Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS JACKSON TO REPLACE JOHNSON IN THE PRO BOWL « previous next »
Page: 1 2

J-Train

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 15, 2013, 10:02:34 PM

Happy late Birthday! (His birthday was yesterday the 14th!)

One of the biggest Prob Bowl snubs of the year gets in anyway. Congrats VJAX!!

Thanks for the sig Java!

cryptfiend

Starter

#16 : January 15, 2013, 10:12:03 PM

I never understood why being an alternative is considered making it to the pro bowl. Not trying to be a jerk, but VJax didn't make the pro bowl. Nice that he was a runner up and now gets a free trip to Hawaii, but he didn't actually make the pro bowl. I just don't get why going as an alternate is equated to actually being voted to the Pro Bowl. It's not the same thing....yet people will now claim that VJax made the Pro Bowl in 2012.

It's not VJax in particular. I've just always had a pet peeve about it.

If you are put on IR, you are ineligible for the pro bowl.  In situations such as this, think of Calvin Johnson as being on IR, with no games remaining in the season.  Instead of having to revote the entire process, they just select the next person up...VJax.  I would say that makes him a legitimate pro bowler.  Think about it like this.  Without the toe injury, Nicks had the name recognition and was playing well enough to make the pro bowl.  He went on IR and so someone else could make the pro bowl.  Is that person not a legitimate pro bowler?  Should Jackson really be penalized just because Calvin Johnson became ineligible to play (as in, he's having surgery) AFTER the vote, rather than BEFORE it?

there are other situations where people just decide not to play.  That is a different animal entirely, and I'm not sure how I feel about the people who make the pro bowl that way.  But i guess in the end, when you think of the whole season as a series of events...and the culmination of those events being the pro bowl (and eligibility for it)...if a guy doesnt want to go because hes old, or whatever other reason...and you were the next person up...that is still a case of being in the right place at the right time.  if someone ELSE had made the pro bowl, he might not have quit out...etc etc.

TLDR, situations like vjax...yes, definitely a probowler...no question.  the other situation...eh.  maybe?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 16, 2013, 01:17:34 AM

Just because a player made the probowl, doesn't exactly make them the best players out there. Ask the redskins fans about that one if you don't believe me.

Heck, the OROY, OPOY, DPOY and DROY all should be held in higher regard than the probowl nods. The probowl itself isn't exactly reputable in regards to talent anymore.

Thing is, Tampa could use that anyway. Having their name out there is good. More probowlers/replacement probowlers with bucs helmets out there, the better.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 16, 2013, 01:25:53 AM

I never understood why being an alternative is considered making it to the pro bowl. Not trying to be a jerk, but VJax didn't make the pro bowl. Nice that he was a runner up and now gets a free trip to Hawaii, but he didn't actually make the pro bowl. I just don't get why going as an alternate is equated to actually being voted to the Pro Bowl. It's not the same thing....yet people will now claim that VJax made the Pro Bowl in 2012.

It's not VJax in particular. I've just always had a pet peeve about it.

If you are put on IR, you are ineligible for the pro bowl.  In situations such as this, think of Calvin Johnson as being on IR, with no games remaining in the season.  Instead of having to revote the entire process, they just select the next person up...VJax.  I would say that makes him a legitimate pro bowler.  Think about it like this.  Without the toe injury, Nicks had the name recognition and was playing well enough to make the pro bowl.  He went on IR and so someone else could make the pro bowl.  Is that person not a legitimate pro bowler?  Should Jackson really be penalized just because Calvin Johnson became ineligible to play (as in, he's having surgery) AFTER the vote, rather than BEFORE it?

there are other situations where people just decide not to play.  That is a different animal entirely, and I'm not sure how I feel about the people who make the pro bowl that way.  But i guess in the end, when you think of the whole season as a series of events...and the culmination of those events being the pro bowl (and eligibility for it)...if a guy doesnt want to go because hes old, or whatever other reason...and you were the next person up...that is still a case of being in the right place at the right time.  if someone ELSE had made the pro bowl, he might not have quit out...etc etc.

TLDR, situations like vjax...yes, definitely a probowler...no question.  the other situation...eh.  maybe?
That's a totally different scenario.
The Pro Bowl is meant to be for the best players of the entire season, Nicks didn't last the entire season, Megatron did.

As for Jax, congrats, great season but it's not a real Pro Bowl selection, others were more deserving than him.
Megatron - record breaking year
Marshall - had more yards & TDs
Bryant - 2 fewer yards but easily offset by 4 more TDs. 3rd best NFC wideout yet somehow ends up behind 5th placed Jax
Jones - I'll take the extra 2 TDs he had than the 186 extra yards Jax had.
Cases could be made for Cruz (who should have been an alternate at best not an actual Pro Bowler) or Colston going instead of Jax too.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 16, 2013, 01:34:55 AM

Yeah, but when saying "the best", we're still not using just stats in regard to the probowl.

I mean, really... think about what vjax brought... immidiate threat that continued on the entire season, made his surrounding cast look better, had a very nice statistical season even though he was in a new place/home/team/and system.

Now, I'm not saying others aren't more deserving, but I am saying vjax more than did his job this season.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#20 : January 16, 2013, 12:18:17 PM

I think he should of been selected over Julio Jones anyways, glad to see him get in.
JDouble I also agree with your take on alternates not really being pro-bowlers, but I disagree on Martin a bit. I think he should have been selected ahead of Gore, but I think the rookie from the Redskins should have been in from of both of them. He's getting shafted.

cryptfiend

Starter

#21 : January 17, 2013, 05:23:26 PM

season isnt over until the pro bowl is played.  Johnson was injured and could not make it to the pro bowl, thus making him ineligible...just like every other injured player.  Gronkowski was just put on IR...he is ineligible for the pro bowl, even if New England doesnt go to the super bowl.  Whoever is next gets to go in his place...all of gronkowski's votes are voided.

I think the exact same situation applies with johnson, they just don't have to actually move him to the IR list since they don't need to free up a roster spot in case they DO make it further than they are.  Johnson is on IR for all intents and purposes.  He isnt on the ballot, and all votes cast for him are null.  Next man up is vjax.

Like I said...its the guys who say 'eh...im too old to play' that make me wonder.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 17, 2013, 08:42:48 PM

I hope Doug makes it also

when the 9ers pimp slap the dirty birds this wknd, Martin will go in place of Gore.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS JACKSON TO REPLACE JOHNSON IN THE PRO BOWL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools