Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dexter Jackson the last defensive player to win Super Bowl MVP « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 17, 2013, 12:07:03 AM »

There’s No D in “National Football League”: Does Defense Still Win Championships?

.By Russell S. Baxter | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 6 hours ago.. .

Two weeks into the 2012 NFL postseason and it's hard to figure what we're going to see next.

In the wild-card round, points were a little tough to come by for all eight teams, to say the least. The Packers, Ravens and Seahawks all scored 24 points in their respective wins over the Vikings, Colts and Redskins, who combined for all of 33 points. It was even worse at Houston, where the Texans and Bengals combined for one offensive touchdown, one interception for a score and six field goals. And no contest exceeded a combined total of 38 points.

But what a difference seven days makes. Last Saturday and Sunday, eight teams combined for 276 points, more than the Chiefs (211), Cardinals (20) and Jaguars (255) scored during the regular season. In losing efforts, the Broncos (35), Packers (31), Seahawks (28) and Texans (28) combined for an average of 31.5 points per contest.

So what's the point?

More precisely, it's about the points.

As the Falcons, 49ers, Ravens and Patriots each hope that their travel plans for New Orleans won't go to waste, what kind of football will we see this Sunday? Will it be more of the same from the divisional round when defenses took a holiday? Or back to what we saw in the opening round of the postseason?

And just what of Super Bowl XLVII? Should we expect a shootout of sorts between any two of these four teams? Are we officially out of the "defense wins championship" business in the modern-day NFL?

Well, let's not be so hasty to close the door. True, we haven't had a defensive player named Super Bowl MVP in 10 years, when Buccaneers' safety Dexter Jackson turned the trick for Tampa in Super Bowl XXXVII. However, in each of the last four Super Bowls, we have seen the defense take matters into their own hands.

Who could forget Steelers' linebacker James Harrison's 100-yards interception return on the final play of the first half of Pittsburgh's win over the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII? In each of the next two showdowns, Saints' cornerback Tracy Porter and Packers' safety Nick Collins picked off passes and returned them for touchdowns. And last year, the Giants' pass rush influenced Tom Brady into an intentional grounding penalty and put two points on the board for Tom Coughlin's team.

Still, we hear this is a quarterback-driven league and the numbers these performers are putting up these days are impressive. In 2012, an NFL record 11 signal-callers threw for 4,000 or more yards and there was another league mark set in terms of 300-yard passing performances (126).

And consider what we've already seen for next season when it comes to the teams that have already changed head coaches. Six of the eight vacancies have been filled and all six by coaches with offensive backgrounds.

So we ask the question: Does defense still win a championship? That premise may be on the verge of receiving its biggest test to date.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 17, 2013, 12:53:27 AM »

And I doubt it changes this year.

2013 Super Bowl MVP..............Colin Kaepernick......160 yards rushing, 3 TD's.  0 Int.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 17, 2013, 01:01:36 AM »

2013 Super Bowl MVP..............Colin Kaepernick......160 yards rushing, 3 TD's.  0 Int.

has the MVP ever come from a losing team? Brady will hoist #4.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 17, 2013, 01:02:30 AM »

That post-game interview was pretty bad. 

gone

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 17, 2013, 01:05:06 AM »

9ers have a shot against them.  That D can hold Brady down and I think Kap can keep up with a less than optimal Tom.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #5 : January 17, 2013, 01:08:10 AM »

9ers have a shot against them.  That D can hold Brady down and I think Kap can keep up with a less than optimal Tom.

That D hasn't held anybody down in weeks..... as in 30 pts per game over the last month.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 17, 2013, 01:12:07 AM »

That D hasn't held anybody down in weeks..... as in 30 pts per game over the last month.

Part of that was Smith being out, he is back now .

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 17, 2013, 02:52:33 AM »

Only once in the history of the Super Bowl.   Cowboy Chuck Howley....Super Bowl V

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 17, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »

The rules are more in favor for the offenses than they have ever been in the NFL's history. It's one of the main reasons I don't believe in "conservative" football anymore.

Toss it up and get PI, offsides, holding, or roughing the passer every other down. Heck, someone might even lead with a helmet.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 17, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »

The rules are more in favor for the offenses than they have ever been in the NFL's history. It's one of the main reasons I don't believe in "conservative" football anymore.

Toss it up and get PI, offsides, holding, or roughing the passer every other down. Heck, someone might even lead with a helmet.

Agree. I think that was one thing you saw Schiano change last year. Maybe it was he was conservative because the offense wasnt fully established yet and you gotta take care of the ball if thats the case. Im sure he knew the defense needed lots of work as well. They opened up the more they went. I think as we improve this defense the less conservative they will be.

PewterG@tor

Starter
« #10 : January 17, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »

You guys are all wrong.  Ed Reed has been laying in the weeds since the playoffs started.  Ed Reed is the newest defensive Super Bowl MVP in his first ever trip with 2 pick sixes.  Ravens 37 Niners 34!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 17, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »

You guys are all wrong.  Ed Reed has been laying in the weeds since the playoffs started.  Ed Reed is the newest defensive Super Bowl MVP in his first ever trip with 2 pick sixes.  Ravens 37 Niners 34!

Link or it didn't happen.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 17, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »

Link or it didn't happen.

Ed racked up a lot of penalties this season.  Staying in the game,  would be more of a challenge than MVP honors.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 18, 2013, 12:42:54 AM »

Super Bowl MVP this year will be Matty Ice.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 18, 2013, 12:58:42 AM »

Super Bowl MVP this year will be Matty Ice.

Well, he certainly has a much better chance than Tebow does. That's for sure.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dexter Jackson the last defensive player to win Super Bowl MVP « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools