Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman's rushing totals plunged from 364 yards in 2010 to ....139 last season, « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#45 : January 16, 2013, 10:08:00 AM

If that winging-it stuff is the way it is for Josh (And you guys may very well be right) then it sounds like this is not the perfect offense for him.  This offense sounds like it requires a lot of thought, and works better for a cerebral QB, which JF probably is not.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#46 : January 16, 2013, 02:55:28 PM

I wish someone would just ask Schiano or even Freeman, whats the deal with the no running allowed for #5.

Something is going on, Schiano has commented on it a bit, but IIRC all he said was ....he [Freeman] is allowed to make that decision.  I guess they are afraid he ends up like RG III.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#47 : January 16, 2013, 03:00:42 PM

I wish someone would just ask Schiano or even Freeman, whats the deal with the no running allowed for #5.

Something is going on, Schiano has commented on it a bit, but IIRC all he said was ....he [Freeman] is allowed to make that decision.  I guess they are afraid he ends up like RG III.

He has always done a good job of either getting down or avoiding contact. Even if he matched the run totals that he did in 2010, the chances of him getting hit like RG3 did this past year would be pretty low, I would think.

Hopefully the coaching staff re-evaluates their position on the subject, if they are in fact, telling him to stay in the pocket.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 16, 2013, 03:05:01 PM

He has always done a good job of either getting down or avoiding contact. Even if he matched the run totals that he did in 2010, the chances of him getting hit like RG3 did this past year would be pretty low, I would think.

Hopefully the coaching staff re-evaluates their position on the subject, if they are in fact, telling him to stay in the pocket.

Oh absolutely,  he is a big dude, hell.... Russell Wilson is a little dude and he runs his azz off.  I just don't get the hesitation.  It would really open up his game to just be a threat of running more.

gone

Hall of Famer
#49 : January 16, 2013, 03:30:23 PM

This has nothing to do with Rutgers.  We were already talking about him not rushing in 2011 because Olson was trying to turn him into  a pocket QB.  If you look at the change it started in 2011.  He has one game that year where he has 10 runs which skews the dataset.  But for the most part you see him running abut two or three times fewer each game until the last few games.

There is no fear of him getting RGIII'ed -- RGIII ran 120 times.  Wilson ran over 90.  Josh ran 39 times and almost half of those attempts came in just 3 games.  Take away those three games (hey, if his apologists can pick and chose, why can't I?) and he has scrambled less than either of those scrambling devils, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.  He has just almost completely abandoned that part of his game.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 16, 2013, 04:04:18 PM

This has nothing to do with Rutgers.  We were already talking about him not rushing in 2011 because Olson was trying to turn him into  a pocket QB.  If you look at the change it started in 2011.  He has one game that year where he has 10 runs which skews the dataset.  But for the most part you see him running abut two or three times fewer each game until the last few games.

There is no fear of him getting RGIII'ed -- RGIII ran 120 times.  Wilson ran over 90.  Josh ran 39 times and almost half of those attempts came in just 3 games.  Take away those three games (hey, if his apologists can pick and chose, why can't I?) and he has scrambled less than either of those scrambling devils, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.  He has just almost completely abandoned that part of his game.

Do what needs to be done. Might as well fight fire with fire.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#51 : January 16, 2013, 04:12:04 PM

It's common when studying statistics to eliminate outliers.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

gone

Hall of Famer
#52 : January 16, 2013, 04:16:31 PM

Considering that they typically ignore 20 to 40% of the datasets, they aren't eliminating outliers.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#53 : January 16, 2013, 04:23:21 PM

You know what I really liked so far about watching Wilson and Kap is they keep their feet moving AND keep their eyes down field. Freeman was doing that in 2010 a lot and he was pretty good at it. Not as quick as those other guys but he would be efficient with it. I also think he needs to add some of that bulk back. He was tough to bring down before because he was a bigger and heavier guy. Im not saying he needs to gain the 4th meal or anything but add some bulk. He did a great job losing that weight but now he needs to build on that. Which he can do. Whatever happened to those drills they were talking about where Freeman would avoid the rush and set up to throw deep. I saw none of that last season. It is year one of him being in this system so maybe he figures that out better as he goes. I dont know. Hes got the ability. I just want to see him put it together.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#54 : January 16, 2013, 04:38:52 PM

Who cares if he is running? I don't care if he runs for 10 yards all year. There is no correlation between running QBs and success.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#55 : January 16, 2013, 04:45:02 PM

I do care if he isnt running when there is nobody open and an open lane to run to. Keeping plays alive can keep the drive alive. Simple as that.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#56 : January 16, 2013, 05:02:03 PM

Mobility is part of the package that keeps getting sold to us and is a portion of the potential. His ability to run helped him be successful in his best year as a Buc. No one wants Josh to be a "running QB", somewhere in between a runner like RG3 and a pocket guy like Dalton or Rivers would be nice.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#57 : January 16, 2013, 05:03:45 PM

If that winging-it stuff is the way it is for Josh (And you guys may very well be right) then it sounds like this is not the perfect offense for him.  This offense sounds like it requires a lot of thought, and works better for a cerebral QB, which JF probably is not.

Which is why a 2nd year in the same offense , so decisions become more 2nd nature for him , should help. Hopefully.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#58 : January 16, 2013, 06:47:59 PM

I agree DJ, 2013 is setting up as the perfect year to evaluate JFree's current ability level and significant body of work, in order to form a valid opinion of his future with this team.

I hope that most people here hope he succeeds, I know I do.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#59 : January 16, 2013, 06:51:01 PM

Who cares if he is running? I don't care if he runs for 10 yards all year. There is no correlation between running QBs and success.

so extending drives is meaningless in your eyes?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman's rushing totals plunged from 364 yards in 2010 to ....139 last season, « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools