Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Official Mock Draft Thread (2013 Draft) « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 59

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« #705 : April 23, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »

Interesting to see if Carolina would draft Austin.  Esp being that a lot of people around here were high on him.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/22/2843010/panthers-should-shun-sensible.html#storylink=rss 

The sensible and mature move would be for the Carolina Panthers to select a defensive tackle Thursday with the 14th pick in the NFL draft. They need one. They always need one. For years if not decades most of Carolina’s defensive tackles have been too small, not good enough or injured. The 2013 draft is full of good defensive tackles, and one of the best should be available when the Panthers choose. A candidate is Missouri’s Sheldon Richardson, who is 6-foot-2, athletic and weighs almost 300 pounds.
Sensible and mature, however, are predictable. Steady-as-she-goes, stay-the-course, and perhaps Carolina will win eight games this season instead of six.

Another player immediately will make the offense more dynamic and effective, and he’s likely to be available at No. 14.
He is Tavon Austin, the wide receiver out of West Virginia, and if I’m the Panthers I (a) take him and (b) have a champagne glass handy. Champagne, too. Austin is 5-foot-9, weighs 174 pounds, ran a 4.34 40 at the NFL combine and changes directions as quickly as a procrastinator changes his mind.
He caught 114 passes for 1,289 yards and 12 touchdowns last season, ran 72 times for 643 yards (not all of them against Oklahoma) and three touchdowns, and returned a punt and a kick for touchdowns.

Can you imagine pairing Austin with Steve Smith? You probably can’t because Smith has never played with a receiver as fast and as elusive as he is.
Muhsin Muhammad, who retired in 2009, was a superior runner of routes and one of the best blocking receivers in the league. But he was never a flyer.
Stick Austin in the slot and line Smith up outside. Or put Smith in the slot and Austin outside. With Austin in the huddle opponents can’t devote the attention to Smith they historically have. Defensive coordinators will have to worry about Smith, Austin, tight end Greg Olsen, and the running game, and big receiver Brandon LaFell and newcomer Domenik Hixon.
f Austin is what he appears to be, he will at least be Percy Harvin light. Seattle, the Panthers’ opponent in the 2013 season opener, gave Minnesota a first-round pick for Harvin and gave Harvin a six-year, $67 million contract.
The Vikings drafted Harvin 22nd out of Florida in 2009. In 2009 offenses had yet to figure out how to utilize smaller receivers. Turn on the TV on a Sunday afternoon and no matter which game you watch there’s a little man making an offensive coordinator look good by breaking free.
At 5-foot-11 and 195 pounds, Harvin is bigger than Austin. He’s also more fragile. Harvin has played 16 games in only one NFL season. Austin did not miss a game at Baltimore’s Dunbar High or with the Mountaineers. As well as the Panthers ran late last season, and as well as Cam Newton threw, the offense would not work without Smith. Smith turns 34 next month. At some point, he’s going to walk away. Who replaces him? I have a suggestion: Austin.

The offseason has been a testament to the status quo. The Panthers kept the head coach, promoted the quarterback coach to offensive coordinator and hired a general manager who made no changes to the personal department, or waves.

So make some.

Of course Carolina has greater needs than a receiver. But there’s not a roster in the NFL without flaws. Good teams compensate by imposing their strengths, their style of play. The more you score, the less fearsome your defense has to be. Defensive tackles will be available in the second round, too.

Imagine. The Panthers break huddle; Smith lines up left, Austin in the slot, Brandon LaFell right, Olsen inside.

What’s Newton doing?

He’s smiling.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #706 : April 23, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »

Meh. I like Steve Smith but he is getting old and nearing the end. He is not what he once was. Really just a great #2 at this point. LaFell and Olsen are average at best. Just adding Austin doesn't make them scary imo.

Besides, they drafted Joe Adams last year and he's a poor man's Austin. I expect to see Joe Adams show up big this season.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #707 : April 23, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »

Matt Scott doesnt impress me and i see a lot of Josh Freeman in him and its the josh freeman everyone likes to **CENSORED** about. its the inconsistency. pass on this guy

BlackBeard

Rookie

« #708 : April 23, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »

Hopefully Tank Caradine could fall to us in the 2nd

BlackBeard

Rookie

« #709 : April 23, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »

2nd. DT Kawann Short
3rd. WR Stedman Bailey
4th. CB Tyrann Mathieu
4th.TE Micheal Williams
5th.C.Khaled Holmes
6th.OLB Alonzo Highsmith
6th. OT Xavier Nixon

Would love this pick, Williams has reliable hands and is a very good run-blocker

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #710 : April 23, 2013, 12:46:01 PM »

2) Jonathan Banks CB
3) Corey Lemonior DE
3) Montori Hughes DT
4) Vinston Painter OT
5) Khaled Holmes C
6) Joseph Randle RB

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #711 : April 23, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »

Zach Ertz in the 2nd. Undervalued in the draft but a great blocker and excellent receiver. Def. a bucaneer man.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

ErnieBuc

Rookie

« #712 : April 23, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

I actually want Tank Carradine or Menelik Watson, but since neither is likely to fall:

2nd. Johnthan Banks (CB)
3rd. Khaseem Green (OLB)
4th. Logan Ryan (CB)
4th. William Gholston
5th. Ricky Wagner (OT)
6th. Levine Toilolo (TE)
6th. Lonnie Pryor (RB)

UDFA
1. Greg Reid (CB/KR)

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #713 : April 23, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »

Matt Scott doesnt impress me and i see a lot of Josh Freeman in him and its the josh freeman everyone likes to **CENSORED** about. its the inconsistency. pass on this guy

Similiarities to Freeman ?? Like what, besides some sloppy footwork ?  Most of the comparisions I have heard are to Russel Wilson . He is not shy about running  , unlike Freeman , and his comp. % is up over 60% . Not sure what Freeman similiarities you are speaking to.

BTW , Scott acknowledged that his footwork does indeed get sloppy at times , and he said he is working on it .
"Everyone was talking about my footwork was bad , and stuff like that. Although you don't really see it until you watch film , it was pretty bad at times. I feel like that's the one thing I've tried to correct over this whole process ,and I feel like I have ."
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84319&draftyear=2013&genpos=QB

He's a little raw because he only started one season. No one is saying he isn't a project , if he was perfect he'd be going off the board in the 1st round , but you gotta love this guy's upside.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #714 : April 23, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »

There has been alot of speculation that Dominik will trade back into the 1st round if a  player they really like falls into the late 20s. I think this is obviously possible but I think there is a better chance for the Bucs to use their late 4th rounder and one of their 6th roundersto wind up with two 2nd rounders and even trade up in the 3rd to get the player they covet. I could see the Bucs first four picks as follows:

2)  Kawann Short - DT
2)  Gavin Escobar - TE
3)  Logan Ryan - CB
4) Ricky Wagner - OL
« : April 23, 2013, 06:46:45 PM Ft Myers Buc Fan »

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #715 : April 23, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »

Similiarities to Freeman ?? Like what, besides some sloppy footwork ?  Most of the comparisions I have heard are to Russel Wilson . He is not shy about running  , unlike Freeman , and his comp. % is up over 60% . Not sure what Freeman similiarities you are speaking to.

BTW , Scott acknowledged that his footwork does indeed get sloppy at times , and he said he is working on it .
"Everyone was talking about my footwork was bad , and stuff like that. Although you don't really see it until you watch film , it was pretty bad at times. I feel like that's the one thing I've tried to correct over this whole process ,and I feel like I have ."
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84319&draftyear=2013&genpos=QB

He's a little raw because he only started one season. No one is saying he isn't a project , if he was perfect he'd be going off the board in the 1st round , but you gotta love this guy's upside.

well his accuracy goes to **CENSORED** when he faces a good defense. the really alarming thing is that they dont really have good defenses in the Pac12. youve already mentioned the footwork which goes hand in hand with his accuracy. hes also up and down, he'll make a great throw then an awful one.

im ok if we draft him in the 5th or so but the 3rd is a waste of a pick. if hes going to become our starter it means freeman flopped and we will likely have a high 1st rounder next year to get a better player. id rather improve the team elsewhere in the 3rd and worry about qb next year. i dont want to spend a 3rd on a guy that im going to spend the entire season hoping never has to play

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #716 : April 23, 2013, 07:36:03 PM »

There has been alot of speculation that Dominik will trade back into the 1st round if a  player they really like falls into the late 20s. I think this is obviously possible but I think there is a better chance for the Bucs to use their late 4th rounder and one of their 6th roundersto wind up with two 2nd rounders and even trade up in the 3rd to get the player they covet. I could see the Bucs first four picks as follows:

2)  Kawann Short - DT
2)  Gavin Escobar - TE
3)  Logan Ryan - CB
4) Ricky Wagner - OL

Big time disappointment if they wind up with 3 picks on day 2, but don't end up with a DE.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

swamp_bats

Starter
« #717 : April 23, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »

2)  Kawann Short - DT
2)  Gavin Escobar - TE
3)  Logan Ryan - CB
4) Ricky Wagner - OL

Big time disappointment if they wind up with 3 picks on day 2, but don't end up with a DE.
not if we sign Abraham after the draft

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #718 : April 23, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »

well his accuracy goes to **CENSORED** when he faces a good defense. the really alarming thing is that they dont really have good defenses in the Pac12. youve already mentioned the footwork which goes hand in hand with his accuracy. hes also up and down, he'll make a great throw then an awful one.

im ok if we draft him in the 5th or so but the 3rd is a waste of a pick. if hes going to become our starter it means freeman flopped and we will likely have a high 1st rounder next year to get a better player. id rather improve the team elsewhere in the 3rd and worry about qb next year. i dont want to spend a 3rd on a guy that im going to spend the entire season hoping never has to play

Disagree . It's not a wasted pick.  We need someone who can push Freeman more than Orlovsky can , and someone we can develop as another option down the road , so that we don't have to put all our eggs in one basket - be that the Freeman basket or a 2014 rookie's basket.

...and you are dreaming if you think drafting him in the 5th is even an option . Everyone has him projected as a 3rd  , especially after he killed it at his pro-day.

This kid has a few technical things to work on , but that is all. He has all the tools and intangibles.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #719 : April 23, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »

You could be right Dolorous.

I'm certainly not going to rain on your parade if Matt Scott is your boy.

It's great that he is aware of his issues and is working to correct them.

The first thing I look at with regards to footwork is how many steps was his drop. You should be able to tell exactly how many steps back the QB has taken. This is stuff that coaches are responsible for. If a guy has terrible footwork it's because he hasn't been coached up properly. It's totally fixable with reps.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?
  Page: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 59
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Official Mock Draft Thread (2013 Draft) « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools