Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte......"Tell all those Bucs fans back in Tampa I love them." « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 23, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »

JANUARY 22, 2013

Former Bucs coordinator Monte Kiffin happy to be back

MOBILE, Ala. –

Monte Kiffin is back, and he’s as energetic as ever.

The longtime Bucs defensive coordinator and, now, recently-hired Cowboys coordinator stopped by Ladd-Peebles Stadium this morning to scout players ahead of this weekend’s Senior Bowl, and he hasn’t lost a step.

“I love it in Mobile today,” he said, with his typical enthusiasm. “The sun is out. I love it. It’s just fun to be back and get it going and start scouting some of these players.”

After four years in the college ranks working with his son, Lane, at Tennessee and USC, Monte decided to part ways after the season and go back to the pro game, where he made his mark.

He said the decision wasn’t easy.

“It was good,” said Kiffin, who still owns his home in Madeira Beach. “I like college. College is fun.”

But there’s something to be said for being back in his most comfortable environment, as well as for having familiar faces around. Another former Bucs ssistant, Rod Marinelli, has joined Kiffin’s Cowboys defensive staff. Watching the two work together again will be compelling, at minimum.
 Kiffin is pumped up about it.

“He’s a knockout,” Kiffin said of Marinelli. “We started in 1996 with Tony Dungy. They found him out at Southern Cal, Rich McKay and Jerry Angelo. They said, ‘Tony, we need to go out and see this defensive line coach at Southern Cal.’

“He’s just a great ball coach. And besides that, he’s just a tremendous person. He’s a leader. The Bucs players, the Detroit Lions, the Chicago Bears, they all loved Rod Marinelli.”

Kiffin, 72, doesn’t act his age. He never has. And don’t expect that to change.

“I’m ready to roll,” he said.

As he walked away to look for his next defensive standout, Kiffin turned and offered these parting words: "Tell all those Bucs fans back in Tampa I love them."

Posted by Stephen Holder at 2:00:41 pm on January 22, 2013

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 23, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »

Love Monte man.

He meant a lot for that defense. Even if Sapp won't admit it.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 23, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »

Four years and four games short, Gramps.

In Verner We Trust

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #3 : January 23, 2013, 12:27:21 AM »

Back at you Monte.  Good luck keeping your sanity with your new boss.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 23, 2013, 12:29:17 AM »

Love you to Mr. Kiffin. I sure wish it weren't for your son though.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 23, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »

We love you Monte, always will.  Think your acorn fell pretty far from the tree though.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 23, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »

Chip Kelly is happier that Monte Kiffin is back.

Cowboys DC Monte Kiffin has on-field history with new Eagles coach Chip Kelly, and it’s not good

New Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin will see a familiar face across the sidelines this season, but he probably wishes he didn’t have to. On Wednesday, the Eagles made a splash by hiring former Oregon head coach Chip Kelly.

Known for his high-powered and explosive offensive, Kelly dominated Kiffin’s USC defenses as Oregon averaged over 601 yards of offense and 50 points while posting a 2-1 record.

Here is a look back at those three meetings:

2012: Starting with the most recent match-up, which occurred just a few months ago, Kelly’s Ducks had a field day in a 62-51 win. It was pretty much pick your poison for Kiffin in the Trojans. Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota racked up 400 yards of total offense and scored four touchdowns while running back Kenjon Barner rushed for 321 and five touchdowns. In total, Oregon gained 730 yards of offense, including 426 yards on the ground. Simply put, there was no stopping the No. 4 ranked Ducks.

2011: Kiffin notched his only victory against Kelly in this game when USC shattered Oregon’s title hopes and ended a 21-game home winning streak with a 38-35 thrilling victory. Kiffin’s defense held Oregon in check for most of the night. In fact, the Ducks trailed 24-7 until a LaMichael James 1-yard touchdown run with 7:05 to go in the third quarter sparked an Oregon explosion. The Ducks finished the night with 474 yards of total offense, but Kiffin’s defense forced two key turnovers and did just enough when it mattered most.

2010: In a year where Oregon reached the BCS title game, the Ducks ran over USC, 53-32. Kiffin’s defense gave the Trojans momentum after stopping Oregon on its first two drives of the game. But after that, it was all downhill. Doak Walker Award winner LaMichael James torched USC with 239 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. The Ducks also soared through the air as Darron Thomas passed for 288 yards and four touchdowns, three of which were caught by Jeff Maehl. Oregon finished just a yard shy of 600 and left Kiffin slamming his clipboard in his first ever game against the high-flying Ducks.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/a-look-back-at-how-monte-kiffins-usc-defenses-fared-against-chip-kellys-oregon-offenses.html/

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 23, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »

Chip Kelly is happier that Monte Kiffin is back.

Cowboys DC Monte Kiffin has on-field history with new Eagles coach Chip Kelly, and it’s not good

New Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin will see a familiar face across the sidelines this season, but he probably wishes he didn’t have to. On Wednesday, the Eagles made a splash by hiring former Oregon head coach Chip Kelly.

Known for his high-powered and explosive offensive, Kelly dominated Kiffin’s USC defenses as Oregon averaged over 601 yards of offense and 50 points while posting a 2-1 record.

Here is a look back at those three meetings:

2012: Starting with the most recent match-up, which occurred just a few months ago, Kelly’s Ducks had a field day in a 62-51 win. It was pretty much pick your poison for Kiffin in the Trojans. Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota racked up 400 yards of total offense and scored four touchdowns while running back Kenjon Barner rushed for 321 and five touchdowns. In total, Oregon gained 730 yards of offense, including 426 yards on the ground. Simply put, there was no stopping the No. 4 ranked Ducks.

2011: Kiffin notched his only victory against Kelly in this game when USC shattered Oregon’s title hopes and ended a 21-game home winning streak with a 38-35 thrilling victory. Kiffin’s defense held Oregon in check for most of the night. In fact, the Ducks trailed 24-7 until a LaMichael James 1-yard touchdown run with 7:05 to go in the third quarter sparked an Oregon explosion. The Ducks finished the night with 474 yards of total offense, but Kiffin’s defense forced two key turnovers and did just enough when it mattered most.

2010: In a year where Oregon reached the BCS title game, the Ducks ran over USC, 53-32. Kiffin’s defense gave the Trojans momentum after stopping Oregon on its first two drives of the game. But after that, it was all downhill. Doak Walker Award winner LaMichael James torched USC with 239 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. The Ducks also soared through the air as Darron Thomas passed for 288 yards and four touchdowns, three of which were caught by Jeff Maehl. Oregon finished just a yard shy of 600 and left Kiffin slamming his clipboard in his first ever game against the high-flying Ducks.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/a-look-back-at-how-monte-kiffins-usc-defenses-fared-against-chip-kellys-oregon-offenses.html/

Some coaches just dont do well in college, just like some dont do well in the NFL.  I dont think Kelly will be able to run that same gimmick offense in Philly so I give the advantage to Kiffin in the big boy league until proven otherwise.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #8 : January 23, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »

I gotta give the advantage to Monte here too. Making the switch to the 4-3 won't be the easiest task, but with Marinelli to help out, it will be a little easier.  Monte knows the NFL, and I think he'll have that defense humming, well before Kelley gets the offense humming in Philly.  Does make for a great story line for the NFCE next year.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #9 : January 23, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »

Tell him I give him the middle finger.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 23, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

Appreciate all that Monte did for the defense and helping to win the Bucs Super Bowl, but there always will be an asterisk for me on Monte's tenure in Tampa for the way he quit on the team at the end of his last season to focus on helping his kid out with his new coaching gig. Bucs were playoff bound when news got out that Monte was leaving and defense went in the tank after that for  a 4-game losing streak and no playoffs.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #11 : January 23, 2013, 02:27:06 PM »

Appreciate all that Monte did for the defense and helping to win the Bucs Super Bowl, but there always will be an asterisk for me on Monte's tenure in Tampa for the way he quit on the team at the end of his last season to focus on helping his kid out with his new coaching gig. Bucs were playoff bound when news got out that Monte was leaving and defense went in the tank after that for  a 4-game losing streak and no playoffs.
My thoughts exactly.  Felt like he moved out of Tampa in the middle of the night.  Good luck to him anyway.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 23, 2013, 03:15:11 PM »

I bet Monte makes that defense look great.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #13 : January 23, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »

Love Monte. Glad he's back in the league

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #14 : January 23, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »

Tell him I give him the middle finger.
U mad bro?
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte......"Tell all those Bucs fans back in Tampa I love them." « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools