Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It looks like Gruden is falling all over himself to attract some/any interest. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 08, 2013, 12:02:25 AM »

Jaworski says Jon Gruden would be interested in Eagles

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2013, 7:47 PM EST

Getty Images

Largely ignored for the first week of the 2013 hiring cycle, former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden seems to be doing his damnedest to create a market where none apparently exists.

Via John Clark of NBC10 in Philly, former in-booth partner Ron Jaworski of ESPN said on 97.5 The Fanatic that:  (1) Jaworski has spoken to Gruden; (2) the Eagles haven’t reached out yet to Gruden; and (3) Gruden would be interested.

So much for Gruden being committed to ESPN.

Earlier today, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the Browns “might be” interested in Gruden.  We promptly learned that the more accurate term is “aren’t.”

The end result seems to be an effort to inject Gruden into the discussion for one or more of the vacant jobs.  And that’s an effort no one (especially Gruden) ever thought would be necessary when it comes to his return to the NFL.  Everyone (especially Gruden) believed teams would be falling all over themselves to hire him.

Now, it looks like Gruden is falling all over himself to attract some/any interest.

Source: Jon Gruden isn’t on Cleveland’s radar screen

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2013, 6:40 PM EST

Chip Kelly won’t be the next coach of the Cleveland Browns, and Jon Gruden won’t be, either.

Contrary to a report from the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the Browns “might” pursue Gruden, a source with direct knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Gruden isn’t, and won’t be, on the Browns’ radar screen.

Per the source, the Browns also have no interest in making a “splash” with their hire.  The goal was and is laying the foundation for a consistently successful and competitive football operation.

The latest Gruden rumor comes several weeks after his name was circulated both for jobs at the University of Tennessee and with the Oakland Raiders.  It appears that the latest leaked item could be aimed at generating interest in Cleveland or elsewhere at a time when Gruden apparently is ready to consider returning to the game — but no one seems to be banging on his door.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 08, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »

The Bucs need to fire Schiano and hire Gruden as HC.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 08, 2013, 01:03:23 AM »

Good to see the rest of the league catching on to that windbags act.
« : January 08, 2013, 01:18:59 AM The Anti-Java »

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 08, 2013, 01:13:04 AM »

I could see him going to the eagles.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 08, 2013, 01:50:55 AM »

I could see him going to the eagles.

If the fleagles weren't happy with a decade of playoff contention from Andy Reid, what makes you think Gruden's last six years would peak their interest? Throw in Monte Kiffin and they still wouldn't do it. Fans up here would be rioting in the streets and hanging the owner, and I don't mean in effigy.

Ironworker808

Second String

« #5 : January 08, 2013, 01:58:20 AM »

Bill Cowher's name hasn't been mentioned either. First year since he quit the Steelers that his name hasn't been attached to a few teams.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 08, 2013, 02:13:14 AM »

Bill Cowher's name hasn't been mentioned either. First year since he quit the Steelers that his name hasn't been attached to a few teams.

I honestly don't believe he has any interest in a return to coaching. He has the connections around the league to be a serious candidate for several teams. Gruden knows a lot of people but he has too many red flags. Few teams can win when the HC is a distraction.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 08, 2013, 06:01:25 AM »

Few teams can win when the HC is a distraction.

You mean like when the coach orders his team against their will to do a full out rush against the kneel down play?

DonkeyHunter

Pro Bowler

« #8 : January 08, 2013, 06:14:01 AM »

You mean like when the coach orders his team against their will to do a full out rush against the kneel down play?

Sorry troll-boy....Gruden wouldn't have the luxury of Kiffin's defense bailing out his "genius offensive mind".

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 08, 2013, 06:21:02 AM »

Sorry troll-boy....Gruden wouldn't have the luxury of Kiffin's defense bailing out his "genius offensive mind".

You quoted a comment about Schiano's cheap all out rush on a kneel down.   Your post had nothing to do with that.    If you want to make a comment like you made, you would look more credible if you just made the comment rather than quoting something that has nothing to do with that comment then making the comment.   

Just trying to help you.    You high school kids don't seem to learn these kind of things in school these days.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 08, 2013, 07:44:57 AM »

You quoted a comment about Schiano's cheap all out rush on a kneel down.   Your post had nothing to do with that.    If you want to make a comment like you made, you would look more credible if you just made the comment rather than quoting something that has nothing to do with that comment then making the comment.   

Just trying to help you.    You high school kids don't seem to learn these kind of things in school these days.

Ha. Java trying to school someone on credibility. That's a laugh.

Everyone thought Gruden would waltz back in to coaching and he's not even getting a sniff. I wonder if teams just don't want the distraction? Is he too expensive? Something to do with working for ESPN? I thought he'd be hired ASAP (and no, I wouldn't want him in Tampa again).

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 08, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »

There was no way he would be hired "asap".   The Glazers were paying him over 5 million a year for 3 years provided he remained an announcer.   So he remained an announcer.   

I have zero doubt that if Gru wants to coach again, he can and will.   Don't believe these articles that say he's not a consideration.   If he wants to be a consideration, he will be back.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : January 08, 2013, 07:52:49 AM »

Look at it from the other side. Why would Gruden want to take a job where the QB is lousy? In this league, you already have one major strike against you, one probably not solved this year. So if I am him, I wouldn't come back this year.

In Verner We Trust

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 08, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »

I went to Hooters the other day in Houston.   There was a big life sized Gruden cut out at the entrance.   I took my picture next to it with the Hooters waitress on my other side.     I asked the Hooters girl if they had one of those of Schiano.   She said "who"?I

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #14 : January 08, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

Look at it from the other side. Why would Gruden want to take a job where the QB is lousy?

Because there are only NFL head coaching jobs in the world and none of them want him.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It looks like Gruden is falling all over himself to attract some/any interest. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools