Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why BPA Trumps Need Every Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 22, 2013, 10:44:03 AM

the only FA corners im interested in are sean smith and cary williams. maybe keenan lewis if we get a deal on him.

CB needs to be addressed early in the draft no matter what we do in FA. maybe we only need to take 1 instead of 2 or 3 but we have to use the draft to build for the future. lets be real. myron lewis should be gone and im assuming he has a pic of Dom doing something with farm animals since hes still here. gorrer has done nothing to prove he should be on the field. biggers is a rotational guy, maybe a nickel at best. he should NEVER be starting except in an emergency. johnson and gaitor have shown flashes but were late round guys for a reason. they may yet develop into good CBs but at this moment they are guys i only want to see on in relief or paired with vets that can cover up their weaknesses. i like what they bring to the team but cannot be relied on to start at this point

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 22, 2013, 10:57:56 AM

CB needs to be addressed early in the draft no matter what we do in FA.

We do not even NEED to get a cornerback EARLY, i still think we should go BPA. Already a late rounder would be an upgrade to this talentless DB, but he might not be good enough to carry the rest of this team, if we ignore upgrades elsewhere.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 22, 2013, 11:08:05 AM

IF were talking BPA like Eric  Fisher being on the board at 13 and Milliner isn't there, I would take him.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 22, 2013, 11:12:26 AM

IF were talking BPA like Eric  Fisher being on the board at 13 and Milliner isn't there, I would take him.

if fisher is an initial upgrade at RT and future allstar at LT?  why the heck not.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 22, 2013, 11:12:52 AM

I agree.  Obviously his competition hasn't been the best, but the more I watch this guy play, the more I like him. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 22, 2013, 11:13:12 AM

I want to go BPA if we pick up some Dbs in FA.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 22, 2013, 11:16:58 AM

This article is about hindsight being 20/20, not picking the BPA.

Exactly. Just a stupid article. We have no idea who the BPA is at any point in the draft. When you have a solid roster with a few glaring holes, you have to address those holes. Making a weak point stronger will improve your team more than making a strong point stronger. I'd say we go BPA with a defensive back. Drafting another RB in the 1st round would be a waste of pick.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 22, 2013, 11:18:29 AM

We have no idea who the BPA is at any point in the draft.

and theres the rub.  BPA is 99% opinion.  but i certainly agree with the idea of BPA.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 22, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Eric Fisher > Milliner and its not close. taking an elite OT instantly improves our qb play as we can keep freeman calm in the pocket and upright and we can get corners in the 2nd or trading back into the 1st. i actually like this better than corner at 13. i want a corner closer to 20.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 22, 2013, 11:27:51 AM

As far as the draft itself, gotta go BPA, using "need" as a filter. IOW, it's BPA within a range, not STRICTLY BPA. IOW, if I have a real highly rated guy at a position where there's no need and a much lower-rated guy at a position of need, take the better rated guy, or try to trade down. If the BPA is only slightly higher than the guy at position of need, take the latter. As most here know, the GM now has time to sign top-tier FAs before the draft, which may give them a different picture of how to draft.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 22, 2013, 11:33:46 AM

I agree.  Obviously his competition hasn't been the best, but the more I watch this guy play, the more I like him.
He looked pretty good yesterday in the first practice too. He dominated almost everyone he faced in the one on one drills and held his ground against Alex Okafor.

@ Dexmonkey, I'm not saying Milliner is better than Fisher, but CB is a huge need and Milliner is the best CB in this draft, you have to take him at #13. Fisher likely will be a Top 10 pick anyways.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#26 : January 22, 2013, 11:38:09 AM

As far as the draft itself, gotta go BPA, using "need" as a filter. IOW, it's BPA within a range, not STRICTLY BPA. IOW, if I have a real highly rated guy at a position where there's no need and a much lower-rated guy at a position of need, take the better rated guy, or try to trade down. If the BPA is only slightly higher than the guy at position of need, take the latter. As most here know, the GM now has time to sign top-tier FAs before the draft, which may give them a different picture of how to draft.

Great post NDY. This is more of the reality of it.  "BPA with need as a filter" I like that. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 22, 2013, 11:46:41 AM

He looked pretty good yesterday in the first practice too. He dominated almost everyone he faced in the one on one drills and held his ground against Alex Okafor.

Good to hear.  I didn't get to watch their practices yesterday.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 22, 2013, 11:56:25 AM

Great post NDY. I cant wait to see what FAs we pick up so that we can draft BPA and then watch Dom work his magic moving up and down the draft board to get some more starters. If Dom can sign 3 FAs and get 3 starters in the draft thatś obviously plugs the greatest holes. DE, TE, 2CBs, RT, WLB and the rest of the draft for depth. Nicks, Joseph, Clayborn, Bowers, Benn return healthy. Play the season out in 2013, go 10 and 6, fine tune in 2014 and draft for depth and we should be VERY good for a decade with nno gaping holes.
: January 22, 2013, 11:58:40 AM Rusty

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 22, 2013, 12:13:29 PM

The problem is: You don't know who the best player available is in April. So go by need and hope they're the best.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why BPA Trumps Need Every Draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools