Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It’s hard to see the Bucs – or any team –acquiring Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #15 : January 25, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »

i feel like the draft is a risk because we dont know how these college guys will transition into the NFL.  should we skip the draft?

we are talking about the best CB in the NFL...he aint gonna come free fellas.  a team will have to take some risk and pay some cash and picks.

i think there might be two trouble spots.  the jets asking price and the agents contract demands. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #16 : January 25, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »

Counterpoints for the sake of discussion...
They'll trade him because....

1. He can't be franchised due to his contract and they can't afford to resign him, so they lose him after 2013 anyways. Instead of getting nothing, why not get some great draft picks for a team that has a lot of holes and a new GM?

I'm guessing most of us don't know the Jets' cap situation for 2014, so how do we know they can't re-sign him?  Isn't it possible that the Jets come up with a long term deal that will free up some cap space for this year?  Logic tells us that they aren't going to bring Sanchez back after 2013 season, as all his guaranteed money will be gone after this year, so there'll be no cap hit.

2. He is a pain in the ars. He throws his coaches and teammates under the bus to the media, and he has held out once, threatened to hold out two other times. Who wants to deal that?

3. His injury makes him questionable. Will he be the same dominant player? Nobody can truly answer that. Who wants to give a HUGE contract to a guy when you aren't 100% sure he is still dominant? People thought Namdi Osomugragdsdgd was a sure fire stud and were willing to move heaven and Earth to get him....and we see how that went. Nothing is guaranteed and a serious knee injury makes it that much more risky. Once you sign the dotted line and guarantee him $35M....there are no do overs.

Both of these could be countered with... if that's the case (which I do believe is), why would any team want to take that kind of head case on for a long-term contract, unknown health status, and part with a lot or really good draft picks?  They are very good indications on why the Jets would want to trade him... but doesn't support why another team would trade for him.

4. They know they need a new QB and can't afford one. By dumping Revis and getting someones 1st round pick, maybe more, they not only free up much needed cap room, but they set themselves up to draft a top tier QB and WR in the 1st round of this draft and the next. Having an extra 1st round pick, maybe more, is good ammunition to pull off a big time move up to the top of the 1st round.....but they'll probably be picking top 5 anyways next year.

That's the thing... they don't free up cap room, it's the exact opposite, they take a $9M cap hit if he's traded before June 1st.  After June 1st your points are more valid, but at that point, other teams have addressed their CB needs through FA and the draft.  Now, not all of them, but the pool of potential buyers is a lot smaller.  In June, teams would be more willing to trade a future 1st round pick as teams have more focus on "this year".  I agree with you on the QB situation, but when you need a real answer at that position, this years draft doesn't really do that.  It would make more sense to do the deal in June where you get a pick next year.  Since Sanchez' deal is guaranteed for this year, we know that they're going to keep him, so they don't really need a QB this year (even though everyone knows [even them] that they do), but as stated, this years draft is slim pickings at the QB position.  Getting an extra pick or 2... or 3, won't help them at QB this year, so wait til next year.

My theory is that Rex is a dead man walking. The Jets will trade Revis and stick with Sanchez/Rex for one more year....so that they can pick top 5 next year and get a franchise QB along with a new coach. Look for the jets to get a future 1st round pick for Revis and then draft a WR in the 1st round this year so the QB they take next year will have someone to throw to. Next year they'll have two 1st round picks, at least one of them likely in the top 5. They can use those to move up to the 1st overall pick and take whatever QB they want..... probably Johnny Football. Then maybe they'll hire Gruden.

I do agree with this, but I don't think it happens before the draft.  As I've stated before, the Jets are currently $19M over the cap and trading Revis (before June 1st), will put them at $28M over the cap.  Financially, it's very unwise for the Jets to trade Revis in time to get picks this year.  Trading him after June 1st and etting more picks next year would be a better course of action.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 25, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »

i feel like the draft is a risk because we dont know how these college guys will transition into the NFL.  should we skip the draft?

we are talking about the best CB in the NFL...he aint gonna come free fellas.  a team will have to take some risk and pay some cash and picks.

i think there might be two trouble spots.  the jets asking price and the agents contract demands.

And they are getting rid of the best CB in the NFL? Something doesnt add up. They can make maneuvers happen to keep him. CB is one of the most important positions in football. Especially if you play against one of the best in Tom Brady twice a year. Something doesnt sound right.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #18 : January 25, 2013, 03:51:12 PM »

Another reason to pass....when something seems too good to be true, it usually is. Old Grandparent logic is never wrong.

I thought vjax was going to turn out great when he was signed. I said, "megatron of the NFCS" a few times. (Should have said "optimus")Turns out, he's pretty damn good.

With Revis, as long as his trade value is at a little over a first, or less, the juice would be worth the squeeze.

I only have one problem with giving them a first though. If it's this draft, fine, but next year will be full of QB talent. That should be Tampa's backup plan if freeman poops. I'm not so sure that would be wise to take ourselves completely out of that mix, even for Revis. Because as it stands now, there will be an abundance of CB's avalible after march 14.

You know jdub, "you get what you pay for" is also an old saying. Seems to me, the bucs have a problem with quality, rather than quantity. Think positive man! No matter what, as long as the glazers give the greenbacks out, we're all going to have one or two new shiney scapegoats to bicker about!

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #19 : January 25, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »

I will say that I agree with the title of Holder's article. At least the part about the Bucs.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #20 : January 25, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »

1. He is not the head case that is being projected. Problem was he outplayed his contract more than any CB in history.
2. It was dumb to put the no franchise clause into a deal. It meant he was almost destined to be traded eventually.
3. They not only need a new QB but new receivers too. They have more holes than we do.
4. Being out of their division and conference is a major plus.
5. He's the best defensive player in the league when healthy. That is worth a substantial risk. The reward could lead to playoff wins.

In Verner We Trust

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #21 : January 25, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »

And they are getting rid of the best CB in the NFL? Something doesnt add up. They can make maneuvers happen to keep him. CB is one of the most important positions in football. Especially if you play against one of the best in Tom Brady twice a year. Something doesnt sound right.

His contract is running out, he's their biggest asset, and they are trying to turn him into in multiple draft picks.  It makes perfect sense for them to shop him to see what they can get in return.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #22 : January 25, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »

So we give up a 1st or some other king's ransom.....to rent the guy for a year? Pass.

of course not, you give up a 1st if he restructures and signs an extension.

Exactly ....we've got to try this . If the Jets want too much , or Reavis wants to much , then pass ...but not until you give it a shot.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #23 : January 25, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »

Francesca just said on wfan that he thinks a first will do it. Maybe not, but perhaps a first and fourth.
Imagine Revis, Logan Ryan at CB. Not bad.

In Verner We Trust

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #24 : January 25, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »

His contract is running out, he's their biggest asset, and they are trying to turn him into in multiple draft picks.  It makes perfect sense for them to shop him to see what they can get in return.

True, you dont trade him now you risk losing him for nothing. Perhaps they have hit a wall with their negotiations with him and dont see him returning. In that case then yes I can see him being traded.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #25 : January 25, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »

Take Eric Wrights 8 million a year off the books and offer Reavis 12 million a year . That's only a difference of 4 million in cap space. Chump change.

I think Reavis would go for a long term deal at 12 million a year. If not he is being unreasonable and can go pound sand.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #26 : January 25, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »

Take Eric Wrights 8 million a year off the books and offer Reavis 12 million a year . That's only a difference of 4 million in cap space. Chump change.

I think Reavis would go for a long term deal at 12 million a year. If not he is being unreasonable and can go pound sand.

It's already been reported that it will take $14M+ to sign him long term.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #27 : January 25, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

Hypothetically, if we traded for Revis and signed him to a long term deal...he, Penn, Nicks, Jospeh, Jackson, and Penn would account for 50% of our entire salary cap. That's six guys taking half of the money...and none of those five guys are a QB. That is a recipe for disaster.

For $12M-$14M we could sign three or four very good players that would significantly help our team, and we wouldn't be giving up a 1st round pick to get them.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #28 : January 25, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »

It's already been reported that it will take $14M+ to sign him long term.

That is just TOO MUCH for this team.
I could see a team that was just a player or two away taking the chance but the Bucs aren't that close.

Turn the page.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #29 : January 25, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »

He won't get 14m from anyone. But I would make him the highest paid CB, no doubt. He's more than worth it.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It’s hard to see the Bucs – or any team –acquiring Revis « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools