Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Josh Freeman have the... " it factor " ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#45 : January 17, 2013, 05:33:37 PM

Too bad the offense set the first 30 minutes out of that game and the defense had to keep it close. The entire team failed and lost that game. No way around that.

So Freeman struggled in a 'less meaningfull category', the 1st half, the defense had an average performance while, average league wise.
Freeman over came this, gave this team a two score lead, but the defense blew it in the last 4 minutes, played bad even by its own low standards.

Isn't crunch time more meanigfull in todays NFL? It does not matter how you put points on the board in the 1st 3 quaters, but late in the game, with the game on the line, its a passing league. Freeman is able to move the ball passing, our defense on the other side is not worth mentioning in those kind of situations.
Football becomes more and more like the basketball. Everything is decided in the last few minutes.

But thats the excuse machine you are talking about so much.
If Freeman has a comeback victory, he just was unable to put 'em away earlier. If he puts 'em away early, the opponent just sucked, nothing to be proud of. If he gets his team a lead and his defense blews once again, he should ahve done more before. If he plays the good team close, it just proves how it takes an elite QB to win.
If another QB somehow sneaks into the PO and beats up teams like PHI, ATL, CHI, teams that literally beat themselves, it shows his greatness. If he goes 15&1&done, while a guy like M Flynn outplays him in 'his' very same offense, goes out early int the PO the next year aswell, he gets all the exucse. Bad/lucky plays happen, WR got injured, else he has flashy stats, etc...
Another QB has the #1 defense, who sacked Rodgers 8 times just in the 1st half, but for some odd reason he is allowed to win games by throwing INTs.
Another QB is almost ran out of town, as was his coach, they sneak into the PO, run hot, break a few unwritten laws while and get one of the luckiest SB play ever. When he struggles for a few years, when he does not throw one single TD for 4 straight weeks, he gets all the excuses.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#46 : January 17, 2013, 06:11:28 PM

For me, its not all about his play..... its about how he carries himself. His swag. His confidence. I don't see that from him..... even when he throws an awesome pass like he did vs Carolina. Thats more of an abberration than the norm anyway.

Was listening to an interview with Pete Carroll and he said from the time Wilson walked in the door, he conducted himself like THE guy.... and his teammates gravitated to him. Carroll said that he didn't have to make the decision as to who his QB was...... it was made for him. My point, some guys are just natural leaders of men. Granted... i'm not there but i don't get that from Free.

For me, it's both. Would be nice if we could get QB like that in this upcoming draft with a mid round pick.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#47 : January 17, 2013, 06:48:38 PM

That's what happens when they pretty much stop happening for two years. at least back in 2010, we knew that even if Josh played like crap for 3 qtrs., he would most likely turn it on in the 4th...now...who knows?

Russell Wilson got shut out the entire 1st half in A PLAYOFF GAME, yet you and others slobber all over him.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 17, 2013, 07:01:53 PM

That's what happens when they pretty much stop happening for two years. at least back in 2010, we knew that even if Josh played like crap for 3 qtrs., he would most likely turn it on in the 4th...now...who knows?

Russell Wilson got shut out the entire 1st half in A PLAYOFF GAME, yet you and others slobber all over him.

He isn't blameless in their loss, and I don't pretend like he is either.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#49 : January 17, 2013, 07:46:34 PM

He also isn't 4 yrs in

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 17, 2013, 08:14:42 PM

He also isn't 4 yrs in
Those previous three years don't count since he was in a different offense....  ::)

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#51 : January 17, 2013, 08:25:55 PM

[quote
Unitas couldn't latch on with the Steelers, who hadn't won anything in their first three decades in a league a third the size it is today. They let him go to the Colts where he was an immediate starter when the actual starter went down with a season ending injury.

Terry Bradshaw struggled to beat out his competition. His competition shot himself in the foot with off field issues. Even then the media and the fans (sound familiar?) ridiculed him and made jokes about his intelligence. He's made a fortune, much more than he earned as a player, in broadcasting, movies, and album sales. Stupid -smart and four SB rings later, he's still having fun and making money. (I could see Freeman winning four SB rings, but none of the rest of it.)

Joe Montana landed with a great organization and Bill Walsh who also made Steve Young a HOFer.

John Elway struggled in the big games. IIRC he lost three before he won two. He had a lot of help at RB in the two he won. Great situation more than "it", IMO.

Brett Favre impressed Jerry Glanville so much he traded him to Green Bay. Favre holds the record for interceptions in a playoff game with six. Great entertainer, just couldn't hold a job. ;)  Played for four different teams. Favre holds a lot of records, but we all know records aren't important. It's all about wins.

Peyton Manning clearly took the Colts on his back and carried them to the playoffs year after year. Like Elway, Peyton is a bit of a choker. One Lombardi in all those years. He did it again this year.  HOFer who mostly fell short. Maybe next year.

Tom Brady had a bad situation at Michigan holding the clipboard.  Was he targeted in the 6th round, or was it luck of the draw? We'll never know, but an established coaching staff, with a veteran team, is a great way to start. Great situation.

Dan Marino also had a great situation, and he also set records with it. He had a long illustrious career, but never won a SB. In fact, he lost the only one he ever made it to.

Whether or not Russel has "it" will be debated, but he definitely has a great situation and a great defense to back him up.

Before ihop starts in...........I didn't start this thread and the only way to say anything about this topic has to include QB comparisons.

The Bucs won a SB with Brad Johnson. Eli Manning is living proof that you don't have to have Tom Brady to win a SB, in fact two SBs. Other than the fact that BJ actually won one, his name would never be included as one of the all time greats. His name would be debatable on a list of best Buccaneer QBs. Without that Defense the Bucs don't even make the playoffs, forget about winning the SB. Give Josh Freeman that defense and the Bucs are playing at home this Sunday in the NFCC game.

Freeman may not have "it", and he may never have "it" but he is still far and away our best option. He's the best option we've ever had. He's made the most of a bad situation and that situation is getting better. The Bucs scored more points in Schiano's first year than any other team in franchise history. It's not a stretch to expect even more in his second year. Doug Martin will have a great year behind Nicks and Joseph. So will Freeman. Schiano helped the offense with VJax. There is no doubt he will now focus on helping the defense.

Russell Wilson may be the next Doug Flutie. I don't know and don't really care.  I just want a defense that can stop him. The Bucs can win SBs with Josh Freeman and a decent defense. Freeman doesn't have the experience Brad Johnson had, and he's already more dangerous. I like our odds with him.

In this year's crop Luck did the most with the least, RGIII raised durability issues, and Wilson came out of nowhere. Revisit this topic in 3 or 4 years.

An afterthought........how about Jim Kelly? I haven't seen his name mentioned at all. Four straight appearances in the SB would indicate to me that he had "it". "It" wasn't enough. He lost all four. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer don't have "it", but they both have rings. I believe most fans and every coach who ever lived would take Kelly over those two. They are all three living proof that it's a team game. Not even the great Jim Kelly could carry the Bills. It's debatable whether just any QB could have done the job for the Bucs or Ravens. Neither team made it back to the SB and both Gruden and Billick were eventually fired. It's nice to have "it", it's just not crucial.
[/quote]

Bucstopshere5

Starter
#52 : January 17, 2013, 08:30:31 PM

How quickly we forget all the fourth qtr comebacks.

RIght....Freeman will be just fine next year.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#53 : January 17, 2013, 08:33:15 PM

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer don't have "it", but they both have rings.

Of course, having the #1 defense will do that for ya.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#54 : January 17, 2013, 09:31:28 PM

So all we need is one of the greatest defenses of all time and Freeman can win a championship? Well why didn't you say so! We'll have to start buying turd polish by the truckload...

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#55 : January 17, 2013, 09:44:40 PM

So all we need is one of the greatest defenses of all time and Freeman can win a championship?

I doubt  he could do it even then.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#56 : January 17, 2013, 10:52:10 PM

So all we need is one of the greatest defenses of all time and Freeman can win a championship?

I doubt  he could do it even then.

But Tebow could?    SMH

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#57 : January 17, 2013, 10:58:36 PM

Sometimes, the fish just jump into the boat before you can even cast.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Josh Freeman have the... " it factor " ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools