Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 Tampa Bay Rays « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 60

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#105 : March 08, 2013, 08:37:59 PM

I don't know what was said for sure 5 years ago (maybe I'll look back when I have a chance), but it was pretty obvious then and is now and has been for the past 5 years that they are going with the cheaper option when possible.  Which is fine for the most part, but it isn't fine when you will not make moves to improve obvious needs.   They passed on Bay.  They passed on Pence.   They finally pulled the trigger on the Shields deal (made sense financially as well) to get Myers and even threw in Davis to get it done.  Hopefully that pans out.

The thing is  , if Myers contract wasn't so friendly we wouldn't have done this deal either. Only reason we pulled the trigger is because , by keeping him in the minors this season , we have the opportunity to rape him and make him basically play for free for a few years before we sell him off like the rest.

Of course his age/friendly contract rights is why they pulled the trigger.  Nothing wrong with that.  They also got a solid SP prospect.   They haven't really "sold off" a bunch of players.   Deals have for the most part worked out in their favor.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#106 : March 08, 2013, 09:10:48 PM

I don't know what was said for sure 5 years ago (maybe I'll look back when I have a chance), but it was pretty obvious then and is now and has been for the past 5 years that they are going with the cheaper option when possible.  Which is fine for the most part, but it isn't fine when you will not make moves to improve obvious needs.   They passed on Bay.  They passed on Pence.   They finally pulled the trigger on the Shields deal (made sense financially as well) to get Myers and even threw in Davis to get it done.  Hopefully that pans out.

The thing is  , if Myers contract wasn't so friendly we wouldn't have done this deal either. Only reason we pulled the trigger is because , by keeping him in the minors this season , we have the opportunity to rape him and make him basically play for free for a few years before we sell him off like the rest.

Of course his age/friendly contract rights is why they pulled the trigger.  Nothing wrong with that.  They also got a solid SP prospect.   They haven't really "sold off" a bunch of players.   Deals have for the most part worked out in their favor.

They haven't sold off everyone , true. Many they just let go for nothing.  The only guy they've ever commited to keeping  for the long haul was Longoria ....ever.

Myers is a great prospect , and an asset to this team. The reason there is something wrong with the trade is not because he is currently cheap , it's because they wouldn't have done it otherwise. What's best for the team is secondary to what saves the most money. To an extent that is fine , because we are small market team , but come on.  We recently had a window to try and win it all and we pissed it away to save a few bucks. I have a feeling that is how it will always be . So why bother ?

By the time Wil Myers is raking it will be time to pawn off Price. Pissing in the wind we are...
: March 08, 2013, 09:18:04 PM Fire Mark Dummynik

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#107 : March 08, 2013, 11:30:11 PM

Who should we have really committed to "for the long haul" outside of Longoria? I mean really. Price is the only other player that would really be worth the long term commitment, but unfortunately that contract would decimate the flexibility of the team.

We committed to CC long enough to get his best days IMO, I had no problem with not giving him more. BJ I had even less problem letting go and I do think he can be a beast now that he is in the NL, but I never can see him becoming much more here in the ALE.

Should we just give people big contracts because they are ours? Would we really be that much better off with CC and BJ with that much money tied up in them?

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
#108 : March 09, 2013, 07:40:58 AM

Who should we have really committed to "for the long haul" outside of Longoria? I mean really. Price is the only other player that would really be worth the long term commitment, but unfortunately that contract would decimate the flexibility of the team.

We committed to CC long enough to get his best days IMO, I had no problem with not giving him more. BJ I had even less problem letting go and I do think he can be a beast now that he is in the NL, but I never can see him becoming much more here in the ALE.

Should we just give people big contracts because they are ours? Would we really be that much better off with CC and BJ with that much money tied up in them?

Price and Longoria are the only two breaking the bank. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#109 : March 09, 2013, 08:08:31 AM

Price is the only other player that would really be worth the long term commitment, but unfortunately that contract would decimate the flexibility of the team.

LOL , I love how some Rays fans talk .

Flexibility ? To do what , not pick Buster Posey and instead sign more bums no one else wants like Jose Molina and never get over the hump ? We sure as hell don't make moves at the deadline when we are in the race that might give us the little extra we need either . So what flexibility ?

No , it wouldn't decimate anything except a portion of \Sternberg's profit margin. What it would do is stabilize our rotation for years to come . What it would do is lock in our fan favorite and "Ace" . What it would do is make us a better team. Anything else is just an excuse , and shows a lack of commitment to winning . It's things like this that are the real reason the Rays games are empty .  If we can't keep any of our players who becomes great , why are we playing the game ? Why should we watch it ? We're a glorified farm team.

...and don't get me wrong , I understand we are small market and can't spend with the L.A.'s and New York  , but come on - throw me a bone now and then. We can do a little more than we do to try and win it all .
: March 13, 2013, 09:58:52 AM 3rd String Kicker

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#110 : March 09, 2013, 09:44:43 AM

...and don't get me wrong , I understand we are small market and can't spend with the L.A.'s and New York  , but come on - throw me a bone now and then. We can do a little more than we do to try and win it all .

It's pretty clear you don't understand a damn thing.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#111 : March 09, 2013, 11:54:54 AM

Surprising coming from the guy who has an excuse for everything the Rays do.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#112 : March 09, 2013, 11:57:51 AM

Speaking of Gimenez,  (you guys probably already knew this but I didn't) he has a minor league option so the odds are against him staying.

But c'mon, last year after being sent down to Durham May 28 and changing his swing, in 71 games there he hits .310, 10 hr's, 49 RBI's.  Then after being recalled to the Rays on Aug 31, he hits .406, 3 doubles, 1 hr, and 5 RBI's in 18 games to finish the season.   And now, this spring, he's leading the club in hitting at .526 in 10 games.

I have zero knowledge or memory of his defense or calling pitches, but, that's a hot bat since May 28 a year ago.

Gimenez is a defensive guy.  If he can hit .275 and 10 dingers in the pros, that's a win.

Thanks.  Keeping my eye on how he does the rest of spring in comparison to the other catchers.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#113 : March 09, 2013, 12:00:03 PM

Surprising coming from the guy who has an excuse for everything the Rays do.

Yeah, that describes me well.  I'm a regular shill for the Maddon, Friedman, and Rays.

You are on top of things, alright.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#114 : March 09, 2013, 02:48:05 PM

Rays extended CC, Zobrist and Shields along with Longo.  Price isn't interested in signing a long term deal.  he wants to hit the market.   Who have the let walk for nothing for financial reasons that has bit them in the rear?  I can't think of anyone.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#115 : March 09, 2013, 02:56:55 PM

Rays extended CC, Zobrist and Shields along with Longo.  Price isn't interested in signing a long term deal.  he wants to hit the market.   Who have the let walk for nothing for financial reasons that has bit them in the rear?  I can't think of anyone.

Most recently BJ  and  Shields . CC bombed out under the pressure of the Boston market ,  so it looks okay now , but he was a baller for us and we'd probably be better with him in left field still. We basically let Posey walk for financial reasons also even though he was never astually on the team.

...and how many times have we been in the playoff hunt at the trading deadline , needing more bats to make a serious run , and done nothing ??

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#116 : March 09, 2013, 03:03:48 PM

CC hasn't done anything since he left and was wearing down when he was here.  They traded Shields for top prospects including Myers, the young bat they needed.   BJ isn't anything substantial at this point and he didn't seem to have much interest in staying.   I agree they should have drafted Posey and I have taken issue with their lack of moves at the deadline, but that isn't the same as letting guys walk for nothing.   I also agree that our line up looked like a Triple A line up last year at times.  It's one of the reasons that Stu's whining about attendance rubs me the wrong way.  Can't blame people for not wanting to drive to St Pete for a week night game against the Indians when there is almost as good a shot at seeing the Rays get no hit as there is seeing them win the game.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#117 : March 09, 2013, 03:04:56 PM

If you understand we are small maarket, then you should understand that some guys are going to walk and some are going to be traded.  That comes with the territory.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#118 : March 09, 2013, 04:59:24 PM

If you understand we are small maarket, then you should understand that some guys are going to walk and some are going to be traded.  That comes with the territory.

I do understand that ...I guess my only point is when the team is good and we have a window to make a run at a title we should do it . I feel like we could have done more those seasons we were in the playoff hunt to get over the hump , but  instead we just stick to our status quo cheapness no matter what.

It annoys me.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#119 : March 22, 2013, 09:20:56 PM

Projected Line-up:

CF - Dez Jennings
SS - Yunel Escobar
RF - Ben Zobrist
3B - Evan Longoria
DH - Matt Joyce
2B - Sean Rodriguez
1B - James Loney
C - Robinson Chirinos???
LF - Sam Fuld

Projected Rotation:

1.  David Price - LHP
2.  Jeremy Hellickson - RHP
3.  Matt Moore - LHP
4.  Jeff Niemann - RHP
5.  Alex Cobb - RHP

Set-Up Man:  Jake McGee
Closer:  Fernando Rodney

Revisited after signing and most of Spring Training:

Line-up:

1.  Dez Jennings - CF
2.  Yunel Escobar - SS
3.  Ben Zobrist - RF
4.  Evan Longoria - 3B
5.  Luke Scott - DH (Great Spring)
6.  Matt Joyce - LF
7.  Kelly Johnson - 2B
8.  Jame Loney - 1B
9.  Chris Gimenez? - C

Rotation:

1.  David Price - LHP
2.  Jeremy Hellickson - RHP
3.  Matt Moore - LHP
4.  Alex Cobb - RHP
5.  Roberto Hernandez - RHP???  (Niemann is trade bait)

Closer:  'Nando Rodney
Set-up:  Jake McGee
: March 22, 2013, 09:22:39 PM Biggs3535

Page: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 60
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 Tampa Bay Rays « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools