Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Callahan sabotaged the Superbowl so his friend could win....Tim Brown « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #75 : January 22, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »

What it sounds like is a couple of guy who just couldn't believe they could possibly lose that game, let alone in the fashion they did, and after time they have gone back, looked at their memories, made connections that really weren't there, and soothed a still-open wound with this story.

Probably. Hell, Zack Crockett said he was happy to be playing Tampa.

He claimed that had they had their starting C....it would have been like Notre Dame(Bucs) v. Alabama(Oakland).

What an idiot.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #76 : January 22, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »

Quite the topic on talk radio today.  As others have mentioned, Jerry Rice supports Tim's claims.   Much ado about nothing IMO.

But it makes them look like azz clowns.

LOL!   I don't agree with you often, but you are spot on.   

You're prone to momentary sensibility.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #77 : January 22, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »

2002 Raiders coaches will face inevitable questions about Tim Brown’s accusations

Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2013, 8:35 PM EST

More and more Raiders players are chiming in on receiver Tim Brown’s accusation regarding former coach Bill Callahan’s motivation for switching the offensive game plan two days before the start of Super Bowl XXXVII.

Eventually, members of the 2002 Raiders coaching staff will face questions about the situation.

Cowboys offensive coordinator Bill Callahan declined to address the situation at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday.  But that was before Hall of Famer Jerry Rice corroborated Brown’s views — and before Brown elaborated on them during an appearance on Tuesday’s Pro Football Talk.  (Here’s the full transcript.)  At some point, Callahan’s silence becomes almost as damning as an admission.

Other members of the 2002 Raiders staff likely can expect to face questions, sooner or later.  Senior offensive assistant Marc Trestman was hired last week to coach the Bears; per Paul Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, Trestman also declined comment on Tuesday.  Bears offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer served as assistant offensive line coach on Callahan’s staff, and Bears running backs coach Skip Peete was the running backs coach in Oakland.

Callahan’s staff also included an offensive assistant who was only one season removed from playing.  You may have heard of him.  His name is Jim Harbaugh.

And Jim Harbaugh will be spending a lot of time next week talking to the media, once the 49ers arrive in New Orleans.  Though he may not appreciate fielding questions about the game plan from a 10-year-old Super Bowl, it’s better than getting another question about the fact that he’s facing his brother.

DailyRich68

Starter
« #78 : January 22, 2013, 10:00:21 PM »

Everybody is saying that Brown is doing this to get his name out there with him up for Hall of Fame consideration.  But I'm wondering if this is more to cast a shadow on Warren Sapp's consideration.  That Super Bowl win was arguably the crowning achievement of his career, and it's no secret a lot of people don't like him.  Raising the idea that his defense's shining moment was the result of the other team letting it happen might make Hall voters think even harder about writing his name down.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #79 : January 22, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »

Well since rice agrees with brown I have to think this has some substance
Sucks our one & only sb is tarnished forever :( stupid bill callahan

Go Bucs

westcoastbuc

Second String

« #80 : January 22, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »

Lincoln Kennedy was just on 94.1 sports talk Phil. He did it politely. But he disagreed with everything Tim Brown said. He really disagreed with the word "savatage". He said the Raiders were out-coached and outplayed. About not running. He said they tried to but got no where. They were behind. He said that's when CalahanJob came over and said we need to pass to get back in this. Also blamed B. Robbins but said he thought that was the main reason T. Brown said what he said. That it wasn't just Robbins fault. Kennedy agreed. Said he played his worst game. Gave up two sacks....

One part he said never happened and talked to Brown about it. He said the players never went to Callahan about the changed game plan. That Robbins didn't go off because of that. The hosts asked is it possible just Brown and a couple other Raiders went and talked to Callahan without his knowledge. He said highly unlikely....

Some things I had never heard before. Kennedy said they had problems all week besides being a tired team. One was Marty ****enheimer screwed with the Raiders about being able to use their practice facilities. Also B. Robbins was a nut case all year. He roomed with Robbins. Said the team was close and they would all go out. But they knew something bad was gonna happen when Robbins got plastered (like a bar fight). As soon as the players saw him drunk they all got out of there and tried to get Robbins a ride home before he did something. This one I wondered about myself. He said Tampa had the Raider line calls. But he said just sitting on the sidelines. The Raiders could also see from knowing Gruden's tendencies so well what they were going to call. Said he kept sitting there wondering why the Raiders were not calling plays on D to stop what Tampa was going to do.....

Romo was on the herd. Zack Crockett was on with Mike & Mike. Both disagree with Tim Brown. Especially Romo. He basically said they were screwed when Robbins went off and had to start their long snapper Adam T.....

WestCoastBuc~

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #81 : January 22, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »

Tim Brown is a clown. It's clear that guy has taken too many hits to the head. They went against one of the best defenses of all time and got thrashed. What did  he expect to happen? What coach in their right mind would purposely sabotage his own team in the Super Bowl? That's just dumb.

I say keep giving him a mic and airtime because he is hilarious. Just another jack wagon from Notre Dame.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #82 : January 22, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »

Zack Crockett

Romanowski

Simeon Rice

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #83 : January 23, 2013, 02:02:41 AM »

Bill Callahan “outraged” by Tim Brown’s Super Bowl allegations

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 23, 2013, 12:34 AM EST

It was only going to be a matter of time before newly appointed Dallas Cowboys play-caller Bill Callahan responded to allegations by former Oakland Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown that Callahan sabotaged Super Bowl XXXVII.

Brown has been outspoken this week criticizing how Callahan handled the offensive game plan heading into the game after changing their approach at the last-minute. Fellow Raiders receiver Jerry Rice even supported Brown’s allegations against Callahan.

Callahan released a statement Tuesday night saying he is “shocked” and “saddened” by the claims against him and vehemently denied any wrongdoing.

“There are many people who are disappointed by the outcome of Super Bowl XXXVII, but none more than me,” Callahan said in a statement. “While I fully understand a competitive professional football player’s disappointment when a game’s outcome doesn’t go his team’s way, I am shocked, saddened and outraged by Tim Brown’s allegations and Jerry Rice’s support of those allegations made through various media outlets over the last twenty-four hours.

“To leave no doubt, I categorically and unequivocally deny the sum and substance of their allegations. Like every game I ever coached on the professional or collegiate level, I endeavor to the best of my professional ability to position my team to win. To suggest otherwise, especially at this time when it involves the Super Bowl, is ludicrous and defamatory. I have always honored the spirit of competition that drives us to sport as children and, for the lucky few, sustains us in adulthood.

“Any suggestion that I would undermine the integrity of the sport that I love and dedicated my life to, or dishonor the commitment I made to our players, coaches and fans, is flat out wrong. I think it would be in the best interests of all including the game America loves that these allegations be retracted immediately. I want to extend my personal and my family’s deep appreciation to the coaches, players and fans who have come forward and thoughtfully spoken out against these ill-conceived allegations.”

Callahan calling the claims “defamatory” and demanding they be “retracted immediately” seem to point toward Callahan potentially pursuing legal action against Brown if the nine-time Pro Bowler doesn’t backtrack on his comments. Quarterback Rich Gannon, linebacker Bill Romanowski and tackle Lincoln Kennedy have all come to Callahan’s defense.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #84 : January 23, 2013, 02:35:45 AM »

Callahan calling the claims “defamatory” and demanding they be “retracted immediately” seem to point toward Callahan potentially pursuing legal action against Brown if the nine-time Pro Bowler doesn’t backtrack on his comments. Quarterback Rich Gannon, linebacker Bill Romanowski and tackle Lincoln Kennedy have all come to Callahan’s defense.

Good.   I hope he sues Brown and Rice for millions and wins.

apkbuc

Practice Squad

« #85 : January 23, 2013, 02:44:58 AM »

Rewatched the Super Bowl (Had a tape that I transferred to DVD some years ago)....

Couple things:

1.  At one point in the mid 2nd quarter they cut to Jerry Porter and Tim Brown on the sidelines saying "man, I'd like to see if they can stop the run.  I want to see their insides... their guts.  They can rush the passer, but can they stop the run?"
2.  The raiders brought out their jumbo package, with Crocket and an extra lineman at tight end with about 5 minutes left  in the 1st quarter at midfield to start a drive... and promptly went 3 and out.
3.  Their run game never really did much, I don't have the stats in front of me but I would be shocked if they averaged 3 yards a carry.

Also, there's a clip of Gruden from HBO's inside the NFL (which i also taped and put on the same dvd) with the sounds from the game.  At one point Gruden goes "Man you can't even run block, no wonder you keep throwing" or something to that effect.

The Raider's runs were not effective in the game.

What WAS effective was the few times their line held up to our rush and they ran 2 post receivers at Lynch (a traditional Cover 2 beater).
« : January 23, 2013, 02:53:38 AM apkbuc »

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #86 : January 23, 2013, 02:47:54 AM »

I sure wish the Bucs still had Lynch in his prime rather than that lame Barron dude.

apkbuc

Practice Squad

« #87 : January 23, 2013, 02:57:11 AM »

9 seconds left in first quarter, raiders have 3rd and 2 from our 40.  Great running down... but on 2nd and 2 we stuff them for no gain.  So they throw it.  It's Dexter Jackson's first int of the game.

Also, I know their offense was only 18th in the league in rushing, but according to some graphics shown during the game, Garner averaged 5.3 ypc on that season.

I don't think this was sabotage, I think it was panic.  The runs I've seen we stuffed.  And once we were up, the panic set in.  We chewed a LOT of clock (remember Mike Pittmans out of nowhere 125 yards and the A-Train's unheralded blocking as a fullback that game?).

EDIT:

Continuing to rewatch the game; Raider's first drive of the second quarter, Gannon throws for 9 on first down, Garner rushes for 1 yard for the first (their second first down of the game).  The next play is Jackson's second pick (the infamous Sluggo-Seam play that our entire secondary could basically diagnose from pre-snap.

You know what I never remember about that interception?  We gained one first down and then punted after it.  But we did pen the raiders at their 10.  So on their next drive... deep in their own territory, they go empty backfield.  Monte throws one of his "lol why not" blitzes at them... super unbalanced line as if to DARE Gannon to run.  We put 4 defenders over two of their linemen and only one D-linemen over the weakside.  Ronde blitzes.  It's the kind of thing I imagine Warren Sapp hated, but it works as Gannon has to throw the ball into heavy traffic.  Second down?  Another throw.  And another.  Punt.  If there was a time and place to try to run, this was it.  You're down 6-3, on your own 10 yard-line against a defense that has sacked you twice, batted 2 balls and picked you off twice.  This was TERRIBLE play-calling, and I can sort of understand some of Tim Brown's anger.

However, at this point in the game, the Raiders had a single run longer than 3 yards.  Everything else has been 1-2 yards.  Maybe the could have worn our defense down... but from what I've seen in the first half, our defense got off the ball too fast for them.

The Raider's Punt from this drive nets 17 yards, as the TRUTH gets a decent return.  From there, our run game comes to life.  Pittman gets us down to the 2 on back to back runs, and big 40 fittingly gets the first buccaneers superbowl touchdown.  The raider 3 and out on their own 10 is the catalyst for our first 2 possession lead.  Do you know, I always forget that Sapp was in at TE sealing the backside of our first superbowl touchdown.  Madden even mentions that we ran the pass play to him out of that formation in practice that week.  It would have been epic....  but I'm glad Mike got that touchdown, as fun as  a Sapp score in the superbowl would have been.  I'm enjoying watching this game over again.

The next Raiders possession features two runs b y Garner, for 4 and then -2 yards.  This is the drive with Tim Brown's drop,  with Dwight  Smith giving him the "you waited 14 years for that" treatment.

ONE MORE EDIT:

Here's the boxscore for the superbowl: http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/boxscore/sbxxxvii

We dominated the time of possession.  I don't know if Zack Crocket was their gameplan or not.  He averaged 3 YPC on his 2 carries in the game.

Garner averaged a cool 1.5 YPC.  For a team they rushed for 1.7 YPC with 19 runs.  By halftime, with the way we were running the ball, they HAD to throw.
« : January 23, 2013, 04:09:59 AM apkbuc »

westcoastbuc

Second String

« #88 : January 23, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »

apkbuc,
  you should look into getting this for yourself...

http://www.amazon.com/Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-2002-Playoffs/dp/B000X3UIYW/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1358947774&sr=1-3&keywords=buccaneers+dvd

WestCoastBuc~

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #89 : January 23, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

i freaking HATE backpedalers. If you say it, own it......

Tim Brown: I never said Bill Callahan sabotaged the Super Bowl

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 23, 2013, 11:50 AM EST

Former Raiders receiver Tim Brown is backtracking from his suggestions that his old coach Bill Callahan sabotaged the team in Super Bowl XXXVII.

“I have never said that he sabotaged the game,” Brown said Wednesday morning on the Dan Patrick Show. “All I’m saying is, all I was saying after the game was, you know, the question was asked about this situation, but no one ever said — and I said on the radio show last Saturday night — that’s something that could never be proven. We can’t go inside the mind of Bill Callahan and say, ‘Oh, yeah, we knew exactly what he was thinking, what he was trying to do.’ All I’m saying is, the question was asked. But of course the media hears ‘sabotage’ and ‘Bill Callahan’ and ‘throwing the football game,’ now they’re saying ‘Throwing the football game’ and that terminology was never used. But that wasn’t the intent.”

If you’re having a hard time following Brown’s line of thinking there, you’re not alone. Brown started this whole thing by saying in a radio interview on Saturday that he believes Callahan “hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend can win the Super Bowl.” Brown acknowledged in the interview that he couldn’t prove it, but just because Brown admits he can’t prove the allegation doesn’t mean he didn’t make the allegation. Brown did make the allegation.

Brown also says he only made the allegation because he wanted to defend former Raiders center Barrett Robbins, who disappeared on the team the day before the Super Bowl. According to Brown, it was Callahan suddenly changing the game plan on Friday that caused Robbins to go into a panic and leave the team on Saturday.

“The fact of the matter is, this was all about Barrett,” Brown said. “I mean, there were some things being said about Barrett that I felt as if I had to tell the whole story so people could at least put in context what possibly could have happened to the kid two days before the biggest game of his life. But I didn’t say that Bill sabotaged the game. I wouldn’t say that, because that’s not something I would ever have knowledge about. But I have to say that the word was thrown around, not just by myself but by several folks right after the game.”

Brown’s claim about Robbins, however, doesn’t make a lot of sense. Robbins has struggled with mental illness for most of his adult life and has behaved erratically many times. Blaming Callahan for one element of the long history of personal and legal problems that Robbins has had is extremely unfair.

And it’s also extremely unfair for Brown to throw out such a serious allegation against Callahan when he acknowledges that he has no real basis for it. No matter what Brown may say now, he can’t put that toothpaste back in the tube.

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Callahan sabotaged the Superbowl so his friend could win....Tim Brown « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools