Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are the Bucs really going to run the same defense next year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#45 : January 10, 2013, 12:08:53 AM

I, for one, hope that we do not change the scheme wholesale.  Number one run D is not something to shake your head at, regardless of whether the league is trending toward passing offenses.  Talent upgrades WILL help the pass D, and yes I think the blitz packages need to be reworked.  If Schiano is as stubborn as many think, and I believe there is some truth to this, I hope he at least examines how he does what he does. 

Is he going to continue to stunt and use a lot of blitzes with one on one CB/WR assignments?  I am sure he will.  I just hope that he takes a long look this offseason on how successful stunts work, and the same for blitzing.

The truth is we don't have enough body of evidence to truly judge Schiano on his flexibility.  He schemed it the way he did for 2012, and stuck to his guns for better (run D) and worse (pass D).  Though he made few changes in season, now is his opportunity to show how flexible he can be, when given time to perform a full self/team evaluation with a season's worth of tape on this scheme. 

I think that Schiano is in a similar situation to Freeman as regards this pass Defense.  IF it ranks 32 again next year, I think he should be out of here.  I am willing to give him 2013 to prove it, though. 

And honestly, I think it will improve.

gone

Hall of Famer
#46 : January 10, 2013, 01:22:40 AM

I, for one, hope that we do not change the scheme wholesale.  Number one run D is not something to shake your head at, regardless of whether the league is trending toward passing offenses. 

Number one D is nice, if taken in a vacuum.  If that run D comes at the expense of pass D, then it's not something you want.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#47 : January 10, 2013, 03:15:06 PM

I, for one, hope that we do not change the scheme wholesale.  Number one run D is not something to shake your head at, regardless of whether the league is trending toward passing offenses.  Talent upgrades WILL help the pass D, and yes I think the blitz packages need to be reworked.  If Schiano is as stubborn as many think, and I believe there is some truth to this, I hope he at least examines how he does what he does. 

Is he going to continue to stunt and use a lot of blitzes with one on one CB/WR assignments?  I am sure he will.  I just hope that he takes a long look this offseason on how successful stunts work, and the same for blitzing.

The truth is we don't have enough body of evidence to truly judge Schiano on his flexibility.  He schemed it the way he did for 2012, and stuck to his guns for better (run D) and worse (pass D).  Though he made few changes in season, now is his opportunity to show how flexible he can be, when given time to perform a full self/team evaluation with a season's worth of tape on this scheme. 

I think that Schiano is in a similar situation to Freeman as regards this pass Defense.  IF it ranks 32 again next year, I think he should be out of here.  I am willing to give him 2013 to prove it, though. 

And honestly, I think it will improve.
I agree Doc, I am glad we were able to improve the run D that much in one year.  If we can't bring the pass D up to at least average next year, then the scheme is crap.  Though the NFL is a Not For Long league, I don't think any coach could have fixed all of our issues in one season.  I'm satisfied, not thrilled, with what we got last year, but expect the same amount of improvement this year, or let's bring in someone who can.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#48 : January 10, 2013, 03:25:08 PM

I don't think any coach could have fixed all of our issues in one season.  I'm satisfied, not thrilled, with what we got last year, but expect the same amount of improvement this year,

agree.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#49 : January 10, 2013, 03:40:38 PM

For those of you who ridicule Schiano for his coaching background, the man was a HC for over a decade. He did not get fired. He made the choice to move on to bigger challenges. He left a program in much better shape than he found.
Rutgers is, and always was, an academic institution. They're in a conference known more for it's football factories. The fact that he never won a conference championship has much more to do with the players' credentials than his ability to coach. His players had to be literate. You can't equate ability with the level a coach competes.

What does all that mean? Why don't you compare Schiano to a great head coach, Jim Harbaugh. Both inherited bad programs. Both had to recruit players with very high academic standards. Now compare them. Why did Jim Harbaugh succeed with flying colors in the exact situation that Schiano was in? Why was Schiano unable to take his team over the hump? Schiano has always been an average coach. When compared to greatness, he falls very, very short of the mark.

On top of that, success in college doesn't equate to success in the NFL. Everything he accomplished in college means nothing anymore. Schiano is NOT a proven NFL coach. His scheme IS proven. It has been proven it won't work at the NFL level. If this defense doesn't change, you will have a repeat of this years failures next year. 

The schools aren't comparable and the conferences aren't comparable. Stanford had success before Harbaugh. Rutgers hadn't played in a bowl game in decades. On the basis of their first year NOBODY has ever been a proven NFL coach. At least give the man two years before you declare him a failure. There's a thread here somewhere with the records of some HOF coaches listed. By your standards very few would measure up. Judging you by your posts, you're a troll, and it doesn't take further research to reach that conclusion.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#50 : January 10, 2013, 03:54:59 PM

For those of you who ridicule Schiano for his coaching background, the man was a HC for over a decade. He did not get fired. He made the choice to move on to bigger challenges. He left a program in much better shape than he found.
Rutgers is, and always was, an academic institution. They're in a conference known more for it's football factories. The fact that he never won a conference championship has much more to do with the players' credentials than his ability to coach. His players had to be literate. You can't equate ability with the level a coach competes.

What does all that mean? Why don't you compare Schiano to a great head coach, Jim Harbaugh. Both inherited bad programs. Both had to recruit players with very high academic standards. Now compare them. Why did Jim Harbaugh succeed with flying colors in the exact situation that Schiano was in? Why was Schiano unable to take his team over the hump? Schiano has always been an average coach. When compared to greatness, he falls very, very short of the mark.

On top of that, success in college doesn't equate to success in the NFL. Everything he accomplished in college means nothing anymore. Schiano is NOT a proven NFL coach. His scheme IS proven. It has been proven it won't work at the NFL level. If this defense doesn't change, you will have a repeat of this years failures next year. 

Good post.   Schiano is no Harbaugh.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#51 : January 10, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

I don't think any coach other than Jon Gruden could have fixed all of our issues in one season.  I'm satisfied, not thrilled, with what we got last year, but expect the same amount of improvement this year,

agree.

You could be right.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#52 : January 10, 2013, 04:50:34 PM

its just a shame jon gruden got scared and quit.  so much he could have given to the game, just selfish.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

gone

Hall of Famer
#53 : January 10, 2013, 05:42:54 PM

its just a shame jon gruden got scared and quit.  so much he could have given to the game, just selfish.

The league obviously blackballed him, can't have him and Belicheck in the superbowl every year, not fair to the other teams.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#54 : January 10, 2013, 10:31:09 PM

The league obviously blackballed him, can't have him and Belicheck in the superbowl every year, not fair to the other teams.
I doubt they let Gruden back into the league until Belicheck retires.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#55 : January 11, 2013, 01:44:02 AM

The schools aren't comparable and the conferences aren't comparable. Stanford had success before Harbaugh. Rutgers hadn't played in a bowl game in decades. On the basis of their first year NOBODY has ever been a proven NFL coach. At least give the man two years before you declare him a failure. There's a thread here somewhere with the records of some HOF coaches listed. By your standards very few would measure up. Judging you by your posts, you're a troll, and it doesn't take further research to reach that conclusion.

Harbaugh inherited a terrible 1-11 team. He improved every year and had them at 12-1 by the time he left with a .583 win pct, better than Schiano and Schiano had a decade at Rutgers vs. Harbaugh's five years.

What in the hell does hall of fame coaches have to do with THIS conversation?

I'm assuming that anyone who presents you with the undeniable facts is a troll. More likely your thought process goes like this. Can't win conversation, Grimmy must be a troll!! You are pathetic for playing the troll card. utterly pathetic. Toes on the line. Sparky. You are out of line son.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#56 : January 11, 2013, 01:47:01 AM

I don't think any coach could have fixed all of our issues in one season.  I'm satisfied, not thrilled, with what we got last year, but expect the same amount of improvement this year,

agree.

Really? Jim Harbaugh? Marty?

Believe it or not, there are head coaches out there who can turn a program around on a dime, especially if they had the talent this team has.

As per usual. Nothing but freaking excuses from this bunch.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#57 : January 11, 2013, 07:44:47 AM

agree.

Really? Jim Harbaugh? Marty?

Believe it or not, there are head coaches out there who can turn a program around on a dime, especially if they had the talent this team has.

As per usual. Nothing but freaking excuses from this bunch.

From 4-12 to 7-9 ....that means we are on pace to be 10-6 next season. I'm good with that sort of turnaround  , Mr. Impatient.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#58 : January 11, 2013, 10:45:51 AM

Harbaugh inherited a terrible 1-11 team. He improved every year and had them at 12-1 by the time he left with a .583 win pct, better than Schiano and Schiano had a decade at Rutgers vs. Harbaugh's five years.

What in the hell does hall of fame coaches have to do with THIS conversation?

I'm assuming that anyone who presents you with the undeniable facts is a troll. More likely your thought process goes like this. Can't win conversation, Grimmy must be a troll!! You are pathetic for playing the troll card. utterly pathetic. Toes on the line. Sparky. You are out of line son.

You assume a lot and you cherry pick your "facts". You ignore anything positive and accentuate the negative on any topic relating to the Bucs. That qualifies you as a troll.

I can only assume you are ugly and your Mommy dresses you funny. Only a very disturbed person exhibits such antisocial behavior on a MB. You need a hug. I hope you have someone willing to give you several.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#59 : January 11, 2013, 05:02:16 PM

This defense would be much better with two things. A passrush and some corners.

Tackling isn't an issue anymore. It's more or less, getting to the QB and stopping passes on third downs.

If Schiano can now somehow fix those two problems, or at least one of the two, I think we have a very good defense.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are the Bucs really going to run the same defense next year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools