Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dallas Cowboys « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 26, 2013, 02:38:26 PM

I'd like to see Gruden come back and see what he can do w/ an owner willing to spend money.

What an absolutely absurd statement. We spent the maximum cap every year while Gruden was here. We just spent it all on washed up vets.

what world are you living in?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 26, 2013, 05:31:38 PM

I live in the world where we had to run off all our defensive stars before they were done because we were in cap hell and couldn't afford to keep them. The world were we brought over every old ass washed up Raider and  gave them bloated contracts.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 26, 2013, 05:35:02 PM

JDouble - for a period of 7 years did less with less.  On a spending list of 32 the bucs were 32 - by tens of millions.  Doesn't mean Gruden would be any better at picking talent - but the money wasn't being spent - and it is fairly common knowledge. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 26, 2013, 05:42:54 PM

so from 2002 to 2005 we didn't spend money?

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#19 : January 26, 2013, 05:46:23 PM

Ironic that you only recognize old and washed up when they come from other teams. When they're our guys they're "defensive stars."

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 26, 2013, 05:47:12 PM

20 million less then the 31st team in spending- over a seven year period - just the math of it.  FRG has an explanation - which to me doesn't change the bottom line.  Started right around the purchase of the Manchester United franchise.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 26, 2013, 05:50:36 PM

Jdouble - iirc it was two or three years ago the bucs were in offseason with 58 million contracted, and the rest of a 130 cap open space.  Now that doesn't mean they didn't spend a lot of money up to the start of the season - just not nearly the available cap space. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 26, 2013, 05:59:58 PM

This is how I remember it. The Glazers forked out a buttload of money and draft picks to get Gruden. We bring in a few key guys on offense immediately and win a Super Bowl. The next year Gruden and McKay hated each other and we sucked. The next year McKay got the Ax, Allen came in and immediately got rid of Sapp and Lynch. Couldn't afford them because we were at the cap as I remember it.

Then, after letting Lynch and walk, we blrw the little bit of cap room we had on a bunch of old washed up vets like Todd Stuessie, Charlie Garner, and Derrick Deese.

After that it's kinda a blur of Mike Clayton, Caddilac Williams, Simms, Rattay, Gradowski, Rob Johnson, Garcia/Griese, Sean Mahan, Galloway, the "rights" to Jake the snake, and Tim Brown.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 26, 2013, 06:00:42 PM

Ironic that you only recognize old and washed up when they come from other teams. When they're our guys they're "defensive stars."

Yeah...Sapp and Lynch didn't do anything after Tampa..... ::)

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 26, 2013, 06:02:03 PM

Jdouble - iirc it was two or three years ago the bucs were in offseason with 58 million contracted, and the rest of a 130 cap open space.  Now that doesn't mean they didn't spend a lot of money up to the start of the season - just not nearly the available cap space.

Yeah I well aware of what went on from 2006 to 2010....but that includes two of Gruden's seven years. His first 4 or 5 years we were maxed out as I remember. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how I remember it. Whatever year it was we had like twenty some million in room. It was the first time we had any signification space and we signed Garcia & Jake the Snake....or tried.
: January 26, 2013, 06:03:59 PM JDouble

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 26, 2013, 06:05:01 PM

I'm not doing excuses - just making the observation - folks can make their own decisions

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 26, 2013, 06:07:55 PM

If someone can post a link that shows we didn't spend money from 2001 to 2005....I'd love to see it.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 26, 2013, 06:07:59 PM

Sapp wanted the "respect" of being paid more than he was worth, and Lynch wasn't even sure he could win a competition for the starting job. I guess that part of your memory is fuzzy.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 26, 2013, 06:09:39 PM

I remmeber Lynch offering to take a pay cut in order to stay in Tampa.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 26, 2013, 06:12:17 PM

But you forgot the part about him putting himself above the team and being unwilling to compete for the job?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dallas Cowboys « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools