Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tim Brown crazy talk about Bucs Raiders SB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

El Diablo

Starter

« : January 22, 2013, 07:48:06 AM »

Watching mike and mike and they are reporting Brown said Callahan sabotaged the game. Please!! Nobody was gonna piss a drop on that defense in the superbowl. 10yrs later and still crying.
« : January 22, 2013, 07:58:19 AM El Diablo »

El Diablo

Starter

« #1 : January 22, 2013, 08:09:31 AM »

Didn't see the other thread posted on this.

GIJoeWasThere

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 22, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »

Re... to the... post

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 22, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »

Getting a lot of talk on local sports radio stations. 

=======
Tim Brown suggests “sabotage” by Bill Callahan in Super Bowl XXXVII

A decade ago, the Raiders’ fate in Super Bowl XXXVII presumably was sealed by the weekend disappearance of center Barret Robbins.  Hall of Fame finalist Tim Brown believes that the blame for the 48-21 loss to the Buccaneers should go to Oakland’s head coach.

“We get our game plan for victory on Monday, and the game plan says we’re gonna run the ball,” Brown said Saturday on SiriusXM NFL Radio, which provided us with the audio.  “We averaged 340 [pounds] on the offensive line, they averaged 280 [on the defensive line].  We’re all happy with that, everybody is excited.  [We] tell Charlie Garner, ‘Look, you’re not gonna get too many carries, but at the end of the day we’re gonna get a victory.  Tyrone Wheatley, Zack Crockett, let’s get ready to blow this thing up.’”

According to Brown, coach Bill Callahan then “blew this thing up” on the Friday before the Super Bowl, changing the game plan from a run-heavy attack to an intent to “throw the ball 60 times.”

“We all called it sabotage . . . because Callahan and [Tampa Bay coach Jon] Gruden were good friends,” Brown said.  “And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders.  You know, only came because Gruden made him come.  Literally walked off the field on us a couple of times during the season when he first got there, the first couple years.  So really he had become someone who was part of the staff but we just didn’t pay him any attention.  Gruden leaves, he becomes the head coach. . . .  It’s hard to say that the guy sabotaged the Super Bowl.  You know, can you really say that?  That can be my opinion, but I can’t say for a fact that that’s what his plan was, to sabotage the Super Bowl.  He hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend can win the Super Bowl.  That’s hard to say, because you can’t prove it.

“But the facts are what they are, that less than 36 hours before the game we changed our game plan.  And we go into that game absolutely knowing that we have no shot.  That the only shot we had if Tampa Bay didn’t show up.”

Brown explained that the change had a specific impact on Robbins.  “Barret Robbins begged Coach Callahan, ‘Do not do this to me.  I don’t have time to make my calls, to get my calls ready.  You can’t do this to me on Friday.  We haven’t practiced full speed, we can’t get this done.’”

Brown tiptoed around the question of whether the change caused Robbins to go off the deep end, suggesting that it had an impact and then explaining that there’s no way to know if it did.  “I’m not saying one had anything to do with the other,” Brown said.  “All I’m saying is those are the facts of what happened Super Bowl week.  So our ire wasn’t towards Barret Robbins, it was towards Bill Callahan.  Because we feel as if he wouldn’t have did what he did, then Barret wouldn’t have done what he did.

“Now, should Barret have manned up and tried to do it?  Absolutely.  But everybody knew Barret was unstable anyway.  So to put him in that situation — not that he was putting him in that situation — but for that decision to be made without consulting the players the Friday before the Super Bowl?  I played 27 years of football.  The coaches never changed the game plan the Friday before the game.  I’m not trying to point fingers at anybody here, all I’m saying is those are the facts of what happened.  So people look at Barret and they say all these things, but every player in that locker room will tell you, ‘You’d better talk to Bill Callahan.’   Because if not for Coach Callahan, I don’t think we’re in that situation.”

Well, we now know what Tim Brown will be asked about next week in New Orleans.  Continuously.

There’s only one potential flaw in Brown’s logic.  He assumes that the new game plan came from Callahan.  Who’s to say that the order to throw the ball 60 times didn’t come from the late Al Davis, who had a special affinity for throwing the football, and also for meddling directly in the coaching of the team?

Thus, while it’s easy to blame Callahan, Callahan may have simply been the messenger.

Regardless, Brown and Callahan and Gruden and quarterback Rich Gannon and anyone/everyone who was part of that team will soon be hearing from reporters and radio/TV producers, just in time for the 10th anniversary of the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/21/tim-brown-suggests-sabotage-by-bill-callahan-in-super-bowl-xxxvi/

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 22, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »

RIch Gannon Takes Tim Brown To Task
January 22nd, 2013

Former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon flatly stated Tim Brown’s suggestion that former Raiders coach Bill Callahan threw the Super Bowl against the Bucs is wrong.

Earlier, Joe brought word that former Oakland Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown suggested former Raiders head coach Bill Callahan threw the Super Bowl against the Bucs because, Brown implied, Callahan was indebted to Chucky and didn’t want to coach the Raiders.

That is such a preposterous statement, Joe doesn’t know where to begin.

Today on his mid-day radio show, “The Blitz,” co-hosted with popular sports radio personality Adam Schein, heard exclusively on SiriusXM NFL Radio, former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon took Brown to task for spreading nonsense and detailed why he thought the Bucs manhandled the Raiders to win the Super Bowl. And it had nothing to do with any coach forcing his team to lay down.

“I don’t’ know that the gameplan really changed. I think what happened was we talked about the best way to beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and we thought that being physical and running the ball, but that was not who we were.

“We tried to run the football early on and we didn’t have much success.

“We didn’t change enough of our plays as far as verbiage at the line of scrimmage. It was a carryover from what Jon Gruden had as far as our run checks and Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks were calling out our runs. That took us out of our no huddle package a little bit. Then when we fell behind, we probably threw too much.

“You win together and you lose together and there was a culture and environment in Oakland at the time that was difficult to compete for championships and a struggle to win on Sundays and I think that is a struggle today. An attitude, an entitlement that we are the Oakland Raiders, the silver and black, all we have to do roll up on Sunday and we will beat you.

“Bill Callahan is a good football coach and a good man and I don’t think thing ever [would] intentionally ever [throw a game], based on a relationship with a former coach… we had too much invested.”

Gannon also said that Barrett Robbins, the Raiders starting center who went on a trip to Mexico and weirded out and was unable to play in the Super Bowl, was hardly the only Raiders to player to “party in Mexico” prior to kickoff.

To hear all of Gannon’s words, click on the yellow button below.

http://www.chatsports.com/tampa-bay-buccaneers/a/Rich-Gannon-Takes-Tim-Brown-To-Task-2-7278295#

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : January 22, 2013, 04:33:14 PM »

Romanowski “flabbergasted” by Tim Brown’s claims
Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2013, 1:21 PM EST

The teammates of former Raiders receiver Tim Brown are starting to speak out regarding his I’m-not-saying-I’m-just-saying-style suggestion that coach Bill Callahan “sabotaged” Super Bowl XXXVII by dramatically changing the game plan two days before kickoff.

Brown said on Twitter on Tuesday that teammates will back him up.

Linebacker Bill Romanowski isn’t one of them.

“I’m absolutely flabbergasted,” Romanowski told Tony Bruno and Jon Marks of 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia.  “Is he trying to be relevant for the Super Bowl?  What is he trying to do?  He absolutely couldn’t be further from the truth.  So you’re saying that a man has a chance to cement himself in history with winning a Super Bowl and he wants to hand it over to his buddy?  Give me a break, OK?  It couldn’t be further from the truth.  He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. And I’ll tell you what, I’m blown away that something like that would come out of an intelligent man’s mouth.”

It’ll be interesting to see if any of Brown’s teammates actually will back him up, especially since the offensive coordinator on that team was new Bears coach Marc Trestman, a hire that “shocked” Tim Brown.

“People want to make themselves more relevant,” Romanowski said.  “Guys for some reason will get on the air and crap will come out of their mouths, and I’m telling you what this is complete crap.”

It’ll be interesting to see what the Hall of Fame voters think about this one in 11 days, when they convene in New Orleans to determine whether Brown’s bronze bust should have a spot in Canton.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/romanowski-flabbergasted-by-tim-browns-claims/

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 22, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »

Jerry Rice agrees with Tim Brown: Bill Callahan sabotaged us

The bizarre controversy over whether former Raiders coach Bill Callahan sabotaged the team by changing the game plan at the last minute has taken another surprising turn, as Jerry Rice has come forward to say he sides with his former teammate Tim Brown in believing that Callahan wanted to lose.

Rice, who was on the Raiders team that lost Super Bowl XXXVII to the Buccaneers, said on ESPN that Callahan disliked his players, disliked his team, and was willing to let his old boss, then-Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, beat him.

“For some reason — and I don’t know why — Bill Callahan did not like me,” Rice said. “In a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided, ‘Maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’”

For Rice, a universally respected player who was named by NFL Network as the greatest in NFL history, to say that he believes one of his former coaches actively wanted to lose a Super Bowl is shocking. ESPN’s Trey Wingo stopped Rice and asked him if he realized the magnitude of the accusation that Callahan once threw the Super Bowl. Rice said he understands the weight of his words.

“Yeah, I know exactly what I’m saying,” Rice said.

Until Brown made his bombshell accusation on Saturday, the biggest controversy to come out of Super Bowl XXXVII was the fact that Raiders center Barrett Robbins abandoned the team the day before the game. Rice blames Callahan for that, too: According to Rice, Robbins was so demoralized by Callahan announcing in a team meeting that he was going to call mostly pass plays that Robbins decided to bail on the Super Bowl.

“With Barrett, he was frustrated, like, ‘You cannot do this to us at the last second.’ Maybe that’s why he decided to not show up,” Rice said.

I have all the respect in the world for Jerry Rice, but blaming Callahan for Robbins’ actions is ridiculous. Robbins is a man who has struggled with mental illness for most of his life. A man who struggles with mental illness is dealing with things much more profound than a coach changing his game plan. Does Rice also blame Callahan for the legal and personal problems that Robbins has had in the decade since his NFL career ended?

Rice also doesn’t seem to accurately remember how that Super Bowl went down. In his ESPN appearance, Rice said Callahan called on the Raiders “to throw the ball over 60 times.” But the Raiders didn’t throw the ball 60 times or even 50 times. They threw 44 times — exactly three more times than they had thrown the ball the week before, when they won the AFC Championship Game.

And that brings us to the strangest part of all this criticism of Callahan: Brown and Rice are insisting that Callahan sabotaged the team by implementing a pass-first offensive game plan. But the Raiders had been a passing team all season: They led the NFL in passing yards that season while ranking 18th in the league in rushing yards and 23rd in the league in rushing attempts.

In other words, Callahan called a lot of passes in the Super Bowl because it was calling a lot of passes that had led them to the Super Bowl in the first place. For Brown and Rice to suggest that Callahan was throwing the Super Bowl because he continued to call a lot of passes just as he had all season long is absolutely ridiculous.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/jerry-rice-agrees-with-tim-brown-bill-callahan-sabotaged-us/

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 22, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »

Now this thread is more interesting than the other one.    It really seems like Rice and Brown were totally butt hurt by that Super Bowl loss.    Haha.   That's great!    2 WR's complaining because their HC wanted to throw the ball to them rather than run the football....

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : January 22, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »

How much of an effect did this have on the outcome of the game, in your opinion?

-------
Robbins checks into hospital, misses game
ESPN.com news services

SAN DIEGO -- The Oakland Raiders held All-Pro center Barret Robbins out of the Super Bowl Sunday after the veteran missed all of the team's activities Saturday.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder that Robbins has checked into a hospital in San Diego, where he has undergone tests that show no illegal drugs in his system. The source said that further tests will be conducted.

Robbins, who has battled depression in his career, entered the hospital in a fragile state of mind, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports.

When contacted for confirmation by ESPN, Robbins' agent, Drew Pittman, said: "My comment is that I have no comment."

In December of 1996, Robbins was hospitalized with a "chemical imbalance complicated by influenza syndrome," then-team doctor Robert Albo told the San Francisco Chronicle. At the time, Robbins was on prescription medication to address a sleeping problem, according to the same '96 Chronicle report.

Doctors later determined that Robbins was suffering from depression.

According to a spokeswoman for the five Scripps hospitals in the San Diego area, including one in LaJolla, where the Raiders are staying, Robbins is not and has not been a patient. And a check of all local hospitals by ESPN did not find Robbins checked in as a patient.

The Scripps spokeswoman, Marg Stark, said there was a medical and emergency plan in place by the NFL to treat players who needed medical attention but did not require hospitalization. These players were to be treated by NFL medical personnel. She said that most likely Robbins was receiving medical treatment under that previously arranged procedure.

Robbins was not with the Raiders for their walk-through Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium. The Raiders' first contact Saturday with Robbins, whose whereabouts that day are not known, was at 8 p.m. PT, shortly before their 8:45 final team meeting. Robbins was told not to attend the meeting.

All coach Bill Callahan told the team during the Saturday night meeting was that Adam Treu would start at center against Tampa Bay and added to his players that "no one is bigger than the team."

Callahan gave no further details to his team.

Raiders owner Al Davis declined comment, saying, "Let's play the game.''

Robbins, who has been bothered by a foot injury for much of the season, had been questionable against the Bucs.

Raiders linebacker Bill Romanowski, interviewed by ABC's Melissa Stark on Sunday, was asked whether the change at center was a distraction to the team. "It really isn't," he said, declining further comment. Raiders players were just finding out this morning that Robbins had been sent home and wouldn't play. The Raiders lost the game 48-21.

When asked about Robbins missing the game, Buccaneers linebacker Derrick Brooks said: "We don't prepare for individuals. We prepare for a team. We don't take backup players lightly. Their job is to come in and play as well as the starter. And we expect that."

Robbins, a 6-foot-3, 320-pound player in his eighth season, was expected to help contain Tampa Bay's formidable defensive front, led by All-Pro tackle Warren Sapp. Robbins anchors a line that gave league MVP Rich Gannon enough time to throw for 4,689 yards and direct the NFL's most potent offense.

Robbins was selected to his first Pro Bowl this season, joining tackle Lincoln Kennedy on the team.

Robbins broke into the Raiders' starting lineup in 1996. He injured his right knee last season and missed the final 14 games. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound Treu took his place.

At the 1989 Super Bowl, fullback Stanley Wilson of the Cincinnati Bengals was found in his Miami hotel room in a cocaine-induced stupor the night before the game. He did not play, and Cincinnati lost to San Francisco, 20-16.

Ten years later, safety Eugene Robinson of Atlanta was arrested less than 24 hours before the Super Bowl for solicitation of prostitution. He played, and was beaten on a touchdown pass by John Elway as the Falcons lost to the Broncos, 34-19.

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/playoffs02/s/2003/0126/1499166.html

El Diablo

Starter

« #9 : January 22, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »

Maybe they would have won if it was 1995.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 22, 2013, 05:48:26 PM »

Ten years later, safety Eugene Robinson of Atlanta was arrested less than 24 hours before the Super Bowl for solicitation of prostitution.

Our society is ridiculous.    No way in hell should that be a crime.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 22, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »

same goes for Stanley Wilson's crime

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 22, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »

same goes for Stanley Wilson's crime

No, I think robbery is a crime.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-01/sports/sp-5027_1_stanley-wilson

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 22, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 22, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »

Bitter, washed up Receivers who got **CENSORED** slapped! by the TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS!!!!

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tim Brown crazy talk about Bucs Raiders SB « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools