Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Options for corner. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

: January 09, 2013, 01:18:24 AM

Being that this has been a freeman free-for-all hate-fest recently on the MB, and there are obviously other problems at hand besides just him, I'd like to dive into the topic of Tampa's current weakest link. That being the cornerbacks.

Each of the four mentioned above would be an improvement, of that, there is no question. The questions however should be HOW much of an improvement, and which corner, or corners, best fit Tampa's defensive system. I've been asking myself this for awhile and figured I'd do some research and pass it on to whomever may be curious about the subject as well.

Dee Milliner - A product of Alabama, Dee is the best corner in the draft. He stands 6ft 1 and weighs in at 199. He also clocks in at 4.4 for the 40. Milliner, in three seasons with Alabama gathered  6 interceptions, ran them back for 107 yards total, and had one TD. After seeing his stats, then realizing he's faced some of the tougher college offenses, he has the potential to be successful in the NFL, but he's short of surefire. Still, his coverage skills are far superior to that of any CB currently on Tampa's roster, which should instantly make him a target for the Bucs.

Many draft gurus have him going from anywhere from fourth overall to falling to 12. In any case, there is a pretty good chance that he gets picked before Tampa's turn, so Dom had better be ready once again to wheel and deal that fourth round pick he obtained from trading talib.

Brent Grimes - The Atlanta falcons cornerback has had a pretty successful career. Especially considering he was signed on as an undrafted. Grimes stands at 5' 10 and weighs 183 according to NFL.com. Grimes has posted two very good seasons in the past. One being in 2010, and the other 2009 where he posted a combined 100+ tackles, one forced fumble, and six interceptions. Since then, his numbers have dropped. With grimes, we have to ask ourselves, is he too old? Can he fit the system?

Regardless, I think whoever nabs him up will have themselves a good tackling corner that can handle the intermediate routes well and will bring plenty of vet experiance

Johnthan Banks - Once again in draft we have the "McCoy vs. Suh" argument, where the second guy to go may be the best at his position. Banks stands 6 ft 2 inches and weighs 185. The Miss corner has amassed 221 total tackles, 139 solo, 11.5 TFL, 15 interceptions, five forced fumbles, and 4 touchdowns (one is from playing ST returning). Although playing in the SEC, one thing can be said about the kid, consistancy.  In each season, he produced 3-4 ints, and the production of tackles has never swayed (besides freshman year).

This guy may climb over milliner in the draft boards, and even if he doesn't the bucs still might not be able to draft him at 13.

Rodgers-Cromartie - At 6 ft 1 and 184 Rodgers had himself a wonderful season watching the eagles implode with a front row seat. DRC is only 26, so there are plenty of years left, but he still brings some vet attention. The former first round pick struggled in the defensive system of the eagles, which is also something Aso might have in common. Then again, if the man cannot play well next to Aso, who will he play well next to here? Before joining the eagles, in 2009 he posted 50 tackles and 6 ints and was a reserve for the probowl.

Whoever signs this free agent will either get a really good corner, who has just been playing out of character in a defense he wasn't aclimated to, or, a excuse ridden player who is covering for his shortcomings by using the defensive system as a scapegoat. Still, just like the rest of these players mentioned, it would be an improvement over the current group.

I only mention these guys as they are the prime candidates this offseason. If i had a say so, I would aim to draft Banks (depending on if he's still lower than milliner by draft time), and sign Grimes. The bucs could use some vet experiance once Barber leaves, but they also need future investments in the position as well. A combo of two of these players would help the bucs greatly, but realistically, we should only expect one of these four to sign.

Out of these players, who would you want signed?
: January 09, 2013, 01:23:46 AM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#1 : January 09, 2013, 01:26:00 AM

I'm with you that we should at least come away with one of these four, and for that I a also have a :)

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#2 : January 09, 2013, 01:28:53 AM

Sign me up for Banks and DRC.  The reason I lean toward DRC is the age factor.   

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#3 : January 09, 2013, 01:57:52 AM

Out of those four, Milliner.  Grimes is turning 30, is only 5'10", and coming off a major injury.  DRC has given inconsistent effort, especially in tackling.  I'm just not that impressed with Banks physicality. I'd rather have a combination of Sean Smith, Xavier Rhodes, or Logan Ryan.

McCoy93

Starter

#4 : January 09, 2013, 02:03:26 AM

I like the idea of apporaching the corner situation through a dual approach through FA and draft

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#5 : January 09, 2013, 02:05:41 AM

We're lucky there are this many options. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 09, 2013, 02:53:39 AM

Milliner or Banks, or both.

Not a big Grimes fan. And DRC is over rated

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 09, 2013, 02:55:05 AM

We're lucky there are this many options.

They aren't the super elite, but they are all pretty good players.

The only thing I'm truely scared of is if they just don't spend or aren't willing to move up. I feel as if they need to grab one of these guys, or it might be the same outcome next season. It's like five to one odds that the glazers spend, so I'm still a little fearful they might go the cheap route. There are others that have talent, but they are mostly projects or have been suspect at times. We need at least one side to have a vast improvement asap.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 09, 2013, 02:58:45 AM

I am warming up to that Milliner pick., but I wouldn't move up for him.  Let the draft fall as it may.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#9 : January 09, 2013, 03:10:57 AM

Dee Milliner looks real good to me. And I would be happy to move up 4 spots with Clev to get him at 9th

Seems like Tenn at #10 will grab him.

Liked Banks for a while, but he seems injured a lot. Could he be injury prone???.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 09, 2013, 03:41:13 AM

Dee Milliner looks real good to me. And I would be happy to move up 4 spots with Clev to get him at 9th

Seems like Tenn at #10 will grab him.

Liked Banks for a while, but he seems injured a lot. Could he be injury prone???.

Don't forget the eagles, they have both their corners leaving from what I hear.

If thats the case, they will also be looking for a corner.

spurzo

Second String

#11 : January 09, 2013, 04:49:46 AM

I really like Milliner, obviously his coverage skills are great but it's his physicality that sets him apart from Banks.  I'd be willing to trade our 3rd to go up and get him, maybe we could get to 9 with that.  Last year Dallas got from 14 to 6 with their 2nd.  Otherwise I'm happy with Banks, between Grimes and DRC, I'd take Grimes.  DRC may be the wimpiest, worst tackling corner in the whole league and that won't work in this D.  Grimes is physical and is coming off injury but that's why they have good surgeons these days.  Sean Smith would be awesome, and I like Jordan Poyer in the 2nd.  Somehow we need two new starting CB's

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 09, 2013, 07:21:29 AM

Xavier Rhodes, Logan Ryan, and Marcus Trufant.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 09, 2013, 07:29:27 AM

Draft: early Xavier Rhodes, Logan Ryan, Jordan Poyer, mid Leon McFadden, Will Davis or late Nigel Malone

Veterans Free Agents:Keenan Lewis or DJ Moore preferably both with a high pick on Rhodes or Ryan and a mid to late rounder on one of the other prospects...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 09, 2013, 08:05:32 AM

Exactly Chace.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Options for corner. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools