Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every Possible Buccaneers' 1st Round Strategy « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 27, 2013, 06:36:37 PM

I like the Revis scenario along with the Werner dropping scenario. For the trade downs I like the Dion Jordan and Xavier Rhodes ones. I can't see Werner dropping to 13 but Dee Milliner maybe. I'd be pretty happy with Milliner.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#16 : January 27, 2013, 06:43:44 PM

" so that basically tells us he will be trading down or trading up in some point of the draft and there really isn't anyone to trade up for so he is probably trading down..."

The only thing it tells me is that you are prone to making wild assumptions.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

McCoy93

Starter

#17 : January 27, 2013, 06:47:19 PM

I like the lane johnson scenario. Sooner or later we are gonna have to get a tackle

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 28, 2013, 08:44:03 AM

What about running back? Schiano is re-inventing NFL football by running the ball and we have no depth behind Martin.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 28, 2013, 08:49:20 AM

shonn greene and jdubs guy from arky or lonnie pryor.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 28, 2013, 09:26:36 AM

As we get closer and closer to the draft I'll start to take out some different strategies as well as add more Rounds. Here is the Schedule per Round.

IF Keenan Allen is there (which I don't think he will be... but the chance does exist), he's the guy to take.  In a passing era of football, the Bucs have only 2 legitimate WR's on the roster... they need at least 1 more.  Drafting Allen also allows the Bucs to have an extra trade chip next year as I believe that by the start of 2014, Allen will most likely be better than Williams at that point.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 28, 2013, 09:33:32 AM

IF Keenan Allen is there (which I don't think he will be... but the chance does exist), he's the guy to take.  In a passing era of football, the Bucs have only 2 legitimate WR's on the roster... they need at least 1 more.  Drafting Allen also allows the Bucs to have an extra trade chip next year as I believe that by the start of 2014, Allen will most likely be better than Williams at that point.

oh please no.  it takes a special QB to truly make use of 3 to 4 receiving threats.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 28, 2013, 09:39:47 AM

I can't stomach another safety pick that early. I hope its either Banks, or Rhodes via trade down or Richardson or Milliner at #13.

Barron was a slam dunk pick that high. We'd be lucky to have a shot at a FS that was close in talent to him this year. I still on on draft rhodes in the 2nd and move him to FS bandwagon.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 28, 2013, 09:40:02 AM

oh please no.  it takes a special QB to truly make use of 3 to 4 receiving threats.
While I agree I don't see the need for Allen if your plan is a 3-wide receiving set for 2013-2014, but he could be good value as a long term BPA. Vincent Jackson isn't getting any younger and he's never been fast. Allen could be groomed to be the #1 WR in 2015.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 28, 2013, 10:20:46 AM

While I agree I don't see the need for Allen if your plan is a 3-wide receiving set for 2013-2014, but he could be good value as a long term BPA. Vincent Jackson isn't getting any younger and he's never been fast. Allen could be groomed to be the #1 WR in 2015.

Honestly, I think Allen would become the #1 WR on the team about midway through the season (providing his knee is ok).  I would draft Allen with the intention of trading Williams in next year.  I like Williams a lot, but I don't think his play will warrent what I think his financial demands are going to be.  I think Williams in a $6-$7M per year guy... I think he's going to want $9-10M.  It's just a hunch.  Worst case scenario is that he asks too much and you trade him and his replacement (Allen), will likely be better than him by the start of 2014 anyway.  Best case scenario is that we have one of the best receiving corps in all of football.  This is a make or break season for Freeman.  I say (and have always said), give him the best chance to succeed by surrounding him with the best possible weapons you can.

I believe that our pass rush will be immensely better next year just by having Clayborn back.  Coupled with a free agent like Sean Smith, Keenan Lewis, Brent Grimes, or Cary Williams in free agency would push back the need for help on the DLine and Secondary to the 2nd and 3 rounds.  They might be able to get a guy like Jordan Poyer in the 2nd and maybe a guy like Sylvester Williams in the 3rd.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 28, 2013, 11:15:58 AM

I can't stomach another safety pick that early. I hope its either Banks, or Rhodes via trade down or Richardson or Milliner at #13.

Barron was a slam dunk pick that high. We'd be lucky to have a shot at a FS that was close in talent to him this year. I still on on draft rhodes in the 2nd and move him to FS bandwagon.

Wow.

To say that pick was a slam dunk is nothing more than blind homerism. Barron was nothing more than average this year. The two picks after him were impact players for nearly the entire season. David and Martin were slam dunks...Barron was "meh". It was known that had limitations against the pass and he is not the ballhawk sort of S that would justify using a top 10 pick. That pick was an anti-slam dunk.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#26 : January 28, 2013, 11:36:57 AM

" Worst case scenario is that he asks too much and you trade him and his replacement (Allen), will likely be better than him by the start of 2014 anyway. Best case scenario is that we have one of the best receiving corps in all of football. "

I would say that worst case scenario is you've over invested in resources that you're unable to make use of, and end up deficient in other areas because of it.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 28, 2013, 12:06:10 PM

" Worst case scenario is that he asks too much and you trade him and his replacement (Allen), will likely be better than him by the start of 2014 anyway. Best case scenario is that we have one of the best receiving corps in all of football. "

I would say that worst case scenario is you've over invested in resources that you're unable to make use of, and end up deficient in other areas because of it.

Having 3 quality WR's is not an over-investment, it's still under-invested... regardless of how good or bad the QB.  Because I think your main point is Freeman, and to note - I'm totally with you on it - there's no solution for QB in this draft anyway, so that hole will still remain.  I still hold out hope that Freeman does turn out to be a good QB and giving him as many quality weapons is important.  Aside from Freeman though, what happens if Williams or Jackson gets hurt?  Not even seriously, just miss 2 or 3 games.  Who's the other WR?  There's not another WR on this roster that even belongs on the field in a 2-WR set.  EVER!!  Look at the Packers this year, they lost Driver, Jennnings, and Nelson for stretches of time and had to go with Cobb and Jones for a few games.  If the Bucs lost Jackson in week 2 and Williams in week 4, and they were both out til Week 10, I don't care how great the defense is, this team will be 0-6 in those 6 games.  Freeman right now isn't good enough to elevate the talent of the players he works with.  In his defense, I don't think Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or Manning would do much better with this receiving corp... though, if this receiving corp were in New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, or Denver, I do think they'd fair better.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 28, 2013, 12:23:07 PM

In his defense, I don't think Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or Manning would do much better with this receiving corp... though, if this receiving corp were in New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, or Denver, I do think they'd fair better.

can you better explain this?

i just think 3 stud WR's is overkill.  no one does that, especially not a team that has a QB who isnt known for distributing the ball effectively.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 28, 2013, 12:26:46 PM

i just think 3 stud WR's is overkill.  no one does that, especially not a team that has a QB who isnt known for distributing the ball effectively.
The bigger problem is if you wanted to draft Allen to be a third receiver, he has many of the same physical qualities as Jackson and Williams who both operate best on the outside. None are tailored for the slot.

As I said if you draft Allen, which I'm not against, you need to do it for him to be the #1 receiver in 2-3 years.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every Possible Buccaneers' 1st Round Strategy « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools