Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Xavier Rhodes really a good fit as a Bucanneer? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

spurzo

Second String

#45 : January 17, 2013, 03:56:11 PM

Personally I think the positional drills can tell you quite a lot.  Obviously all the film would be nice too but personally I don't have all 22 film for college football games...  You can get a feel for a players level of athleticism.  Sure there's a few Vernon Gholston, Mike Mamula's each year but for the most part high level of athleticism translates well into the league.    A few years ago The USC linebackers showed up at the combine with a lot of hype...  Clay Mathews had the least amount of hype but to anyone who watched, you could see that he was a very rare athlete and could move like a person 30 lbs lighter...  Packers picked him around 27th or 28th...  He'd go top 5 now.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#46 : January 17, 2013, 05:00:25 PM

There are some drills I find helpful. Some of the DB drills can tell you how naturally I guy can turn his hips and run. The 3 cone and shuttle are helpful for seeing a RBs start/stop/change of direction ability. The offenive line drills can expose some of the big fellas, often time answering any questions on whether a guy is a guard or a tackle just by the way he bends and moves.

It's not all useless, but most of it is just nonsense. If they won't make the switch to full pads, at least have them wear shells. Everything would be much more helpful if they did. They need new drills too. Like a gauntlet of guys for the RBs to run thru as everyone tries to knock the ball out. Or have a cone set two feet to the right at the start of the 40. Lets see WRs get around that initial obstacle before running instead of just seeing who can perfect the sprinters stance. Instead of bench reps, how about having linemen push a sled a set distance and then time it.

Basicly, have them where pads and alter the events so they are specific to each position. A 40 shouldn't be the same for a WR as it is for an OT.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Xavier Rhodes really a good fit as a Bucanneer? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools