368 touches per season if we want him to last. We need a legit #2 and Smith ain't it.

Marcus Lattimore will freefall due to his injury. That's who we should take a flyer on in the middle rounds.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 01, 2013, 06:21:22 PM

Lattimore in the 6th or 7th maybe, but that was a horrible injury. Unless he is a one in a million cyborg like Adrian Peterson....he's most likely done. I still cringe when watching the injury. Not going to post it here, but he's lucky if he can walk right after that.
: January 01, 2013, 06:23:13 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 01, 2013, 06:36:10 PM

Smith couldn't even start in college.  He's fast but he's not a good football player.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 01, 2013, 07:04:52 PM

Lattimore in the 6th or 7th maybe, but that was a horrible injury. Unless he is a one in a million cyborg like Adrian Peterson....he's most likely done. I still cringe when watching the injury. Not going to post it here, but he's lucky if he can walk right after that.

He claimed today in sideline interview that his rehab is coming along great ...could be a total lie  , but that's what he said.Modern medicine seems to do wonders , I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him. Dude is a beast when healthy.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 01, 2013, 07:36:47 PM

I had heard from someone who has spent a lot of time around One Buc that he is the dumbest player he had ever been around (Blount).
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What's the future like for RB Michael Smith? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools