Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Seahawks GM says team open to offers for backup QB Matt Flynn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 18, 2013, 12:24:13 AM

Seahawks GM says team open to offers for backup QB Matt Flynn

By Evan Hilbert | CBSSports.com

January 16, 2013 2:43 pm ET

The emergence of rookie quarterback Russell Wilson in Seattle paid terrific dividends for the Seahawks. There is one Seahawk, however, whose 2012 season didn't exactly go as planned: backup quarterback Matt Flynn.

Flynn was brought in to be the starter after a couple impressive outings for Green Bay last year, but he was beaten out in the preseason by Wilson, who nearly led the Seahawks to the NFC championship game. Now general manager John Schneider says he will listen to offers for Flynn, who signed a three-year, $26 million contract prior to last season.

"I'd be lying to you if I told you that we wouldn't be listening to people," Schneider told KIRO-AM in Seattle Wednesday, according to NFL.com. "I think we all believe he's a starter in this league, but we structure ourselves in a salary-cap manner where we're in a very good position with him. Having two quarterbacks like that is pretty special. We're going to do what's best for the organization -- period."

This is certainly a good problem to have, though Flynn and Wilson have dissimilar skill sets, which would make transitioning from one quarterback to the other somewhat rocky. Still, Schneider acknowledges that having two good quarterbacks is a luxury and that the team isn't simply trying to unload Flynn.

"This isn't like, 'Now that Russell has done so well, what do we do with Matt?' " Schneider said. "We have two guys under contract that are good."

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : January 18, 2013, 12:39:16 AM

Flynn sucks.   But he'd be an upgrade from Freeman.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 18, 2013, 01:06:17 AM

I don't know if Flynn is good or bad because he's only played like 1 game. I do recal his stats being pretty inflated in his last Packers game. I think there was little dump off pass that someone, maybe Nelson, took to the house. Things of that nature padded his stats. If he was more proven I would be in favor of trading for him. I do have a better feeling about him than I did about Kolb though.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 18, 2013, 01:06:28 AM

Flynn isn't an improvement for anyone.

One of the most overhyped backups in the game today, besides Tebow.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 18, 2013, 01:54:40 AM

Trade them Blount for Flynn straight up. 

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 18, 2013, 04:06:30 AM

I'm surprised the Seahawks could be so wrong on Flynn, but so right about drafting and starting Wilson.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 18, 2013, 08:13:32 AM

I'm surprised the Seahawks could be so wrong on Flynn, but so right about drafting and starting Wilson.

How do you know they were wrong on Flynn?    He didn't get a chance to play.

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

#7 : January 18, 2013, 08:23:55 AM

You literally just said that he sucks.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 18, 2013, 08:27:05 AM

Flynn does suck, but he'd be an upgrade over Freeman.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#9 : January 18, 2013, 08:33:05 AM

Trade them Blount for Flynn straight up.

A double NO. But a M. Lynch and Blount combo would interesting.

MalcolmsPotofGold

Starter

#10 : January 18, 2013, 08:50:45 AM

But,

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 18, 2013, 08:55:57 AM

Who's saying they were wrong? Wilson looked like a top 6 to 8 QB at the end of the year. Flynn got beat out initially and that was the end of it.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 18, 2013, 09:12:31 AM

But,

They were desperate for a QB.   They didn't know they could get Wilson in the draft and how he would look in pre-season.   Signing Flynn was not a mistake.   The Bucs would be smart to sign him.   He's better than Freeman.

And yes, they both suck.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 18, 2013, 09:13:16 AM

Not interested.

I just feel like he is a career backup.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 18, 2013, 09:20:00 AM

You can't fail if you don't try. Seattle also traded for Charlie Whitehurst. In the NFL all that matters is being right. Seattle seems to have a strategy to throw as much crap against the wall as possible and just hope some of it sticks. Charlie Whitehurst and Matt Flynn didn't stick, but Russell Wilson did, and that's all that matters.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Seahawks GM says team open to offers for backup QB Matt Flynn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools